SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to show off what I have got so far in April.

Yesterday was the day of electricity pylons. Obelix in world forums rised the issues of such rarely mentioned structures as electricity pylons, and I remembered - there are some worth mentioning in Riga too.
These two enormous thingies bring electricity over Daugava in the northern part of Riga. There exists also tunnel under Daugava for electricity wires, hope to see it someday.
These pylons rise the wires high above the waterway in order for the ships to pass without danger. Distance between pylons - some 650 m. I think, their height is at least 115 m, but could be considerably more. The nearest one is located in Kurpnieku Island - nature reserve. Riga has 5 nature reserves.

Another interesting pylon is some 7 km south from Riga, where powerline crosses Riga hydropowerplant lake. The flight of wirse over the water - 1 030 m. Not far from the middle stands this enormous pylon - the height could be some 70 - 80 m.

Riga hydropowerplant lake (small part of it). This waterbody formed in 1973 - 1974, when Riga hydropowerplant started to work. This is insane to build such powerplants on flatland river. This could be the most expensive construction project in history of this country - tens of kilometres of enormous concrete dams to hold this incredible mass of water... Lots of beautiful things flooded.

Almost totally ruined just at the artificial lake stands one of the oldest masonry buildings on this shore of Baltic sea - Salaspils St. George church. It could be built around 1188. Only Ikskile church is older. This church is in ruins for several centuries already

Remnants of romanic arhitecture and graffiti of local inhabitants of Salaspils...

- - -
just a minute, some more things will come

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One Sunday we took a walk in Boulevards (two rings of parks between Old City and Art Nouveau Centre). No leaves- you could see far away.
-
Kalku iela - entrance in Old City

Kolonade - fancy restaurant near Monument of Liberty

Bastejkalns - artificial mound made in 19th century from the material of old fortification walls.

So - we wnt up and looked around. View over Old City towards Saules akmens. In forefront - grass covered underground car parking and the long building of Jekaba caserns.

Entrance in Old City and original medieval fortification tower - Pulvertornis.

View to monument of Liberty and Centre

Faculty of Biology at City Channel. Latvian entrepeneur Kristaps Morbergs built some 10 buildings of such size and granted to university... We need such people nowadays

City Channel got enormous reconstruction works five years ago. This is one thing done in bad quality - grass with steep slopes. Rain washed the soil away, plastic net is seen now in some places... Hope, they will bring new soil. The bridge is built five years ago too.

Pathway along City Channel. In the background you see ugly vagon - that's tram company working at introduction of low-floor tram.

Next to the Central Railway station there is on-going reconstruction and new construction of whole quartal. They have removed the inside of one Ecclecticism style building, just the outer wall stands (reinforced from the other side). I think - at first moment it is even hard to understand this picture. Some people really have loved blue paint on their walls...

The same - from the other side. Glass door of shop still informs about the opening times. Railway clock in the background.

Some houses:
Brivibas 37 - stylish library building with interesting late Art Nouveau ornamentation.

Current building of National Library. Not that bad either. When I took this picture one passer-by said - "Why do you take picture of this house? Riga has much better ones!" I started to explain that I take picture of every building, and he agreed that this is interesting idea.

Klostera Street in Old Riga one month ago. Renovated :)

"Supermarket" of late 1880ies along Marijas Street - part of the enormous Berga Bazars shopping quartal

Some churches in Old Riga - may be I posted this picture already

Art Nouveau rental house on Terbatas 33_35

enough for now

·
Banned
748 Posts
Gatis said:
Kolonade - fancy restaurant near Monument of Liberty
That's Lithuanian Cili Pica - not very fancy though. ;) As always - you make very beautiful pictures. :eek:kay: Your new lowrise dog looks cool too. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bastejkalns - artificial mound made in 19th century from the material of old fortification walls.

Then i was in riga some three men there taking i piss on that hill in the middle of the day. :cheers: too much beer i think :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gatis said:
Ehhh, one more. Heparticipates as well :)
very nice dog, very friendly eyes :)

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Gatis, you just never cease to amaze! :applause:

What a wonderful sequence of photos, and how nicely you make one flow into the next! :eek:kay: Your accompanying texts and descriptions are always first rate, giving information, explanations and also a delightful human touch. :)

Thank you a whole lot! So this was an overview of April ... I wonder what May will bring?

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for comments :)
Regarding the people taking piss on Bastejkalns... that's the problem with it. The top of the mountain is half-dead, not very cosy place. Only when there are no leaves, you can see something from Bastejkalns.
Before WWI there was standing cafee and now there was proposal to rebuild it - there would be also sightseeing platform.
Monument protection institutions finally have forbidden it. One of the reason's they said - there would be drunken man pissing around etc. Bulls..t. Tourist @de Sad sees reality in Riga better than some local heritage protectors.

·
always on
4,815 Posts
very nice,beutiful pics as always Gatis! I grave more Riga, the city still remains so mysterious to me, you are doing a great contribution Gatis!

arghh, you are upsetting me with the low floor tram coming, it will hit my ego hard that Riga will get them before Tallinn... and its now pretty clear!

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ch1le - don't say "hop" before you did it ;) All three Baltic capitals now are racing for low-floor tram and I am not 100% sure if Riga will be the first. Btw. all three Baltic passenger railway systems compete about introduction of modern passenger trains too - again it's not clear who would be the first.

I see Riga with very different moods. Many times the city seems to me ugly - it has sooo large areas which look bad. And so many important areas are empty and leave impression of semi-abandoned city, there are too many abandoned and unfinished buildings. But then you enter the lively parts of the city - and you can walk for hours and get impression that Riga is much larger and richer than it is in reality.
I think that this has to do with the tremendous fall of industry and population in the city - whole former city can not be "habitable", thus the people shrink their area of activity. The good areas now look much better and cleaner than in Soviet times, but the abandoned ones - those look worse.

Knowing about the big demolition+construction boom, which is only starting, I suppose that after 10 years the city will look much much better. But I don't know when it will good everywhere - may be never.

Btw. do you see that building in green net inside Old Riga?

One week ago active reconstruction works started there. This is Fitinghof building - it will have some of the most ornate interiors in Riga. Barocco style, if I remember correctly.

·
3:36
2,838 Posts
great tour, as always, gatis!

you showed us an old fortification tower... are there some more still left?
what did the towers of riga look like? were they all similar to pulvertornis? --> made of red bricks and with a roof that becomes sharper at the top?
when was pulvertornis built?

about that plastic net on the shores of the canals - in tallinn we have the same problem, the soil is totally gone on the slopes of toompea ):

i really love that riga has those canals, makes the city look more 'alive' or something... beautiful!

·
always on
4,815 Posts
well true Gatis... but Tallinn is just spreading big words and Vilnius is just sitting there - they dont have any tram infrastructure at all, while Riga is already marking tracks and making them suitable for low floor tram! Even if you do get them first (im pretty confident now) Tallinn will take notice.. we dont want to be second to anyone! ;)

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I can really affirm that all around Riga (mostly outside centrum) tram lines are reconstructed now - there are lots of works done anywhere. May be we will be first, who knows.
- - -
@Jarmo - this is the only medieval fortification tower which has been preserved in full. Pulvertornis is built around 1330, rebuilt several times. There is War museum inside - very interesting museum! Not far from it stands Reimersa tornis - but that tower was rebuilt in 1980ies, when it was trendy to rebuild old things. They used wrong brick and it looks too artificial to my mind.

Old fortification wall now is part of many buildings in Old Riga, some details of towers exist too. F.e. these buildings are at the wall, this gate was one of the entrances in the city. The building includes parts of Jirgena tornis.

Here you see Old Riga from air, you see also Boulevards around Old Riga. In the right lower part there is long building - Jacob's caserns. Pulvertornis stands next to it, in the lower part. Rebuilt fragment of Riga wall and Reimersa tornis is a bit up from it.
Riga castle is in upper right part, large building.

But Pulvertornis is the only one which still looks serious. Riga Castle has two or three (don't remember) medieval fortification towers too - this one is Lead tower (Svina tornis)

Riga towers were built of brick, may be the fundament was dolostone. Some had sharp endings like Pulvertornis, others did not have roof, had that jagged look like Toopmea tower in Tallinn has now.

·
always on
4,815 Posts
ah, riga, about Jagged look, i explained in one of my picture threads that all towers in tallinn have that "jagged" edge too ;) Its just that when the city was not at war the red roofs were removed ;) and that left jagged edges!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks for another nice photo-thread of Riga Gatis ;)

And i don't think it's Riga can be ugly, sooner or later all those "bad looking" areas will be gone. I think it's common problem in all cities around Baltics. ;)

BTW i will have to agree with deSad about that hill. But when i was in Riga only two men was ... here. :D

·
Janis_LV
387 Posts
This picture is cool. You can clearly see where the dense street network of a medieval city is interrupted by holes and chaotic constructions, because these parts were destroyed in second world war.

I think I am right if I say that Riga has suffered the major damages in the last war compared to other Baltic capitals. 25% of the Old Town was destroyed including it's heart - probably the most beautiful architectural ensamble in the Baltics - Riga Town Hall Square...
Riga will never be the same again without it :-(

Gatis can you post some pictures of aTown Hall Square before war? I have books with pictures but no scanner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts