SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News and information thread about south africa performance at the london olympics.

What are the sports SA will be participating in?

I know for sure swimming, after winning gold at the 2004 olympics in the 4 x 100

·
P.E. Aubameyang
5,932 Posts
My forecasts for the African medals in the 2012 London Olympics.

1. Kenya (12 medals)
2. Nigeria (07 medals)
3. South Africa (07 medals)
4. Morocco (03 medals)
5. Ethiopia (09 medals)

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How come south africa is not that good at the olympics? With all that infastructures, you guys can't produce good athletics runners? long distance runner?

I mean if oscar pistorious and caster semenya is the best athletics runner you guys got, you have a problem.

A small country like jamaica produce better runners than SA, why is that? If you wanna win medals at the olympics you should invest more in track and field :)

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My forecasts for the African medals in the 2012 London Olympics.

1. Kenya (12 medals)
2. Nigeria (11 medals)
3. South Africa (11 medals)
4. Morocco (9 medals)
5. Ethiopia (9 medals)
How did you come to that conclusion? South africa only won 1 medal at the 2008 olympics :lol: and nigeria won 4 and kenya with amazing 14 medals all of them in athletics

·
P.E. Aubameyang
5,932 Posts
How did you come to that conclusion? South africa only won 1 medal at the 2008 olympics :lol: and nigeria won 4 and kenya with amazing 14 medals all of them in athletics
SA :The swimming, the athletics and sport Anglo-Saxon (locust, hockey, etc.).

Nigeria: Athletics : Sprint 100m, 200m with the women, the sprint in group (man and women), Naija can have bronze medals. ;)

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SA :The swimming, the athletics and sport Anglo-Saxon (locust, hockey, etc.).

Nigeria: Athletics : Sprint 100m, 200m with the women, the sprint in group (man and women), Naija can have bronze medals. ;)
SA is not good at athletics, i like their 4x400 meters relay team tho!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
How come south africa is not that good at the olympics? With all that infastructures, you guys can't produce good athletics runners? long distance runner?

I mean if oscar pistorious and caster semenya is the best athletics runner you guys got, you have a problem.

A small country like jamaica produce better runners than SA, why is that? If you wanna win medals at the olympics you should invest more in track and field :)
My experience is that there are other environmental factors that affect the performance of athletes at the Olympics. Look at Kenya, they don't have more infrastructure than say South Africa and yet they produce more. Same can be said about Jamaica compared to the US and yet they probably get more medals when adjusted for the population size of the country.

Having said that, i believe we are definitely not performing at our best in the Olympics.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Track events are not big in South Africa. The moment a youngster shows athletic prowess he is usually moved into his school's rugby or tennis or cricket team and athletics usually comes last. South Africa's sporting talent should rather be judged in terms of our performance in rugby and cricket (in which we rank very high for both).

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Track events are not big in South Africa. The moment a youngster shows athletic prowess he is usually moved into his school's rugby or tennis or cricket team and athletics usually comes last. South Africa's sporting talent should rather be judged in terms of our performance in rugby and cricket (in which we rank very high for both).

Why should South Africa be judged based on your performance in rugby and cricket, why can't you just diversify your sports? This is why the USA dominates the olympics even australia does well in other sports considering its a rugby nation! :)

Why is all the money going towards those two sports? Why not invest more money in football and other major olympic sports? You are not going to tell me there isnt a young boy or girl in soweto, khayelitsha or and other hoods capable of running 100m in 10 flat?

Maybe if SA invest more money in football and other olympic sports they might be good as the rugby and cricket team :|

I want to see more diversity in SA sports

·
P.E. Aubameyang
5,932 Posts
South Africa needs to revitalize his young people in the love of the athletics and the sport generally. A country major as South Africa should also have the ambitions of a big sports nation.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
We do tend to underperform outside of our 'core' sports - it is a mindset thing, and also a legacy of SA's history.

Athletics has taken a back seat somewhat - but its not that bad! We have olympic golds in diverse events - swimming, high jump, marathon etc. We have medals in canoeing, polevaulting, boxing and hurdles.

Wrt Kenya - it is simple genetics and history - ALL their medals are in distance running. It is completely different. Mid-distance running up to Marathon level is one of the few sports where technology still takes a back seat to genetic and physical makeup.
Thus Ethiopia, Kenya are brilliant at those events - yet non existent in others.

South Africa has champions or world ranking players in almost every sport or event you can name.
We have won stages in the Tour de France, we have won the Paris-Dakar rally, we have numerous boxing champions. Tennis, hockey, rowing, tri-athlon, Golf...

I am just saying, we have a vast sporting landscape. I think in Africa, Nigeria and Zimbabwe are the only other two nations that compete at a high level in numerous sports.
In fact, for a smaller country, Zim has been extremely successful over the years.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My experience is that there are other environmental factors that affect the performance of athletes at the Olympics. Look at Kenya, they don't have more infrastructure than say South Africa and yet they produce more. Same can be said about Jamaica compared to the US and yet they probably get more medals when adjusted for the population size of the country.

Having said that, i believe we are definitely not performing at our best in the Olympics.
Kulani!! i didnt see your post :lol:

I don't think environmental factos plays a part, yes people with west african blood are usually sprinters(i.e Jamaicans) and east africans long distance runners. But mexico and bolivia have high altitude too how come they don't produce long distance runners. I think its in the gene, east africans tend to be skinny which is good for long distance running because the body spend less energy burning off heat.

Population doesn't play a factor at all, the U.S dominates the olympics because they train for most of the sports in the olympics otherwise India should be a top olympic performing country and not until recently china emerge to threaten U.S top spot.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We do tend to underperform outside of our 'core' sports - it is a mindset thing, and also a legacy of SA's history.

Athletics has taken a back seat somewhat - but its not that bad! We have olympic golds in diverse events - swimming, high jump, marathon etc. We have medals in canoeing, polevaulting, boxing and hurdles.

Wrt Kenya - it is simple genetics and history - ALL their medals are in distance running. It is completely different. Mid-distance running up to Marathon level is one of the few sports where technology still takes a back seat to genetic and physical makeup.
Thus Ethiopia, Kenya are brilliant at those events - yet non existent in others.

South Africa has champions or world ranking players in almost every sport or event you can name.
We have won stages in the Tour de France, we have won the Paris-Dakar rally, we have numerous boxing champions. Tennis, hockey, rowing, tri-athlon, Golf...

I am just saying, we have a vast sporting landscape. I think in Africa, Nigeria and Zimbabwe are the only other two nations that compete at a high level in numerous sports.
In fact, for a smaller country, Zim has been extremely successful over the years.
With rugby sevens joining the olympics in 4 years you guys can actually win something :lol: but NZ will have something to say about that.

How is the school system over there when it comes to sports? Is it like frantic777 said if they see a speedstar they move him/her to other sports? :nuts:

·
Registered
412 Posts
A country does not have to participate in all the sports. Rather focus on the ones its good at, which in the case of RSA is rugby and cricket. Why should we diversify away from that and merely become mediocre in more sports?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Kulani!! i didnt see your post :lol:

I don't think environmental factos plays a part, yes people with west african blood are usually sprinters(i.e Jamaicans) and east africans long distance runners. But mexico and bolivia have high altitude too how come they don't produce long distance runners. I think its in the gene, east africans tend to be skinny which is good for long distance running because the body spend less energy burning off heat.

Population doesn't play a factor at all, the U.S dominates the olympics because they train for most of the sports in the olympics otherwise India should be a top olympic performing country and not until recently china emerge to threaten U.S top spot.
Environmental factors play a big role. It has for long been known that the Kenyans are good long distance runners as they train in a high altitude country.

The US has even started conditioning their long distance runners in artificial low oxygen environments (in an oygen tanks) to be able to compete with the East Africans more equally.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A country does not have to participate in all the sports. Rather focus on the ones its good at, which in the case of RSA is rugby and cricket. Why should we diversify away from that and merely become mediocre in more sports?
There are 3 sports that key a country's performance at the olympics, athletics, gymnastics and swimming.

In athletics there are 47 gold medals up for grabs and 141 medals in total up for grabs for both men and women :nuts:

In swimming there are 34 gold medals up for grabs and 102 medals in total up for grabs for both men and women

In gymnastics there are 18 gold medals up for grabs and 54 medals in total up for grabs for both men and women.

If you focus on these 3 sports you are bound to do well at the olympics. You keep saying you should focus on the two sports you are good at, they don't have those sports at the olympics until rugby gets introduced in 2016 in Rio. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

·
Registered
412 Posts
South Africans are indifferent towards the Olympic games. Most South Africans do not really care how many medals we won at the games. But they do CARE about whether we win the Rugby or not. Athletics is not a big thing here.

for other countries such as Russia and China, the olympic games is a matter of national pride. For us, our Rugby is our national pride :)

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Environmental factors play a big role. It has for long been known that the Kenyans are good long distance runners as they train in a high altitude country.

The US has even started conditioning their long distance runners in artificial low oxygen environments (in an oygen tanks) to be able to compete with the East Africans more equally.
The U.S can use all the technologies in the world but they won't beat kenyans at running, its in the genes doc!

La paz Bolivia is 3600m :nuts: above sea level, nairobi is 1500m above sea level, adis ababa is 2500m above sea level, denver colorado is 1600m above sea level, mexico city is 2260m above sea level :nuts:

Why are bolivians not training like kenyans since they live in the highest altitude capital city in the world?

Its all in the genes, that is why east africans are good distance runners and west africans are known for sprinting, north africans are also good distance runners and southern africans are not.

·
Registered
298 Posts

SA is arguably the best country in African athletics with its main rivals being Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia & Egypt

SA is very good at Field events e.g Javelin, High Jump etc & Hurdles and will probably lead the medal standings at the current 2012 Africa Athletics Championships in Benin. The Olympics is a lot tougher but SA should win some medals and also do well in Swimming @ London Olympics.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
South Africans are indifferent towards the Olympic games. Most South Africans do not really care how many medals we won at the games. But they do CARE about whether we win the Rugby or not. Athletics is not a big thing here.

for other countries such as Russia and China, the olympic games is a matter of national pride. For us, our Rugby is our national pride :)
Is Rugby truly the pride of South Africa? :|

1 - 20 of 142 Posts