cartoon policeman
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,962

·
cartoon policeman
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,963
Piece on regeneration in Rotherhithe in the ES -
http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property_news/smart_moves_and_new_homes/rotherhithenewtownandwatersidehomes.html

Parts of it are stupid ("Rotherhithe will have [...] a community of its own"), and parts are incorrect or out of date (e.g. reference to BL planning 1000 homes, rather than a King's College campus, on the printworks site).

But the gist is right: the area was transformed in the 1980s and 90s, with the filling-in or conversion of the docks, loads of new brick houses, lots of yuppie flats along the river, etc, but now that the Jubilee Line and Overground are well established and the new library and Maple Quays are a success, there's a big second wave of regeneration just getting underway, which will bring more life (restaurants and bars etc) and probably make it a less good-value residential area than it's been up to now.

·
Registered
651 Posts
When will the Heygate finally start to be demolished? Looking at the pictures of the sad fire in the Cumin museum today a big Heygate block is visible. How long has it been empty now?!

·
cartoon policeman
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,967 (Edited)
New hoardings up at Downtown Place, and it's branded Redwood Park after all. Good choice.

http://www.barratthomes.co.uk/new-homes/greater-london/H309201-Redwood-Park/

http://www.barrattlondon.com/projects/redwood-park-rotherhithe-se16/

I like their pic of Russia Dock Woodland, not one of London's better known parks, but my local one...

When will the Heygate finally start to be demolished? Looking at the pictures of the sad fire in the Cumin museum today a big Heygate block is visible. How long has it been empty now?!
I don't know, but the same question has been asked on this thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=496579&page=36

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
http://www.propertyweek.com/news/news-by-sector/retail/tesco-hands-dockland-quays-to-british-land/5052517.article

Tesco hands dockland Quays to British Land

Sale of share in Surrey Quays mall paves way for wholesale redevelopment

British Land is gearing up for a vast redevelopment of Canada Water in London’s Docklands, after taking control of the Surrey Quays Shopping Centre.

Property Week can reveal that the REIT has bought out Tesco, its 50:50 joint venture partner at the 309,000 sq ft mall at Canada Water, for a price thought to be around £50m.

With full control of the Tesco Extra and BHS-anchored scheme, British Land is now free to forge ahead with its plans for a significant retail and residential development in the Southwark borough.

In May last year British Land and Tesco won planning consent for a £34m extension of 110,000 sq ft of retail space at the Surrey Quays Shopping Centre (pictured). As sole owner British Land is now expected to start this development early next year.

In June last year Property Week also revealed that the REIT had bought the 14.5 acre former Daily Mail printing works at Harmsworth Quays, next to Surrey Quays Shopping Centre, for around £50m. The site is understood to have the potential to be redeveloped into around 1,000 homes and can now be seamlessly linked into the redevelopment of the mall.

British Land will take possession of Harmsworth Quays towards the end of this year. Earlier this month the council agreed to allow Daily Mail-owner Associated Newspapers to transfer its leases to British Land, which is now believed to be working up a masterplan that it will reveal later this year.

The purchase of the half-share of Surrey Quays is British Land’s first deal since the £494m share placing it revealed earlier this month.

Announcing the issue, British Land said it would seek to use the capital to invest in assets in London and the south-east that offered “accretive opportunities”.

British Land gained its initial 50% stake in the mall in December 2009, after buying out Segro. The Tesco Extra store and filling station provides around 50% of the income on the scheme.

The proposed extension will sit in front of the existing entrances to the shopping centre and provide 18 shops and restaurants, as well as four kiosks. A comprehensive refurbishment of the existing mall will also be undertaken.

All parties declined to comment.
Interesting! It sort of implies that Tesco's store is up for redevelopment.

I suspect if true, that a new Tesco would have to be built elsewhere on any of the sites they have. But it opens up the possibility of phased redevelopment of the Mall, maybe a new anchor like Marks or Waitrose.

It could see flats above the shopping centre as well.

Or might not mean very much at all.

·
cartoon policeman
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,970
^^Wow, I didn't see that coming.

If I remember rightly, the existing plans for extending and refurbishing the mall have planning permission but the consent is being judicially reviewed. Speculating wildly here, but I wonder if Tesco are anticipating that SBC will lose the JR, but don't want to go back to the drawing board, whereas BL (which is investing in the area generally) is up for it. If so then I'd expect significant further delay, which is unfortunate, but potentially a more ambitious and expensive scheme.

I doubt Tesco would actually close their store, which is very successful - but they are presumably giving up their effective veto on a competing grocery store opening up in the same mall, which doesn't seem likely in any event.

In other news, the Standard's Homes & Property section, which recently did a piece on Rotherhithe, has a similar one on Deptford today - gentrifying fast to some people's comfort and others' alarm, staying vaguely funky, New Capital Quay with a Waitrose, blah blah.

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property_news/smart_moves_and_new_homes/deptfordrisenewriversidehomeswaitrose.html

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
^^Wow, I didn't see that coming.

If I remember rightly, the existing plans for extending and refurbishing the mall have planning permission but the consent is being judicially reviewed. Speculating wildly here, but I wonder if Tesco are anticipating that SBC will lose the JR, but don't want to go back to the drawing board, whereas BL (which is investing in the area generally) is up for it. If so then I'd expect significant further delay, which is unfortunate, but potentially a more ambitious and expensive scheme.

I doubt Tesco would actually close their store, which is very successful - but they are presumably giving up their effective veto on a competing grocery store opening up in the same mall, which doesn't seem likely in any event.

In other news, the Standard's Homes & Property section, which recently did a piece on Rotherhithe, has a similar one on Deptford today - gentrifying fast to some people's comfort and others' alarm, staying vaguely funky, New Capital Quay with a Waitrose, blah blah.

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property_news/smart_moves_and_new_homes/deptfordrisenewriversidehomeswaitrose.html
T
I don't think Tesco would close their store either, unless a new larger alternative was on offer. I can see them moving a short distance though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From what I remember, the shopping centre extension plans were nothing special, hopefully this could see something more grand!

On the Decathelon tower, it looks there is massive local objection:
http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/DocsOnline/Documents/284644_1.pdf

I should've thrown in a letter of support but I would probably have been lynched unless it was done anonymously!

·
cartoon policeman
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,973
^^Yep, just two clear expressions of support there, most people against on grounds of height and/or effect on local infrastructure. I didn't write in on this one - if it's a "yes or get nothing" decision then I'd hope it would go ahead, but I think some challenge from planners wouldn't be the worst thing in the world - the designs are no masterpiece.

·
cartoon policeman
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,974 (Edited)
1961 - 1980 of 3276 Posts