Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this interesting presentation regarding a feasibility study for a pipeline from the Vanderkloof Dam on the Orange river to Cape Town.

https://www.wamsys.co.za/cms/modules/media/scripts/documents/document.handler.php?media_files_id=655

The short version is as follows:
* The Vanderkloof Dam is over 6x larger than Theewaterskloof, Cape Towns largest Dam
* Supplying Cape Town @400 million liters per day would be equivalent of 0.4% of the dams capacity per month. This is half Cape Towns daily needs.
* The pipeline route would be approximately 820km and include 3 pump stations with the majority of the route gravity driven tunnels. These could be augmented by turbines allowing a hydroelectric component to be added.
* The projected cost of the scheme is roughly half of what the equivalent desalination plant would cost.

This solution seems quite sustainable and a good long term solution to a problem that in all likelihood is going to get worse over time.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sounds excellent. Why don't we ever hear about this from government? Instead we just hear about expensive desalination and environmentally unfriendly aquifer extraction?
I hope this proposal gets some consideration.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sounds excellent. Why don't we ever hear about this from government? Instead we just hear about expensive desalination and environmentally unfriendly aquifer extraction?
I hope this proposal gets some consideration.
If you look at the clients on their website you'll most likely conclude that this proposal was put together for government.

The current desalination and aquifer extraction are short term measures. There is no way a pipeline could be put together quickly enough for the current crisis.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
This was what I was discussing with my friends a few months ago. Major pipelines should connect all major dams in the country so when there's over supply in one region, it can pump water to the other dams and vice versa. Vaal Dam is overflowing and there's no water in CT?! It's a no brainer if cost isn't too high

1 - 4 of 4 Posts