Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Space Shuttle Atlantis is scheduled to land at Edwards AFB at 12:49pm...
Get ready to hear a Sonic Boom across SoCal a little before then!!!!

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was disappointed, I didn't hear a Sonic Boom this time (I usually do when it lands in Edwards)....

I did hear a SHORYUKEN though :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Haha, very cool Elsongs thank. I didn't hear it inside my house but that isn't too surprising. My bass really picked up the "boom".

·
Or is it?
10,769 Posts
I didn't hear anything at all and my windows were opened all day. I usually hear them though

I just remember everytime there is one my windows rattle

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
I didn't hear anything at all and my windows were opened all day. I usually hear them though

I just remember everytime there is one my windows rattle

So let me get this straight.... you did NOT hear the sonic boom, but you were able hear the air sirens!!!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I am actually in Redlands for the Weekend, and i heard the boom from within my mothers lving room, it sounded like someone banged an the windows!! it was pretty cool!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
OMG>>>>the rattling was a small earthquake plus, the Sonic BOOM!!! im trippin out!!!Exciting!!

Sonic booms likely cause of region rattling
Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell, Staff Writer SBCSUN.COM
Article Launched: 06/23/2007 12:00:00 AM PDT

Was it a derailed train, an earthquake or sonic booms? Well, according to sources from Caltech and Edwards Air Force Base, the whole lot of shaking that took place around 12:45 p.m. Friday was most likely caused by the latter.
John Haire, director of media relations for Edwards, attributes the shaking to double sonic booms created by the landing of the space shuttle Atlantis at the High Desert base north of Los Angeles at 12:49 p.m.

A spokesman for Caltech in Pasadena also said it was probably sonic booms that caused the alarming jolt.

But just to complicate matters, according to information on the California Integrated Seismic Net, a microearthquake with a magnitude of 2.6 occurred at 12:44 p.m. Friday, four miles south of Yucaipa, between Redlands.

That event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist, while the space shuttle landed for sure. So the booms do sound like the safest bet.

·
Entre Mundos
2,084 Posts
^^ now that you mention it, when I heard the BOOM, first I thought it was an earthquake so I checked the USGS page and I also saw the information about this minor earthquake that occurred about the same time as the landing! So that made me wonder if it was the Sonic Boom from the space shuttle or the earthquake that I heard ... but something is for sure, I did hear a BOOM!

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ now that you mention it, when I heard the BOOM, first I thought it was an earthquake so I checked the USGS page and I also saw the information about this minor earthquake that occurred about the same time as the landing! So that made me wonder if it was the Sonic Boom from the space shuttle or the earthquake that I heard ... but something is for sure, I did hear a BOOM!
It's purely coincidental. Seismographs measure vibrations from deep in the earth. Sonic booms are air vibrations and only vibrate as far as the surface.

·
Banned
213 Posts
I work out at Edwards Air Force base, and my building is a few hundred feet from the run way, so everyone in the building was up on the third floor balcony watching the landing, we probably had one of the best views of the landing on base. I've seen it four times now, and it never gets old. If you never seen a landing, it's definately a once in a life time thing that you should try to see. Since I work at a testing AF Base they break the sound barier every day, so I'm use to that, but the amazing thing is you hear the sonic boom and about a few seconds later you see little tiny white dot, and then it just falls out of the sky, and it falls fast... and just before the runway it puts it nose up and glides on in... but the freaky thing about it, is that its silent, because of course it glides in to land, but it's kind of un-natural, especially at an Air Force Base to not hear aircraft as they land.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts