SkyscraperCity banner

2161 - 2180 of 6562 Posts

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
The police appear to not give a f*** about grafitti. It is an absolute disgrace what is happening to this city especially in the last six months. The police are just as much to blame as the vandals.

NOST & PORK could easily get caught via their social media accounts.
NOST & PORK are on social media for heavens sake!!!!
If only the police cared.

If NOST and PORK were Mohammad NOST and Amir PORK and they painted ISIS logos you bet the police would be onto these dopes. Absolutely they would track them down immediately.

It is embarrassing. This is not the most liveable city any-more with this rubbish everywhere and I do mean everywhere.

·
Marvellous Melbourne
438 Posts
^ Totally agree with you bd2. I am appalled at the increase in tagging & grafitti. My own building got tagged and MCC removed it and the very next day - there it was again. There's so much apathy to deal with this.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Haha I still reckon Oriolus calls it when the E25 MD makes its first incision .. But great pic either way !! Looks like the piling boom (the long rod the drill heads attach to) has been delivered too so can't be far off.

Speaking of the big beast - here she is at work in her previous lives on 567 Collins & Springvale Rd Grade Sep projects ..

Pics courtesy of Geotech Instagram - https://instagram.com/geotechgroup/

Still seems strange they would set up those construction huts in that corner when they have to ultimately pile there as well but again I presume BM know what they're ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Hmmmm....

Is it somehow implied that if Nost or Pork manage to break into the site tonight and emblazon their scrawl all over the E25 MD then that will constitute sign writing hence a determination that construction has commenced?

No! I can't wait any longer!!

I think my bananas have now died in waiting!!

:dead::dead::dead::dead:

·
Registered
12,632 Posts
A-brain # Still seems strange they would set up those construction huts in that corner when they have to ultimately pile there as well but again I presume BM know what they're ..

I thought they would nestle the construction huts over the City Rd footpaths in the heavy steel facade bracing ? I know tree limbs cut through but still there seems to be room ?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
It's already classed as under construction on CTBUH. Such a small site for Australia's tallest :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
A quick question - with Turnbull / National being so popular right now, is there a chance that they will win VIC in the next election and when is the next election ?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
A quick question - with Turnbull / National being so popular right now, is there a chance that they will win VIC in the next election and when is the next election ?
Next State election is 2018 and the Libs have only won 3 State elections in the last ~35 years. Malcolm's charm offensive doesn't wash when it comes to State voting intentions, it's all up to the competency of the Andrews government to deliver outcomes on time and on budget. That will be Guy's biggest weapon if they stumble. Andrews is projecting a much more can-do attitude than the Libs ever did in government and he's also lot more popular than Guy and Labor comfortably leads 55-45 in the polls. At least two Labor terms from my perspective. If the public can swallow multi million dollar compensation bills for an East-West scrapping then any budget blowout for a project like MetroRail is unlikely to be politically expensive until the next Labor term.

·
Go for it!
1,231 Posts
^ Totally agree with you bd2. I am appalled at the increase in tagging & grafitti. My own building got tagged and MCC removed it and the very next day - there it was again. There's so much apathy to deal with this.
About time these idiot taggers were put in jail and made to pay for their damage.The politicians are also to gutless to deal with this scourge.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Plus there is often the old conclusion that Libs are best suited to Federal, and well complimented by Labor at the state - their respective roles tends to match their party ethos.

·
Proud Victorian!
7,463 Posts
Next State election is 2018 and the Libs have only won 3 State elections in the last ~35 years. Malcolm's charm offensive doesn't wash when it comes to State voting intentions, it's all up to the competency of the Andrews government to deliver outcomes on time and on budget. That will be Guy's biggest weapon if they stumble. Andrews is projecting a much more can-do attitude than the Libs ever did in government and he's also lot more popular than Guy and Labor comfortably leads 55-45 in the polls. At least two Labor terms from my perspective. If the public can swallow multi million dollar compensation bills for an East-West scrapping then any budget blowout for a project like MetroRail is unlikely to be politically expensive until the next Labor term.
If cancelling infrastructure, new public holidays and putting a halt to skyscraper development is what passes for a "can-do attitude" these days then we're deeper in the poo than I thought.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If cancelling infrastructure, new public holidays and putting a halt to skyscraper development is what passes for a "can-do attitude" these days then we're deeper in the poo than I thought.
You're so delusional, you're in for some genuine heartache in 2018.

• The level crossing removal project alone will start to show real benefits once the first few are completed. A government seen to be doing something about congestion will always be popular.
  • 99.99% of the population do not care AT ALL about shorter buildings in the city. The incessant preoccupation with the premier and the planning minister is all in your head.
  • Cancelling infrastructure? As long as the TBMs have started by 2018 for the metro project, Dan Andrews will be reelected with an increased majority.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
It's nice to hear individual opinions. They are so varied!

• The level crossing removal project alone will start to show real benefits once the first few are completed. A government seen to be doing something about congestion will always be popular.
  • 99.99% of the population do not care AT ALL about shorter buildings in the city. The incessant preoccupation with the premier and the planning minister is all in your head.
  • Cancelling infrastructure? As long as the TBMs have started by 2018 for the metro project, Dan Andrews will be reelected with an increased majority.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,177

Point 1 - True, but doing so in a manner that some are already questioning the validity of some of the decision making will be interesting to see. Already seems that many have picked up on the priority of projects and the possible electioneering tactics being utilised in how this was determined.

It may leave itself open to some headaches there, or if there are issues delivering on promise.

Point 2 - To a point.

Many will start to worry if there is no investment and jobs are lost, but a battle against tall buildings in itself is quite popular with the NIMBY's.

The biggest issue is that many of the decisions that he will have to take to limit building height will come at the cost of the need to allow increased density in the inner to middle ring suburbs. That's where the political cost may come from.

Point 3 - It still requires significant work in terms of planning and funding. Its a great project, but many challenges are on the horizon for this govt to overcome.

By then the automotive industry will have closed and the real economic flow on effects will be in play. This will be key to how well it has actually started to deliver results, not just words and ideas.

Overall though, it may well depend greatly on how the federal election pans out next year. If there was to be a popular Malcolm Turnbull led Liberal govt running the country in 2018 there may well be some complications at the state level for Labor, just as previous elections have been affected by outside factors.

Lots of twists and turns likely in the next few years.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Point 1: Yes, there is that perception. But a recent interview with the CEO of Vicroads saw him admit that Labor formulated their list of 50 without knowledge of the list Vicroads produced, which had only been given to the Napthine government. Very convenient to retrospectively claim pork-barrelling.

Point 2: There has been some sycophantic worship of Matthew Guy on this forum, which still lingers for a few. But for others, including myself, his handling of the introduction of the residential zones by the previous government was appalling. Moreland Council spent almost a year developing its submission for the new zones. Rejected by Guy with poor reasoning. Same with Moonee Valley. Meanwhile, the submissions by Glen Eira and Boroondara were rapidly endorsed, even though they protected almost the entire council area from infill development. Not sure why NIMBYs are slated here on this forum whilst Matthew Guy actively protected their interests. Incongruous.

You're right in saying that development in the 2-15 km zone is important, but the new revisions to Plan Melbourne address that. Infill developments at places like Camberwell cannot be denied forever.

Point 3: Andrews has staked his entire first term on the metro project. If he can't get it started by 2018, he deserves to go.

2161 - 2180 of 6562 Posts