SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a general thread about sports including dolphins,marlins,heat,panthers,hurricanes and any other that i'm forgetting

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well the heat won last night,and so clinched the overall best record in the east meaning that they've got homecourt advantage and the #1spot.

now were trying to get the best ovrall record in the league

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the marlins won yesterday when they beat up on john smoltz and the braves 9-0 thanks to a grand salm by juan encarnacion.they play again tonight.they also had the largest opening day crownd in team history 52000+

the dolphins are sucking like usual,the draft is in late april and they will probably trade down and get antrell rolle from U.M. or get the running back from auburn.ricky is still planning to comeback maybe something 5 years from now since he owes wayne huizenga 8million.

the panthers are taking an extended offseason,and i heard that we recently got another minor league arena league football team,they play at the miami arena.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea the dolphins are still my favorite miami team,although they suck

the heat and marlins right now just have a bunch of bandwagon fans which i refuse to be.

i support every miami team even the panthers

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok the draft is today,

dolphins selected ronnie brown with the second pick,terrible pick.

marlins won i think last night,and playoffs begin today but heat play tomorrow,lets go heattttttttttttttttttttttttt! anyone got tickets they soldout in like 1hour

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i don't think he was better than cedric benson or cadalliac will. and i was for trading down and getting aaron rodgers.

w/e antrell rolle got picked 8th by arizona he probably the only UM player whos going in the 1st round,last year we had 5 go in the 1st round

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't like brown because he only had one good season.not that thats a big problem (willis mcghaee)but i wanna see i player that had atleast 2 good seasons

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think washington is harder since they have jamison,arenas,and hughes

but chicago only has gordon and hinrich and alot of role players

so i hope we get chicago

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
steve nash is reportedly mvp

and the heat are to face washington wizards on sunday for round2

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
man last night was so annoying,i noticed how much i dislike RICK aka RIP HAMILton

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
miami never loses 2 in a row,we only lost 2 in a row once in the regular season so i expect us to bounce back.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Detroit_Mahn said:
Good game you guys. I think Miami played exceptionally. However, many people discredited the Pistons and their abilities. But, regardless, Miami played one of the best games I've seen.

whoa great game detroit you beat a team with 5 hurt starters,and what are you talking about all the espn analyst were talking about how detroit was going to beat us in 5 or 6 games.

now looking to the future get rid of eddie jones and that rediculous 8 year deal worth 80million dollars.......and lets get someone who can actually score when we need him to....also we need to sign shaq and wade to longterm deals and actually get a new bench

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
nimbyhater said:
now ur talkin about my sport... these past few weeks have been brutal... lowell, pierre, and lo duca gotta step it up and prove to be the bats that they once were... and leiter better get his shit together... when valdez gets bak, i say put him in for leiter and leave in moehler whos pitching great, hes just not gettin the run support that he needs...

we're a world series caliber team, if we start to click like we were at the beggining of the season when we have a comfortable lead in first of our division, but we gotta step it back up, cause were def in the toughest league in all of baseball...

i don't think its one persons fault,i think its the whole teams fault.
we've been losing because we haven't been scoring any runs,also because are getting to many errors,are relievers suck ass.... and are starting pitching cooled off from how they were at the beginning of the year.

hopefully we get shit str8 becuase we've lost i believe 10 out of the last 13

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
the heat yesterday signed shaq and also signed udonis haslem.nothing at alll compared to what is expected to be the biggest trade of the offseason when
(sf)eddie jones gets traded to memphis for jason williams,james posey,and player to be named later,the heat are then expected to trade for antoine walker.

this trade is suppose to be announced soon

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
in an unrelated note fish lose last night 3 to 1,but have been playing good over the last 10 games

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Largest trade in NBA history sends Antoine Walker to Miami

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
August 2, 2005
MIAMI (AP) -- In the largest trade in NBA history, Antoine Walker was dealt from Boston to Miami on Tuesday night in a transaction involving five teams and 13 players.

The Heat also acquired point guard Jason Williams and small forward James Posey from Memphis, while the Grizzlies received guard Eddie Jones from the Heat. The New Orleans Hornets and Utah Jazz were also involved in the deal.

The trade was larger than a 12-player, four-team deal in 2000 involving Patrick Ewing that had been the biggest in league history.

Miami also received Andre Emmett from Memphis and the draft rights to Roberto Duenas of Spain from the Hornets; Utah received Greg Ostertag from Memphis; Boston picked up Curtis Borchardt from Utah and a package -- Qyntel Woods, the draft rights to Spanish center Albert Miralles, two second-round draft picks and cash -- from Miami; New Orleans acquired Rasual Butler from Miami and Kirk Snyder from Utah; and the Grizzlies received guard Raul Lopez from the Jazz.

Hours after signing Shaquille O'Neal to a five-year deal, the Heat added three significant pieces to a roster that nearly reached the NBA Finals last season.

``We traded a lot, but we got back three quality players,'' said Heat president Pat Riley. ``Antoine Walker is one of the very best multi-faceted, versatile players in this game. ... He is able to handle the ball, pass it, make plays, shoot 3's and rebound the ball. There isn't anyone in this league better at doing that.''

Walker, a three-time All-Star, figures to become the starting small forward and would be backed up by Posey, one of the league's better defenders.

Walker signed a six-year deal worth nearly $53 million with Boston as part of the deal's preliminary framework, and agent Mark Bartelstein said he appreciated the Celtics' willingness to help out their longtime forward.

``Antoine is thrilled,'' Bartelstein said. ``This was a grueling process trying to put a sign-and-trade together. This took a lot of time and work and energy from a lot of people.''

Williams would take over as Miami's starting point guard if Damon Jones leaves as a free agent.

Eddie Jones exits Miami after five years with the Heat.

``I spoke to him and he's appreciative of the five great years he's had in Miami,'' agent Leon Rose said. ``He's proud that he's helped build something, although it's unfortunate that he won't be able to see it to fruition. But he wishes the organization nothing but the best.''

Riley wished the three players leaving Miami well, especially Eddie Jones, whom he called ``the consummate professional through thick and thin.''

``I know he had fun and he was a major part of this,'' Riley said. ``But in order to get something good back, you have to give up something good going out. I wish him nothing but the best.''

Memphis acquired Borchardt earlier Tuesday in a deal in which Sacramento got Bonzi Wells from the Grizzlies in exchange for guard Bobby Jackson and Ostertag.

The Hornets did not give up any players under contract in the megatrade, which was approved by league officials late Tuesday night.

``Our cap flexibility is what allowed us to get these two players as part of this deal,'' Hornets general manager Allan Bristow said. ``We were able to acquire two young, quality players while only giving up the rights to a player who has never appeared in a Hornets uniform.''

Walker, who averaged 19.1 points and nine rebounds last season for Atlanta and Boston, will be a welcome addition to the Heat, said forward Udonis Haslem -- who formally signed his $30.7 million, five-year deal Tuesday.

``We're two different players and we can bring two different things to the table,'' Haslem said, a few hours before the trade got done. ``If we put that together, we should have a pretty good tandem.''

Miami reached Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals this past season -- even though O'Neal and Dwyane Wade were both hurt at the time. And not only was Jones a starter on that team, he was the Heat's best perimeter defender -- a role that Heat president Pat Riley and coach Stan Van Gundy have long valued.

Eddie Jones, a career 16.4-point-per-game scorer, averaged 12.7 in the regular season and 13.7 in the playoffs as Miami's third option.

``Eddie Jones is an All-Star caliber player who has had a terrific NBA career. He is a great 3-point shooter who will make an immediate impact on our offense, while also serving as a solid defender in the backcourt. We look forward to Eddie finishing his NBA career in Memphis,'' Grizzlies president Jerry West said.

Williams averaged 10.1 points and 5.6 assists for the Grizzlies last season. Riley likened his playmaking ability to Steve Nash and Jason Kidd.

``He is a very athletic, quick, explosive scorer and has great experience,'' Riley said. ``One of the reasons why we are making the trade is that we haven't had anyone here like that since Tim Hardaway left.''

Posey was limited to 50 games this past season because of injuries, and only 18 starts. He averaged 8.1 points and 4.4 rebounds.

The trade capped a flurry of activity by the Heat -- who moved quickly once the league's moratorium on player signings expired Tuesday at noon EDT.

O'Neal was signed to a $100 million contract; the move was expected, although the contract was considerably smaller than what O'Neal figured to command.

Haslem said the team has full confidence in whatever personnel choices Riley and general manager Randy Pfund make.

``Since I've been here, they've made great decisions,'' Haslem said. ``And I'm sure they'll make the right decision here.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-five-teamtrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
miami's to do list
1.win championship-------still pending
2.sign shaq---------------done
3.get rid of eddie jones----done
4.long term contract wade-still pending
4 1/2-get a proven scorer-done
5.acquire another guard----done
6.get a 6th man-----------done
7.sign udonis haslem ------done
8.sign dmon jones----------still pending
9.change banner outside triple a-still pending
10. save some money on car insurance-still pending

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
well this football games was being announced everywhere,although i dislike both schools because both are our rivals it was still an intresting match but everyone knew belen had no chance,there are widespread rumors about columbus having illegal and uneligible players,and also about steriod use.or atleast that what we say at gables high whenever our football team loses to them.
----------------
Columbus tops longtime rival Belen

BY DAVID OVALLE

[email protected]

For decades, the schools' battles have been of perceptions.

Belen Jesuit Preparatory, they say, are the nerds, the geeks. Christopher Columbus Catholic High School, they say, are the jocks, the meatheads.

But on a sweaty Friday evening, the natural rivalry between the prestigious, private, all-boys Catholic schools was cemented with the most American of pastimes:

Football. Smash-mouth, bone-crushing, emotionally raw football.

''It's a gladiator sport. It's the nature of it -- you get to go out there and prove who's more of a man,'' said Belen grad Jorge Varela, 45.

''C'mon, it's football -- what more can you say?'' said Columbus grad Gene Bechamps, 48.

And so fans flocked to the first gridiron meeting of the two schools long known for churning out prominent civic and business leaders such as Miami Mayor Manny Diaz (Belen) and Miami-Dade County Commissioner Carlos Gimenez (Columbus).

The Columbus Explorers beat the Belen Wolverines 21-7 in the exhibition game at sold-out Florida International University's football stadium. But in the end, the build up and extension of the rivalry mattered more than the final score.

Many Belen and Columbus students are Cuban American. Many grew up together, attended grade school together. They chase the same girls. When they graduate, they'll grow old together.

The schools are roughly five miles apart in Southwest Miami-Dade. Columbus was founded in 1958; Belen in 1961.

Two hours before kickoff, underneath a white tent and over fresh-smelling grass, alumni from both schools mingled to the blare of tropical beats.

For months since the game was announced, they've looked forward to this game, scrambled for tickets. Belen's football program didn't start until 1972 and never really had the talent pool to play Columbus.

IN COMMON

Most of these alumni share the same faith and have kids who go to their alma mater. Some have married girls who, back in high school, preferred the rival.

''You get guys who hated each other in high school here sharing beers,'' said Alex Ramos, a 1987 Columbus grad.

''We always wanted to play Columbus but we knew they were always afraid to play us,'' said Albert Lucas, 39, a 1984 Belen grad.

Around the corner, the rivalry was a wee bit less civil because the front-line soldiers were current students.

Belen's student body council set up a tailgate party, complete with giant inflatable Wolverine head, DJ and food catered from a popular Mexican restaurant. They even had Julio Jimenez, 17, a senior, dressed in thick, furry Wolverine mascot uniform.

''I gave my body up for this inferno,'' he said with pride. ``It feels like I'm wearing two sweaters.''

Across the way, Belen school buses cruised by to a chorus of jeers from red-clad Columbus students. Somebody launched a football at the procession.

PLAYING FIELD

Readying to enter the game were Columbus students Eric Marti, 15, and Eric Rodriguez, 14, both ninth-graders. Like the rest of Columbus, they're still smarting from two straight losses to Belen in basketball.

''This is our revenge,'' Eric Rodriguez vowed.

He added: ``The real competition is with the girls.''

Football and basketball aside, getting the girls from sister schools Our Lady of Lourdes Academy and St. Brendan Catholic High might spark the most competition at the all-boys schools.

THE FANS

Among the fans were Lourdes students Monica Font, 17, and Janelle Urquiola, 16.

Monica shunned wearing blue or red, opting for a lime green top.

''I have friends on both sides. I can't pick sides,'' she said.

Janelle was more decisive. ``I'm Columbus. My boyfriend goes there. They're like the jocks.''

The football game may be over today. Trust us, the rivalry will still simmer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.