SkyscraperCity banner

1941 - 1960 of 3272 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
There's an exhibition at Canada Water library today (till 2:30) by Kings College about their plans for the Mulberry business park, SE16

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just been to the exhibition. It's about the Mulberry site; King's College have an option to acquire the site and have developed advanced plans for a new accommodation site do prising about 700 student bedrooms, offices for 300 staff and some ancillary retail etc.
This scheme is a stand alone scheme and not dependent on the print works but obviously there are close synergies with the potential for a larger campus extending over part of the print site. They have indicative plans for that which includes teaching space and leisure facilities though those plans are not as advanced and they do not as yet own the land or have any options over it.
Some pics from the exhibition:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Oh, forgot to add that for Mulberry, they are looking to submit a planning application in April, and if successful by around Sept they hope to crack on and complete in time for occupation of the whole development in September 2016.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Did anyone manage to see the new Convoy's Wharf plans? They had an exhibition last Thursday and today in Deptford. I didn't manage to go but am hoping someone has some shots!

·
cartoon policeman
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,950
^^My first thought about the wonky placement was "Ooh, jaunty, I love it." My second thought was "But won't those gaps between the buildings be dark and sinister?" My third thought was "By the looks of the plan, the alleys will be blocked off anyway. I think I'll assume the architects know what they're doing..."

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
^^My first thought about the wonky placement was "Ooh, jaunty, I love it." My second thought was "But won't those gaps between the buildings be dark and sinister?" My third thought was "By the looks of the plan, the alleys will be blocked off anyway. I think I'll assume the architects know what they're doing..."
Yes, but there still is a little cubby hole there, and luckily these are not in the centre of town where they'd no doubt be ideal spots for rough sleepers or for people to piss in. They'd still be good mugging spots though.

·
cartoon policeman
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,952
Seems a strange concern to me. I've lived in Rotherhithe for 7 years and never heard of a mugging, and I can't imagine the arrival of a King's College campus would bring a crime wave to the area, even if there are some nooks between buildings. A fox hiding, maybe, or a couple of students snogging. Still, when we see the full plans I'll be interested to find out how they're planning to treat those spaces.

Anyone know who the architects are? I failed to ask at the exhibition.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Seems a strange concern to me. I've lived in Rotherhithe for 7 years and never heard of a mugging, and I can't imagine the arrival of a King's College campus would bring a crime wave to the area, even if there are some nooks between buildings. A fox hiding, maybe, or a couple of students snogging. Still, when we see the full plans I'll be interested to find out how they're planning to treat those spaces.

Anyone know who the architects are? I failed to ask at the exhibition.
I've known a few people closer to Greenland Dock who moved after constant break in's into the secure parking or a couple of home invasions from people pretending to be Royal Mail. But I suspect that has something to do with being closer to the Pepys estate!

It's not so much the reality of mugging spots as just more concealed areas you have to keep your eyes open for.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Greetings from the North East England forum, I'm not sure if I've come to the right place for a South East London question, but this does relate to a certain building in Welling/ East Wickham.
I'm quite a big fan of Kate Bush, who while having upped sticks from here a long time ago, grew up in East Wickham Farm and also did a lot of recording here in the early years in her own studio. However, seeing a photo of the building from last year, it appears this listed building has become decrepit, with nasty looking barbed wire on the fence and graffiti on the gate. Also it does belong to someone called Owen Bush, possibly a relative, but the whole place looks very run down. Anyone know any more about East Wickham farm and PMs are welcome?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went to the Canada Water forum where Allies & Morrison presented the King's College plans for Mulberry site in detail, from what I remember permeability is restricted via the north and south entrances for everyone, students would enter the buildings via the same route, to encourage the thoroughfare. The east and west ends would normally be limited to staff and students, I think with the use of security desks. Around the perimeter were commercial units and social housing, which had no normal route to the main thoroughfare (the osl Surrey Quays BHS back entrance was quoted as an example to avoid).

It's well worth having a chat with A&M if you can, as I may be wrong on the above. I've been in Rotherhithe for nearly 20 years and I think these plans are light years ahead of anything else. I was born in Kings and am a Kings graduate so will be slightly biased though!!!

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
English Heritage has also raised objections to the proposed tower, warning that it will spoil the view of Tower Bridge when seen from London Bridge.
maybe power just makes people go deranged?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think quoting the area action plan 'restrict development in the core area to between generally 5 to 8 storeys' seems to be the moot point. There are already 3 towers, that is 2 at canada estate and the new barratt one in progress.

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
I travelled on the 188 bus the whole length the other week and I have absolutely no idea how the councillors can be so sure of a context.

Dont they have better things to be noticing? Like making sure of the quality of the development as a whole and promoting new facilities for the neighbourhood?

1941 - 1960 of 3272 Posts