SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im lost for words.??

Sophie De Lezio
Little fighter ... Sophie Delezio recovering from her burns at Westmead Childrens' Hospital / File picture

Little Sophie on life support

May 05, 2006

SOPHIE Delezio, the little girl who won the nation's heart when she survived an horrific accident at her daycare centre in 2003, is on life support in hospital tonight after being struck by a car.
Father Ron Delezio said the five-year-old was struck by a small sedan as her pram was pushed across a pedestrian crossing on Frenchs Forest Road in Seaforth, in Sydney's north, at about 4pm (AEST).

"She was in a pram crossing the road and someone didn't stop," Mr Delezio told Macquarie radio. "It just hit the pram." Sophie was airlifted to Sydney Children's Hospital, where acting executive director Dr Michael Brydon tonight said she had suffered significant injuries.

"She is very critical, she is on life support, and she is being very well managed from a pain point of view," Dr Brydon said outside the hospital in Randwick.

"At this stage, it is a little bit early to tell you the extent of them (her injuries) but she certainly has head injuries and chest injuries which are quite significant.

"She has had a very significant injury and we are worried about her. Her condition has not stabilised."

Advertisement:
Dr Brydon said her burns injuries from 2003 were complicating the medical team's efforts to assess her new injuries.

"Certainly, a little girl with injuries of her magnitude will certainly complicate her assessment and we're watching those and getting further information from Westmead (hospital)," he said.

Hospital staff, like much of the country, were left shocked by Sophie's accident, Dr Brydon said.

"I think this has rocked the whole of NSW, the whole country," he said.

"I think it's just a major blow to us all.

"The team that are looking after her are doing their darnedest to make sure she makes it another recovery."

Sophie was badly burnt in December 2003 when a car burst into flames after slamming into the Roundhouse Childcare Centre at Fairlight, in Sydney's northern beaches.

Sophie, then aged two, and her friend Molly Wood, also two, were pinned under the car and spent months in hospital recovering from critical burns.

Sophie lost both her feet, some fingers and her right ear in the accident.

Sophie's distraught mother Carolyn had asked people to pray for her little girl as police rushed her into the emergency department earlier tonight.

Lana Edser heard the mother's plea and took her daughters Jessica, four, and Lili, seven, to the hospital to begin a candlelight vigil.

Ms Edser, who lives nearby, said she did not know the Delezio family but felt sick to the stomach when she heard of the accident.

"I thought I would come and light a candle and say a prayer and hope for a miracle," she said.

"I thought of my own little girls. I'm not the most religious person in the world but the only way this poor child is going to come through is if everyone prays.

"I hope a lot more people will come and do the same thing."

The hospital said it had already received thousands of calls from people offering prayers and messages of support.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not putting the blame on anyone or jumping to conclusions on Little Sophie's accident, but as a general observation, the number of mothers who carelessly push their prams out onto the roads without first observing the oncoming traffic is rather frightening.

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ apparently it wasnt her mother pushing pram.but i know what you mean.
to go through this nightmare a 2nd time, is unbelievable.
latest news is that she will be ok but will be in intensive care for a few weeks. phew/

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's too unfair to be true.

We all share a personal prayer to our GOD (As we personally perceive our GOD to be) for the care and recovery of this dear child.

GOD BLESS HER

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^here here.
yet another elderly driver was the cause. An 81 year old man is now being treated for shock in hospital. maybe they should revoke licences for senior citizens?

·
Registered
584 Posts
^^^

Maybe we shouldn't be apportioning blame at this point in time. Perhaps this is just one of those times when we simply hope and silently will or pray for somebody's survival.

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm, its just a bit of a worry that she has been hit by a car again driven by an elderly person.dont you think?.driving straight thru a pedestrian crossing.
anyway,
god speed to her.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Well, it could have just as easily been a 'P' Plater (who is a lot younger and has faster reflexes and reactional mechanisms). 18-25's proportionally have more accidents and cause more fatalities than any other group in the population. There are always going to be so many "What If's?". As I said, this is not a time to be apportioning any blame. I personally think that it's inappropriate to be considering these thoughts at this moment. That's for an accident investigation team to determine, not a bunch of ninnies like us to speculate.

As for "GOD speed to her" ... We all totally share your thoughts.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
CULWULLA said:
^here here.
yet another elderly driver was the cause. An 81 year old man is now being treated for shock in hospital. maybe they should revoke licences for senior citizens?
That's crazy logic, should all 18 year old male drivers be banned everytime one of them causes an accident.

Bad laws are made when they are a reaction to one individual incident.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Adamonline said:
It's too unfair to be true.

We all share a personal prayer to our GOD (As we personally perceive our GOD to be) for the care and recovery of this dear child.

GOD BLESS HER
Agreed. I'm sure everyones thoughts and prayers are with her.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
This little girls story reminds me of an article in the Readers Digest that I read many years ago. A man was very badly burnt in a fire and for the time he had what was described as a miricle recovery that took a couple of years of hospiatlization and many operations but a few years later while driving alone on a back road at night his car ran into the back a truck and burst into flames and he was burnt to death. I have never forgotten that story.Fate? karma? who knows?
Lets hope and pray for a better outcome for little Sophie.

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zim Flyer said:
That's crazy logic, should all 18 year old male drivers be banned everytime one of them causes an accident.

are you stupid? why compare a 18 year old with an 81 year old?
Its a fact that after 60 years of age your sight goes along with reactions and driving skills. god knows what there like at 80+?
both times sophie was hit by a car it was by an very old driver.
sheesh?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This is terrible and my heart goes out the family again.

But when will people learn NOT to push strollers with babies in them into oncoming traffic? Regardless of whether it's a pedestrian crossing or not. I refuse to walk accross a crossing (or at lights) until cars have come to a complete stop.

You see people doing it everywhere.

I always slow down when driving anywhere near a pedestrian crossing and am constantly on the alert for people running into traffic. I see so many people run accross George Street and dodgeing buses and taxis everyday and it's scary.

I also hope the old man is OK too, people don't deliberately go out of their way to run people down.

Stories like this remind of that movie "Final Destination".. Creepy.

js

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ of course i hope old man is ok too,
A car was already stopped at crossing while carer and sophie were crossing, but the old driver was on the 2nd lane and must of thought it was clear. Maybe he should of realised that the car in next lane was stopped at crossing there for a reason?
yes ,the final destination movies are bloody creepy.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
CULWULLA said:
^ of course i hope old man is ok too,
A car was already stopped at crossing while carer and sophie were crossing, but the old driver was on the 2nd lane and must of thought it was clear. Maybe he should of realised that the car in next lane was stopped at crossing there for a reason?
yes ,the final destination movies are bloody creepy.
I should have added that I hope the carer is OK too. She / He must be feeling bloody awful.

I rarely cross the Bridge over to the Northside, the drivers are really bad and take no notice.

On a side note, the worst drivers in Sydney are from the South West, a trip down the M5 is a nightmare.

js

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
CULWULLA said:
zim flyer said:

are you stupid? why compare a 18 year old with an 81 year old?
Its a fact that after 60 years of age your sight goes along with reactions and driving skills. god knows what there like at 80+?
both times sophie was hit by a car it was by an very old driver.
sheesh?
I agree with Zimflyer. I think we have to look at the bigger picture rather than one isolated case. The statistics don't lie - the big problem is not the elderly but younger people. "Knee-jerk" reactions to a single extraordinary YET isolated incident don't mean that all elderly people should have their license taken away. They are already retested regularly after 80. perhaps this should be lowered. Most elderly people give up driving of their own accord.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts