SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've said it here before. I am totally reminded of it now with the Final Four this weekend.

Chicago shot itself in the foot. We blew it. Our mistake was huge.

We should have had a retractable roof on Soldier Field (or wherever we had chosen to put a Bear stadium downtown).

No and's, if's, or but's in my mind.

St. Louis is reaping a fortune on the Final Four, financiall (I've heard $70,000,000) and in great exposure.

Indy will be right up there for future Final Fours with the Colts' new dome

And NYC uses the draw of a future Super Bowl to push for a domed Jet stadium (I suppose that the Final Four is out of the question, with the NIT in town).

Chicago should be able to do what these cities do. Host a Super Bowl. Host a Final Four. Not only is it exciting, but it is profitable and it puts the city into the spot light.

I wouldn't have been crazy about a dome at Soldier Field, but if the stadium had been built elsewhere (likely as part of McCPl expansion) with a dome, it would have been a great facility for Chicago.

Guess I'll have to wait, forever I must admit,for my back-up idea: get an AFC team for Chicago and build a retractable dome at McCPl for them.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
the beauty of the new soldier field, and the magnificent day-to-day presence it has on our cityscape FAR outweighs any potential PR bonanza that might come our way once every 10-15 years had we built a stadium with a retractable roof.

final fours and super-bowls are neat i suppose, but chicago is big enough to be able to shun such hoopla.

·
Registered
185 Posts
^ 100% disagree, just more of "chicago is perfect".. looking at a UFO wreck far outweighs millions of dollars to the economy and excitement? Well then, let's just tear down McCormick place and put up some fancy shit to look at.

100% agree with edsg.. Forget the final four, not going dome was just stupid, period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.