SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 6669 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
It's 2012, why are proposals still being launched without websites full of renders? One angle in a newspaper article doesn't cut it.

Also, is this the submitted design or is it conceptual? Can't work out what's going on with that podium.

·
Registered
393 Posts
spiralout said:
Haven't made up my mind about the design yet. Wtf is that shit on the otherside covering up the design of wrap??
It's another proposed building for that site. I feel for people in Wrap. They won't be wrapped.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't Get Excited Yet

Let's not get excited yet. Melbourne's got a proud history of proposing monumental buildings which literally never get off the ground or which are significantly modified or scaled down in their design before approved. After all nothing ever seems to happen in Victoria these days without some Bozo or protest committee of Bozo's taking the matter to VCAT first :down:.

I'll temper my excitement and adopt a wait and see attitude.

For the record, I like the design, it's a little quirky but it will fit nicely in with other buildings in the area :eek:kay:.

·
Registered
12,695 Posts
Let's not get excited yet. Melbourne's got a proud history of proposing monumental buildings which literally never get off the ground or which are significantly modified or scaled down in their design before approved. After all nothing ever seems to happen in Victoria these days without some Bozo or protest committee of Bozo's taking the matter to VCAT first :down:.

For the record, I like the design, it's a little quirky but it will fit nicely in with other buildings in the area :eek:kay:.
Yeah, I know but sometimes it happens the other way round.....Waterford Apartments was quite a good proposal at Southbank.....about 40 levels so disapointed when it didn't go ahead. The Eureka Tower stands on that site now : ) Driving past this corner last week looking at Wrap next door I whistfully imagined something like this tower on this spot...Then capow !!! News today.......fingers crossed !

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Look - no doubt it's an exciting news day for Melbourne - not only this, but all the other stuff going on. Seriously, the city is going absolutely gang-busters at the moment. It's awesome.
I just wish that this was proposed for another location. It's in the wrong position for Melbourne's first super tall, IMO. It'll completely unbalance the skyline, making it too 'south-heavy' with Eureka, Pearl, QBH etc.....

If it was in Docklands, or on the CUB site - then Way Hay!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Really not sure I like the bit in the middle. Just looks a bit silly.
I would prefer it to be streamline I think.
Still great for Melbs if it gets up

·
Proud Victorian!
7,511 Posts
VicSOP said:

If Matthew Guy has the final say in this one then we need not worry.

The biggest threat to this IMO is another recession in the US but hopefully these guys can manage their funding arrangements.

·
Developer
7,604 Posts
Well going by the quote from Matthew Guy in the Herald Sun article I don't think planniong approval will be a problem:

While the redesigned Australia 108 plans will be subjected to a fresh planning application process, Planning Minister Matthew Guy said the fact such a project was being proposed underlined the confidence in Melbourne.

"Australia is coming of age and our cities are growing upwards," Mr Guy said.

"Taller buildings ... are a symbol of a growing nation, a strong economy, and they do have the ability to define a city."

·
Proud Victorian!
7,511 Posts
Karl or Nonda (one of them) was interviewed on 3AW this am and said that this tower would take about 2 years to build.

They didn't give a start date though.

·
Developer
7,604 Posts
This site was on the market in July. Does anybody know who it sold to?

My guess would be a Chinese investor due to the lack of balconies and the number 8 in the number of floors and height of the building.

I think they have publicly released plans for the tower early to grab some of the exposure that Tower Melbourne was getting in the press.

21 - 40 of 6669 Posts