SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PPP between the Qld government and Axiom Education Queensland Pty Ltd (a consortiaum of ABN Amro, the John Holland Group and Spotless Facilitiess Managment) has been given final approval with construction/refurbishment of buildings to anticipated to begin arround the 30th of July. Cost of construction should be about $230 million, taking almost 3 years to complete, with responsibilty for managing the buildings returning the state goverment 30 years after that. At the moment specific information and renders are rather sparse.....

The site is between the railway, convention centre, tribune and merivale street.

Buildings J, K, N, P, Q and R will be demolished to make way for the 11 new buildings. Excepting IC which is 7 levels, the building are between 3 and 6 levels. Buildings A, E, M and F will be refurbished (read: have major modifications).

The current retail aspect of the TAFE (butcher, baker, florist), will be moved to create "a campus heart" along Edmonton Street with 1,200sq m of retail and ancillary office space for a food court, café, internet cafe and book store.

link to Queensland Government Ministerial Media Statements
link to Southbank Institute

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
...... How so?
The point of it isnt to impress skyscraper lovers like us lol.

Brisbane PPP deal for TAFE
Sean Parnell
April 20, 2005

QUEENSLAND has finally secured its first "Public Private Partnership", with the Beattie Government announcing plans for a $550 million TAFE, accommodation and retail precinct at South Brisbane.

The Axiom Education Queensland Consortium - comprising ABN AMRO, John Holland Construction and Spotless Facilities Management - will design, construct, finance and maintain the Southbank EPIcentre development for 34 years.

The 4ha site behind Southbank - which will consolidate three existing TAFE campuses spread across Brisbane - will then be transferred back to the government.

Premier Peter Beattie yesterday acknowledged the delays in negotiating a successful PPP but declared the bottleneck had been cleared.

He said that while Axiom had secured a good deal, the Government had shown it would not give "charity" to the private sector.

"In the early stages, there were a lot of perceptions in the private sector about how they would operate," he said.

"Now I think there is a clear understanding in the private sector that it has to be a win for the private sector but also a win for the government."

Axiom will take over the site in July, with construction of 11 new buildings and the renovation of four existing buildings expected to take 38 months.

State Development Minister Tony McGrady said Axiom had an incentive to deliver the project on time and on budget given that the fixed-price contract with full payments would not start until all buildings were operational.

The Government will now have an opportunity to sell or redevelop existing Southbank TAFE sites, particularly the dilapidated towers located strategically above the Kangaroo Point cliffs.

Mr Beattie foreshadowed an "icon building" but government sources suggested the land was more likely to be sold to private developers, subject to strict Brisbane City Council conditions.

The Government is examining whether PPPs could be used for Brisbane traffic tunnels, cruise terminals and recycled water projects.

Mr Beattie said more possible PPPs would be revealed in the South East Queensland Infrastructure Plan to be released on April 27.

·
Yeah but No!!
1,503 Posts
I was just thinking about the TAFE on top of Kangaroo Point Cliffs yesterday and wondering when the govt was going to get rid of it and use the space for something more suitable for a site that clearly has some of the best views of the CBD.

·
7,972 Posts
Malt, for TAFE, I'm sure it's fantastic. But considering it is situated in such a prime location, you think they could have made a little better use of the land.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
I kind of agree with BrizzyChris. It is prime location.

But I do like the idea of a community centre type project. The buildings aren't that bad either (for a government effort)

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Whats the problem?
I dont get it.

Its there to do what its meant to do. It has open space, trees etc, a nice design.

what the hell else do you want?

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Malt said:
Whats the problem?
I dont get it.

Its there to do what its meant to do. It has open space, trees etc, a nice design.

what the hell else do you want?
I just think because of it's proximity to Southbank and the whole grey street etc. revival business, It could do well as a retail and commercial precinct, similar to the rest of the area.

·
Yeah but No!!
1,503 Posts
I thought part of the idea was that they were adding more retail to the ground floors and the fact that they are increasing accomodation is a good thing. The other thing to remember is that it is in a State Govt Education precinct with Griffith University just around the corner and Brisbane SHS only a block away.

·
7,972 Posts
Malt said:
Wasnt it already TAFE/education though?

Its not like the site was up for grabs...
Yes, that is true, but why not give up a portion of the land for higher density commercial or residential buildings? I'm sure the government would have no problem earning a couple of extra million for the land.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The overall height of the buildings may not be fantastic, but it will definatly be better than it is now....quite a bit of the campus is made up of sheds and crappy 1 storey buildings.

·
i've changed my mind
3,853 Posts
over 2 years since last post?!?! lol, ohwell, heres a belated update... (the first pic is obviously very old lol

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Cool, good to see a birds eye view of the whole project.

·
Registered
92 Posts
funny how in the second last picture , that the only thing that stands out are the coloured boxes of brisbane square. while the rest of the city is dull coloured haha

·
i've changed my mind
3,853 Posts
does anyone know what they're planning to do with the kangaroo point campus once they move into the new buildings at south bank? its prime land right on the edge of the cliffs, with uninterupted views of the city.

·
Registered
435 Posts
does anyone know what they're planning to do with the kangaroo point campus once they move into the new buildings at south bank? its prime land right on the edge of the cliffs, with uninterupted views of the city.

I heard the state govt was going to build a pyramid shaped building as an 'iconic' building to celebrate Qld's 150th birthday to be completed in 2009, but I have not heard much about it lately..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts