SkyscraperCity banner

6661 - 6680 of 6752 Posts

·
Aesthetics
1,595 Posts
Great design in my books... I love its irregularities even more whether intended, or cost cutting or whatever...the only thing that bothers me is the carpark not having those grills put all over, since you can see the exposed cement of the carpark during the night when the lights are on, which is odd to me!

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I have zero confidence they will bother fixing the broken lights and can imagine missing pieces still in 12 months time. Not to mention in a decade when lights pass their use by date. It will join Eureka's faded gold glass as a permanent neglected feature. The podium has quite a few sections of bar concrete pillars they didn't bother cladding in aluminum like they did in other parts. There's a lack of consistency which is quite typical in Melbourne builds where 99% finished is good enough.

it completed less than 6 months ago, still well within the defects period.

Use by date... you know there is a whole section of construction dedicated to ongoing building maintenance called Facilities Management... expired lights can be replaced and upgraded if needed... also Eurekas gold glass has been fixed (though i will give you the fact it took years)

·
Registered
609 Posts
it completed less than 6 months ago, still well within the defects period.

Use by date... you know there is a whole section of construction dedicated to ongoing building maintenance called Facilities Management... expired lights can be replaced and upgraded if needed... also Eurekas gold glass has been fixed (though i will give you the fact it took years)
Eureka's gold glass only got fixed on the east side. The west side still has many faded panels.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
maybe 8 more years are needed then?

On this "Melb buildings are neglected once complete" yes, some Like Eureka are, and that sucks, but its not uniquely Melbourne, or Skyscrapers for hat matter.

The ESB spire spent decades neglected and decaying and was only just restored last year as part of its major modernisation program, and Big Ben/Elizabeth Tower is only just going through its 2nd major restoration in 150 years to fix stonework, clean the facade and restore the clock and ironwork to its original colours.

These are private commercial and government assets, both are far and away more recognisable and culturally important to their cities than Eureka, a private residential tower, is to Melbourne and they too had aesthetic maintenance issues kicked down the road for decades until they were addresses in a years long building wide overhaul.

It sucks, but end of the day, no matter the type of building, who its owned by 99% of the time, non essential maintenance isn't a priority for facilities managers. Their budgets are incredibly tight, there is never enough to cover everything and they often have to justify any expenses/disruptions for occupants etc.

In an ideal world everything would be 10/10, but in reality a building still serves it purpose if a few windows have faded or an external light has blow.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts

On this "Melb buildings are neglected once complete" yes, some Like Eureka are, and that sucks, but its not uniquely Melbourne, or Skyscrapers for hat matter.

The ESB spire spent decades neglected and decaying and was only just restored last year as part of its major modernisation program, and Big Ben/Elizabeth Tower is only just going through its 2nd major restoration in 150 years to fix stonework, clean the facade and restore the clock and ironwork to its original colours.

These are private commercial and government assets, both are far and away more recognisable and culturally important to their cities than Eureka, a private residential tower, is to Melbourne and they too had aesthetic maintenance issues kicked down the road for decades until they were addresses in a years long building wide overhaul.

It sucks, but end of the day, no matter the type of building, who its owned by 99% of the time, non essential maintenance isn't a priority for facilities managers. Their budgets are incredibly tight, there is never enough to cover everything and they often have to justify any expenses/disruptions for occupants etc.

In an ideal world everything would be 10/10, but in reality a building still serves it purpose if a few windows have faded or an external light has blow.
If you look at most cities across the world pre 1970's the non maintenance was clear. Glass may have had a clean now and then but the rest of any building just aged...and aged...and aged.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If we're being "real" about buildings in Aus, I do think some of the towers in Melbourne look a bit uninspired compared to some of the amazing work going up in, eg, NYC. But I have to say that those eyesores in Barangaroo are just hideous. I would be so mad if I were a Sydney-sider with those ugly silos ruining that area. They're the modern day Gas & Fuel buildings. Crown is, um, I dunno, it's cute, but it just looks a bit embarrassing - like what is that cringey thing doing there? It's not great, definitely not. I'm a bit concerned about Green Spine too, the design looks a bit dated to me, if they chop the height it will be disappointing.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Except the elements that require maintenance are the gimmicks used to add some kind of design flourish to an otherwise inane glass tower. The lighting or the colourful panels or the hanging garden. All flotsam designed to attract a specific type of buyer but elements that really aren't going to be preserved for 20, 50 or a hundred years. They struggle after 3 or 4. It's just tatt. And Melbourne towers seem to stand out for those very features.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If we're being "real" about buildings in Aus, I do think some of the towers in Melbourne look a bit uninspired compared to some of the amazing work going up in, eg, NYC. But I have to say that those eyesores in Barangaroo are just hideous. I would be so mad if I were a Sydney-sider with those ugly silos ruining that area. They're the modern day Gas & Fuel buildings. Crown is, um, I dunno, it's cute, but it just looks a bit embarrassing - like what is that cringey thing doing there? It's not great, definitely not. I'm a bit concerned about Green Spine too, the design looks a bit dated to me, if they chop the height it will be disappointing.
New york gets far too much credit. there are a few great buildings there, and some classics, but the majority of it is just crap. World Trade centre is only eye catching due to its size, but why’s it measured from the tip of the spire when Willis Tower isn’t? Don’t even get me started on the pencil dick scrapers that are going up currently. what the actual f*ck do you call 432 park avenue?! 111 west 57th street isn’t much better. if every second american film shot in the last 40 years wasn’t in new york, would it really have all the hype it does these days? doubt.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So the LED's haven't been lit up at night for weeks except a tiny 10 metre portion on level 80ish south side. Is the entire system defective or have neighbouring buildings such as Eureka / Freshwater Place complained about light pollution and made them turn it off? It's really strange what's going on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So the LED's haven't been lit up at night for weeks except a tiny 10 metre portion on level 80ish south side. Is the entire system defective or have neighbouring buildings such as Eureka / Freshwater Place complained about light pollution and made them turn it off? It's really strange what's going on.
The LEDs are on every night, I'm looking at them on right now, usually they turn them off at 10pm.

Since the building opened they have experimented with a flashing sequence which was absolutely obnoxious thank f thats gone, and they've also dimmed the LEDs about 50% from the original brightness level which looks much better IMO.

All I would change now is turning on fewer of the bands. I think there's too many bands towards the top, if they spaced out the bands equally or did every seond one above the starburst I think it would look better.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So they turn the lights off at 10pm. I drive past at 11pm no wonder I never see them. It only gets dark at 9pm. 1 hour for the lights in summer? That's so pointless.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
The Paris Agreement might ban building lighting as unessential ?

6661 - 6680 of 6752 Posts