SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,611 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
The Koeberg interchange in Cape Town was upgraded a few years ago, it used to be a nightmare but the upgrades were really helpful in alleviating the traffic tailbacks. This interchange is between the N1 and M5.

View attachment 2028592
Geez i remember the days when the piece of land on the top left was a golf course that i swore i never saw anyone play on lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Koeberg interchange in Cape Town was upgraded a few years ago, it used to be a nightmare but the upgrades were really helpful in alleviating the traffic tailbacks. This interchange is between the N1 and M5.

View attachment 2028592
Although it still backs up daily due to the 2 to 1 lane merge going onto the N1 outbound. (throughout the whole day)

Two things I would have liked to seen:

1. 2 lanes merging in on the M5 and N1 outbound.
2. 3 lanes heading into the City (it scales down to 2 under the overhangs)

They should have perhaps increased the budget, bought more land around the precinct to accommodate this and done this correctly from the start.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although it still backs up daily due to the 2 to 1 lane merge going onto the N1 outbound. (throughout the whole day)

Two things I would have liked to seen:

1. 2 lanes merging in on the M5 and N1 outbound.
2. 3 lanes heading into the City (it scales down to 2 under the overhangs)

They should have perhaps increased the budget, bought more land around the precinct to accommodate this and done this correctly from the start.
I agree, two lanes merging would be a great improvement.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's also Africa's first 4-level interchange: EB Cloete interchange / Spaghetti Junction in Durban, which connects SA's two biggest and most important freeways: the N2 and the N3.

Love this angle, although the 2 lower levels are not completely visible:

Source: KZN - Freeways, Highways & Trucking - KZN: A Photographic and Historical
Record

This will look crazy when the upgrade is complete:

Source: http://www.projectmanagement.org.za/resource/resmgr/ravi_ronny.pdf
I dont get the point of this upgrade, can someone explain it to me

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont get the point of this upgrade, can someone explain it to me
As far as I understand, the lanes will change from 3 to 6 in each direction which is too far to span without support columns. The arch structure will support the road deck from above alleviating the needs for pillars. {If this is incorrect, please feel free to correct this.}

·
Registered
34 Posts
As far as I understand, the lanes will change from 3 to 6 in each direction which is too far to span without support columns. The arch structure will support the road deck from above alleviating the needs for pillars. {If this is incorrect, please feel free to correct this.}
it was just from the 3d drawing the pillers for the top level flyover going right or left, the columns seem to be remaining, just wonder about that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.