Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This first picture is back from Arpil. The two after that are from a few days ago. Enjoy!

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I should also provide some information regarding this project:

The three level expansion will add new lifestyle, entertainment and dining components to the south side of the existing center between Sears and JCPenney.

75 additional stores, including several new-to-market concepts
6 new signature restaurants with indoor/outdoor seating, creating a restaurant promenade on the first level
Café-style dining terrace featuring plush fireside seating within an elegant three story atrium providing expansive views of Mt. Rainier through an awe inspiring 90 foot glass facade
A 16-screen state-of-the-art AMC Theaters, complete with stadium seating, wall to wall screens and digital surround sound
Two new attached covered parking structures and additional rooftop parking next to AMC Theaters.

In addition to new lifestyle, entertainment and dining options, Westfield Southcenter will expand its’ signature Westfield amenities to include:

Westfield Playtown featuring whimsical play elements on a comfortable soft surface
State-of-the-art Westfield Family Lounge complete with sofas and chairs, television with children’s programming, private nursing areas and changing stations with bottle warmers and diaper wipes
Valet parking service presenting shoppers with an added convenience to make your shopping trip even easier
New Concierge Center offering top rated customer services
Updated restrooms infused with modern materials and design

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Wow, the renderings look awesome! It's gonna be a nice addition to the existing southcenter mall. I would love to have a nice view of Mt. Rainier while eating at a restaurant. ;)

·
Registered
15,521 Posts
While Southcenter has been talking a lot about their addition, they have been very silent about the vacant Mervyn's store. That will be an interesting space to fill. I don't see an upscale store there, as Southcenter is very much targeted (appropriately so) towards middle class. And no, Kohl's isn't going to take the space, they are building down the road at Southcenter Square. The diagrams of the development used to be on the southcenter website, if anybody is interested in them.

·
EffSizzle
160 Posts
Nice to see

For as long as I can remember Southcenter (we called it South Central) was considered the "ghetto mall". It's nice to see that money is being put back into that place. The interior remodel including the new floor and the addition of the palm trees really showed me that Southcenter was changing. Now this addition...WOW!!! South Central no longer. I still refuse to call is Westfield though.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
the thing that bothers me though is that the rest of the mall will still be old...they arent redoping the other side of the mall at all. this is basically just an addition...am i correct? Anyways, the part they are adding on is huge....i just went by it the other day. It looks like it will be ultra nice too. :)

·
Pokémon Master
82 Posts
Some more pictures to look at:

North side of the mall that will remain largely unchanged.

A picture of how the new parking garages go with the existing style of the mall

A compilation image of the Construction site. We can expect much more steel in the next few weeks. You can see the foundations of the expansion in the picture.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The real future of malls

I certainly give credit to Alderwood, Northgate, and Southcenter (sorry, Westfield!), for trying to renovate and improve, but I agree, they basically are just cosmetic makeovers of the original malls. I'm sure this will advance revenue to some extent, but at some point the consumer is going to expect something even more in the next couple decades. Like more outside retail entrances, closer parking, and better brand identification will be the keys. Just not enough to be another name in a mall. I believe future retail centers will be more like "theme parks" with complete seperation of brands, divided by eateries, playgrounds, parks, fountains, maybe even more "fun" areas such as amusements, etc. and even open green areas. (Of course, this is already the case at the super malls like in Bloomington,MN, and Edmonton, Alberta, but I believe we will see more of this style in smaller malls as well. Keep up, or become irrelevant.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
whats so 90's about it?
Didn't you remember what new malls built in the 90s look like? Most of shopping malls built in the 90s look much same as these renderings. I shopped at few shopping malls across the nation, I seen very very trendy malls and I hope one day Seattle will have these type of malls.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I certainly give credit to Alderwood, Northgate, and Southcenter (sorry, Westfield!), for trying to renovate and improve, but I agree, they basically are just cosmetic makeovers of the original malls. I'm sure this will advance revenue to some extent, but at some point the consumer is going to expect something even more in the next couple decades. Like more outside retail entrances, closer parking, and better brand identification will be the keys. Just not enough to be another name in a mall. I believe future retail centers will be more like "theme parks" with complete seperation of brands, divided by eateries, playgrounds, parks, fountains, maybe even more "fun" areas such as amusements, etc. and even open green areas. (Of course, this is already the case at the super malls like in Bloomington,MN, and Edmonton, Alberta, but I believe we will see more of this style in smaller malls as well. Keep up, or become irrelevant.
I agree. We need these kind of malls like that. I am surprised no mall around here got ice skating rink or small amusement park. I think its would be awesome if we got Dubai style shopping mall that includes indoor ski resort.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Didn't you remember what new malls built in the 90s look like? Most of shopping malls built in the 90s look much same as these renderings. I shopped at few shopping malls across the nation, I seen very very trendy malls and I hope one day Seattle will have these type of malls.

not to bother you....but im wondering what a modern mall looks like...(well more modern)....u have pics? thanks :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Seattle imo is not a trendy fashion conscience place. Bellevue Square is about the trendiest MALL out here and that's not saying much compared to what I've seen across america.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Since the weather is nowhere near as shitty in Seattle as it is in Bloomington or Edmonton, there probably isn't so much incentive to shove everything indoors under one roof like that.

Enjoy the outdoors.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Since the weather is nowhere near as shitty in Seattle as it is in Bloomington or Edmonton, there probably isn't so much incentive to shove everything indoors under one roof like that.

Enjoy the outdoors.
Exactly. One of my points above was "outside" entrances. And this is exactly the trend for new malls (sorry, they are now known as "lifestyle centers"), outside entrances where shoppers can drive from store to store within the center, instead of walking and carrying all their stuff with them. A good example of such is Algonquin Commons in suburban Chicago. Are we allowed to link here? If so, here it is: http://www.shopatalgonquincommons.com/ I think you will be seeing many more of these types of developments in the coming years. (In fact, Alderwood already has a mini-version of this, and Northgate, God Bless them, is trying!)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts