SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The good old days are now
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's on the front page of Le Magazine on the south shore. That whole area around J-C bridge in Longueuil is getting extremley developped now.

PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL AT CHAMPLAIN COLLEGE?

Gilles Pétel
Magazine (The Saint-Lambert, LeMoyne and Greenfield Park weekly)

The Magazine has learned that Champlain College os St-Lambert has begun serious discussions on the possibility of accomodating a professional baseball club that would take part in the activities of the International League. In conformity with the league's standards, a stadium of about 5,000 seats would be built on the current site of the College's parking lot. The General Manager of the College, Donald Shewan, did not want to divulge the name of his respondent "but this last represents a group of Quebecois businessmen interested in the project", he told us. "We believe that this location situated in front of the interchange which leads to Jacques Cartier Bridge and the highway 132 exit is the ideal place", said Mr. Shewan. In addition, this would favour a multifunctional project where basketball, soccer and football could find thier niche and live togehter.

A MAJOR OBSTACLE

"The snow depot must disappear. We are formally against renewing the lease with the City of Longueuil and particularly St-Lambert, the main user. We will thus make a representation to the authorities of the Maritime Park, owner of this section of the terrain", specified Mr. Shewan. This lease ends in 2007. Then on the costs of the project, Mr. Shewan does not want to divulge any figures. But keeping in mind the number of seats, we can evaluate the cost of the project at over $1 million. To carry out a project of this magnitude, the General Manager hopes that Longueuil and the demerged cities agree and resolve their problems as soon as possible. "And I'm not the only one talking about the agglomeration budget. All this fighting for power between Longueuil and the demerged cities, merging and demerging, does nothing but up the costs," said Mr. Shewan.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

In addition, Champlain College of St-Lambert will have a football team in the College AA league as of this year. "The team's management, including the coach, has already been chosen. And as of next month, training will begin. We plan to convene a meeting in the next few days to unveil all the details of this training. I also want to emphasize the important collaboration of businessman Bob Taylor. We are very happy with his involvement and Mr. Taylor's personality will only serve to raise the prestige of our institution", concluded Mr. Shewan.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
boo ! this is horrible news for Vanier students ;)

Good news for Montreal :)

·
SS-man: Semen Shedder
1,765 Posts
Good place for a stadium, there is nothing between college and metro but parking lots. A small stadium would be great addition.

The location discussed in the article is St.Lambert and not Longueuil - not that is matters but it might help a bit since Longueuil is badly managed imo

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yeah!!! For Champlain!!! I graduated from Champlain in 1996. I never partieas much as when I was in CEGEP! I still can,t beliee i managed to graduate from there!?

"The location discussed in the article is St.Lambert and not Longueuil -"

Actually, technically speaking, the CEGEP building itself is in St-Lambert, while the Parking lot is in Longueuil. Tiffin street separates St-Lambert from Longueuil!

As for the Stadium, at 5,000 seats it would be pretty small, and as for a professional team, i've never heard of this international League.

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
habsfan said:
Yeah!!! For Champlain!!! I graduated from Champlain in 1996. I never partieas much as when I was in CEGEP! I still can,t beliee i managed to graduate from there!?

"The location discussed in the article is St.Lambert and not Longueuil -"

Actually, technically speaking, the CEGEP building itself is in St-Lambert, while the Parking lot is in Longueuil. Tiffin street separates St-Lambert from Longueuil!

As for the Stadium, at 5,000 seats it would be pretty small, and as for a professional team, i've never heard of this international League.
I had no idea there was another Champlain forumer here!! And yes, there are a lot of parties, almost no time for school work and sleep. :) Just out of curiosity, what program did you take? I'm taking a business/accounting program (they're in demand=$$$). Did you have Jim Hnatchuck by any chance?

As for the International League, it was the League that the Montreal Royals were in, and the Ottawa Lynx. It's also known as AAA. http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/index.jsp?sid=l117
But 5,000 seats is a bit small for even a AAA stadium, they need something more like 15-20K seats.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I had no idea there was another Champlain forumer here!! And yes, there are a lot of parties, almost no time for school work and sleep. Just out of curiosity, what program did you take? I'm taking a business/accounting program (they're in demand=$$$). Did you have Jim Hnatchuck by any chance?
Yeah, I was at Champlain from 1993 to 1996. I took some time off in between, and fvcked around for 3 years basically! I graduated in Social Sciences, but I took a fair number of business and Math classes(Cal 1, Cal2 and Linear algebra)

Yes I had Jim Hnatchuck for Microeconomics. What a fat prick! He had a major case of Francophobia!

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In High School they preached about how tough CEGEP would be, but its not that bad. Maybe its just Champlain, but it could be the case in all CEGEPs. I'm taking CAL next semster, wonderful.

LMAO, Jim Hnatchuck is definatley an eccentric... I have him for Macroeconomics, he's never on topic. I never got the sense that he had a major case of francophobia though. Although he may be a bit different now than from when you had him, and he could have softened in his old age. I could understand that someone would get offended by his imitations though, they are racist.

Reason I brought up Hnatchuck is because many Champlain students have had him some time when they were there. Everyone seems to have a slightly different take on him. He's definatley one of the more memorable teachers there, with his odd behaviour and stange stories, etc... He reminds me a bit of what Homer Simpson would look like as a real person, but shorter. :lol:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I you have to take any geography or Western Civilaization classes, I strongly recommend you take Atanas Katrapni(if he's still there).

He is by far and away the best teacher i've ever had(including my years at Concordia university!) I swear to you, you won't regret it. The guy knows his shit, and he makes it interesting for the students as well. Very knowledgeable man!

Another good teach(for Math) was Pandit Kachroo. Very kind teacher(which is a rare thing for Math teachers!) He's also very patient!

Other teachers that I had that were good, include. Paul Leblond (litterature(satire) very funny guy!
Aminu Said (Quant. Methods) good guy as well.
John Jones (history) He used to come to class drunk(booze in his coffee) but was very interesting as well!
Richard Rinke and David Millar(both Sociology teachers) were Ok as well!
Sandra Ward, I used to have the hots for her. I wonder what she looks like 12 years later???? Good teacher as well!
Teachers you must avoind...

Surinder Lal (Humanities) the most boring teacher on the face of the planet. he will put you to sleep with his monotone voice.
Mordechai Glick (psych. of Sexual behaviour) The man teaches Sex, yet is afraid of using words like ****** or *****! Go figure? He's a nice guy though!
Ellie Malus(sociology) Ultra feminist, kiss her ass real good or else be ready to fail!
Rochelle Kolodny, The female version of Surinder Lal. Boring!!!!!!!!

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, Atanas Katrapani is still around. I think he's now the head of the social sciences department. I had to take a few Geography courses, however didn't get him in either of them. In Western Civilization I had a good teacher, Marc Charpentier. He made us write a lot of notes but he was interesting. I'll be sure to try and get Atanas if he's an option in a course I'm taking.

Pandit Kachroo I believe left a few years ago. At least that's the last time he has been rated on this site (oddly the students seem to have given him bad reviews): http://www.ratemyteachers.ca/schools/quebec/st-lambert/champlain_st-lambert_college

Out of the other ones you mentioned I believe that most if not all of them are still there. If I ever get any of them in a semester in the future, I may report back here. Most teachers seem to mellow a bit over the years, although the interesting ones are always interesting and the boring ones are always boring.

John Jones I do have, although he doesn't seem all that drunk now. He is a stereotypical Aussie accent. Is this the John Jones you know :lol: http://www.locksrugby.com/gallery/images/GordonJohn Jones&Laura.JPG

Mordechai Glick I had last semester for Intro to Psych. I think he loosened up a bit since you had him because he would occasionally swear in class, etc, but then he'd laugh afterwards. I guess it's an improvement. I guess the explanation for him being awkward about saying words like ****** and ***** is because he's also a Rabbi, not sure if that would make him afraid to say the words or not. Just wondering what did he say instead? Did he just point to a chart or did a use childish synonyms? :lol: If you want to see what he looks like now: http://cms.psychologytoday.com/usne...fid=40302&sid=1143228205.36_2777&state=Quebec

·
SS-man: Semen Shedder
1,765 Posts
habsfan said:
I you have to take any geography or Western Civilaization classes, I strongly recommend you take Atanas Katrapni(if he's still there).

He is by far and away the best teacher i've ever had(including my years at Concordia university!) I swear to you, you won't regret it. The guy knows his shit, and he makes it interesting for the students as well. Very knowledgeable man!

Another good teach(for Math) was Pandit Kachroo. Very kind teacher(which is a rare thing for Math teachers!) He's also very patient!

Other teachers that I had that were good, include. Paul Leblond (litterature(satire) very funny guy!
Aminu Said (Quant. Methods) good guy as well.
John Jones (history) He used to come to class drunk(booze in his coffee) but was very interesting as well!
Richard Rinke and David Millar(both Sociology teachers) were Ok as well!
Sandra Ward, I used to have the hots for her. I wonder what she looks like 12 years later???? Good teacher as well!
Teachers you must avoind...

Surinder Lal (Humanities) the most boring teacher on the face of the planet. he will put you to sleep with his monotone voice.
Mordechai Glick (psych. of Sexual behaviour) The man teaches Sex, yet is afraid of using words like ****** or *****! Go figure? He's a nice guy though!
Ellie Malus(sociology) Ultra feminist, kiss her ass real good or else be ready to fail!
Rochelle Kolodny, The female version of Surinder Lal. Boring!!!!!!!!
LOL can't believe you still remember their names after 10+ years. I was in Champlain too but latter on and in Sciences, but I remember the ********** Lal though. Prepared me well for boring ass, caffeine addicted, center of the umiverse, white ivory tower McGill profs.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Is this the John Jones you know
Yup that's him, except that he used to have a mustache!

Mordechai Glick... If you want to see what he looks like now
Damn, he's got a beard now!!!GO figure?

but I remember the ********** Lal though.
AHHH! How could anyone forget Surinder lal? I used to fall asleep in every one of of his classes. He would confiscate my baseball cap everytime i walked into his class.(i used the cap to cover my eyes!!) I managed to pass his class by the skin of my teeth. Now that i think about it, he really sucked!

LOL can't believe you still remember their names after 10+ years.
Do you remember Linda Spear? I took her once for a class(don't remember which one). 1st day of classes, she walks into the class(with her horrible sandals and grey construction socks) puts her bag down on the desk. Looks at the class and says: "hi, my name is Linda Spear. I'm a lesbian and I hate men!"

At that point, me and the other 11 guys in the class got up and went straight to the registrars office to drop the course!!!!

Ahh good times, good times!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts