Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First reports are coming in of proposals to develop the ex-Debenhams building at what is proposed to be called Houndwelll Place Home | My Site 2

The tallest building will be 17 floors

For now here are some photos of the letter sent to local residents, posted on Southamptons Heritage Photos. Elevations and plans are available on the site but are in a format I can't upload from my phone.

·
Registered
186 Posts
2 sounds like it will be welcomed by lots of people for the site.

"1. Hogland’s Lane
A spacious entry portal that establishes a positive relationship between Hogland’s Park, the development and the newly created Houndwell Plaza.

2. Houndwell Plaza
Flexible public space designed to support social interaction, respite, events and markets. The spaces accommodate places for rest and natural shade ensuring it is useable all times of the year.

3. Concealed and Integrated Parking
Natural materiality within the car parking space with carefully positioned tree planting softens the public realm feel and ensures a more people friendly environment.

4. Houndwell Place Edge
This natural edge provides a mix of biodiverse planting beds incorporating trees and recessed seating to allow for respite seating areas set back from the pavement. "

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems they've used the old plans from the Bargate Quarter (there is an opening along York Gate that has been closed, and there isn't the larger gardens along the line of the old walls). I think that extra tower on Orchard Lane was to be student flats, not sure what came of that development. I like that the new plans for Debenhams include the ability to keep walking from the Bargate Quarter's garden street into the Houndwell Place public plaza

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The curves to the site are still in place, so that's nice. It's a bit of a shame it has been slightly cut in size, but that elevation shows a nice skyline from the park, and it should be fairly dramatic entering the top of Queensway with the two tall buildings on each side (I think the Bargate Quarter tower may have slightly increased in size in the new scheme too). The building on the far left of the elevation is the cancelled hotel, however, so won't be there (no visuals of the school proposed in its place have been released but I can't imagine it will be a particularly tall building)

Also, the new building doesn't float. That would have been cool.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The curves to the site are still in place, so that's nice. It's a bit of a shame it has been slightly cut in size, but that elevation shows a nice skyline from the park, and it should be fairly dramatic entering the top of Queensway with the two tall buildings on each side (I think the Bargate Quarter tower may have slightly increased in size in the new scheme too). The building on the far left of the elevation is the cancelled hotel, however, so won't be there (no visuals of the school proposed in its place have been released but I can't imagine it will be a particularly tall building)

Also, the new building doesn't float. That would have been cool.
I did notice Arch just beat you to posting the same early details for Debenhams, and 'phillil' also predicted that the 21 floors would get cut down to 15 - not quite but, unfortunately, still plenty of time for a further hair cut!

·
Registered
309 Posts
And I agree, the curves shown on both the proposed 17 storey and also the 13 storey (Bargate Quarter) on the other corner do make for an attractive entrance onto Queensway.

I guess there's a desire to get on and develop these two sites plus the Toys R Us area so that, if we were to be successful and win City of Culture 2025, the centre won't just look like one big construction site with cranes dominating the skyline - particularly close by to this city's most famous monument, the Bargate and also the Civic Centre clock tower.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Judging from this council article Popular city centre apartment scheme welcomes councillors (southampton.gov.uk) the leaseholds for the development on the Tuned in Site went very quickly.

The demand for the City and the need for expansion is driving it forward, the fact the things will look nice for the CoC bid is an added bonus.

(also the Hope School is also due to go onto the East Street Shopping Centre site)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Is it an unwritten rule that an apartment tower facing the water has to have balconies and one facing inland, doesn't?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it an unwritten rule that an apartment tower facing the water has to have balconies and one facing inland, doesn't?
I hadn't clocked the lack of balconies! That's not on. Hope the council forces their hand on that

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now has a planning application
21/01851/FUL | Demolition of the existing vacant department store and redevelopment of the site to deliver a residential-led development with the erection of 3 blocks 6-17 storeys in height comprising 614 residential units and 2 no. ground floor commercial units (Use Class E) to East Street, and associated car parking and landscaping and public realm. | Former Debenhams, Queens Buildings Queensway Southampton SO14 1NH

Nothing much new, the tallest point will be 59.55m AOD (54.7m in height)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Interesting that the tower in the initial drawings was 21 floors, I'd assumed it was chopped to 17fl as it interfered with the city protected views, but looking at the map NodNol posted that doesn't appear to be the reason this time unless I'm missing something (which is not necessarily unusual!).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Interesting that the tower in the initial drawings was 21 floors, I'd assumed it was chopped to 17fl as it interfered with the city protected views, but looking at the map NodNol posted that doesn't appear to be the reason this time unless I'm missing something (which is not necessarily unusual!).

View attachment 2662127
Protected view of St Michaels Spire from Mayflower park....?

Buildings in the background would have to "frame" the spire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts