SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start the official southern transport thread :)

Starting with this.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/lo...ti-million-pound-bus-priority-route-1-3958731

The infamous 'back to front bus stop'

This to me shows the importance of a co-operative metro area. The A3 Bus Corridor comes under both Hampshire County Council and Portsmouth City Council. The plans were for a metro style bus corridor with live information and priority traffic, however it never quite worked out. Surely working under two councils is just causing extra hassle? Isn't it about time Portsmouth had more control over it's suburbs like London and Manchester? Transport for Greater Portsmouth (TfGP) or something...

·
Pompodian in Exile
1,791 Posts
This is the official bus stop thread then.... Can't wait to see what the bus stops on the Bristol BRT will look like!!!!!!

Seriously tho, that's one extraordinary **** up.

Sadly as things stand Portsmouth is about as likely as Tunbridge Wells to get an ITA/PTE. However in Bristol, It's looking increasingly likely that with the new Mayor will come devolution of transport powers. The renegotiation of the great western franchise will likely include the crucial Filton Bank works, it's a really rosy picture for Bristol.

·
Pompodian in Exile
1,791 Posts
I thought that as i was typing...

But I've thrown caution to the wind. I am at heart a realist but I can't help but be optimistic about Bristol transport. It's all going to come together perfectly... :)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
M4 J3-12 Managed Motorway

Upgrade to existing road under motorway restrictions

Cost; £ 725m

Length: 31 km (19.3 miles)

Scheme Outline

Upgrade of the existing M4 to allow dynamic hard-shoulder running (use of the hard shoulder as an extra lane during busy periods) between junctions 3 and 12. The scheme may also include through-running at junctions 5, 6 and 7. Between junctions 6 and 8/9 hard shoulder running will only be possible with reconstruction of overbridges, which are currently too narrow to permit continuous hard shoulders.

The aims of the scheme are to relieve congestion and improve journey times.

The start of development work was announced on 08 May 2012, to be funded post 2015

·
Resident Ignoramus
4,080 Posts
M4 J3-12 Managed Motorway

Upgrade to existing road under motorway restrictions

Cost; £ 725m

Length: 31 km (19.3 miles)

Scheme Outline

Upgrade of the existing M4 to allow dynamic hard-shoulder running (use of the hard shoulder as an extra lane during busy periods) between junctions 3 and 12. The scheme may also include through-running at junctions 5, 6 and 7. Between junctions 6 and 8/9 hard shoulder running will only be possible with reconstruction of overbridges, which are currently too narrow to permit continuous hard shoulders.

The aims of the scheme are to relieve congestion and improve journey times.

The start of development work was announced on 08 May 2012, to be funded post 2015
These are cropping up everywhere now. The M4/M5 Almondsbury area Managed Motorway scheme is now fairly advanced. Pilings are mostly complete on the M4 section, as are embankment/refuge works. They've also pulled down some of the old gantries in readiness for the new ones, which are being assembled on Aztec West business park.
Due for completion Spring 2014.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Outline of some recent road scheme that are about to start construction or in public enquiry.

Dunstable northern bypass

new link road betwenn M1 and A5

Public enquiry

One of the biggest is the package of new bus lanes/ guided bus roads and some new roads as part of the new BRT package for Bristol all stages are about to start construction soon.

The link from Ashton vale is the most segregated with mostly guided bus roads

Green new guided bus , red new bus lanes and beige existing bus lanes.

Light blue is land take to widen roads and fit in new bus lanes.

This links into the South Bristol link with a new road linking the A370 to the airport road and a new bus road combining into a new combined road with separate bus lanes.

City centre loop

If anyone else wants to cover the North Bristol scheme in more detail, they can as it will eat my photo bucket account.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Portsmouth

Tipnor regenration site, new motorway junction and a large new park and ride to city centre and gunwharf. About to start construction.

Exeter M5 Junction 29 improvements. The start of further new roads to open up the Eastern side of the city for more housing.

Kingkerswell bypass, starting in August speeding up the journey to Torbay

·
Registered
137 Posts
should Bristol transport get its own thread? I think it needs it as there suddenly seems to be a lot of things going on and being talked about.

Re BRT - an interesting video on the Curitiba (Brazil) system that to my mind shows how quirky station design can really add to the offering by creating the perception of it being something beyond just bus transport.

above vid is part of an interesting article with other pics here

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2012/06/growing-popularity-bus-rapid-transit/2164/

·
Registered
16,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We were promised a Tram, and now the want for one has been thoroughly rekindled. Petition your councillers, don't let THAT happen to you.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Your sticking to Bristol and places like that.
There are no foults with reansport from anywhere west of Plymouth, the only problem in Plymouth is the constant replanning of the roads outside Drake Circus, which causes confusion, therfore it takes a good 30 minutes to travel to Charles Cross and back up again. *end of rant*

·
Not Cwite There
9,181 Posts
Portsmouths shitty BRT we got instead of the Tram we were promised is averaging a whopping 14 passengers in the rush hour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-19571310

People said they were willing to switch to a Tram but not a Bus. They didn't lie.
There's always a lag when anything new is opened. Experience from Cambridgeshire is that their BRT is attracting high passengers numbers and people who were previously dead against it now 'absolutely love it'.

·
Registered
16,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It has been open long enough now and people hate it even more. People STILL want a Tram (some want Heavy Rail but it would be useless for an urban route)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts