Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an advert in today's Mercury for Southdale Shopping Centre. A bit of googling sees that this is associated with Mona
http://southdalecentre.com/

They would appear to have a number of high end retailers signed up, most of whom you would have expected to be in the Myer development.....

Any more info on this?

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
On Y Va

I would be pleasently suprised to learn that Southdale, apart from sponsoring one of the MONA MOFO events, has any real interest in establishing a shopping centre in Hobart.

I think for the time being that it is just one of the Corporate Sponsors that the MOFO organisers have managed to sign up - along with Audi and the RACT.

It is possible that the owners of Southdale might be looking at acquiring an exsiting centre or buying some of Rockerfella's old shopping centre assets, which he sold off recently, but I think there is only a slight chance of a brand new high end facility costing 10's of millions of dollars unless, of course, something pops up at the old proposed DFO site at Hobart Airport...?

But then again, who knows - the success of Cat and Fiddle, the new Myer and the ongoing interest of David Jones might just be the catalyst for a new player in the hobart region so it will be very interesting to see what if anything turns up!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Sent an e-mail to the company and got this auto reply.

Thank you for contacting Southdale Shopping Centre.
This is confirmation that your e-mail has been delivered and your interest has been registered.
We are very excited to assist you in the future. Meanwhile, please visit us at www.southdalecentre.com and stay tuned for a new shopping experience.

I doubt I will hear anymore so we might all be in the dark over this one for a while.

I was wondering though whether it might be the old Harris Scarf building....with David Jones as the anchor tenant sometime in the future once the new retailers are locked in?

Mmm...this all very weird and sorry but I just cant see M&S ( British high street general retailer Marks and Spencer) opening a store in Hobart in any scenario!!!

Also, what do they mean 'coming soon'....what does that mean? It takes years to build a shopping centre....

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
You might be right Genxhobartian.

But the Myer Store on Liverpool Street is the first stage and that wont be ready until Dec 2015 and then the Icon Component, which is the second stage and will have the retail arcade with the flash new shops around the corner in Murray Street is not expected until the end of 2016 so it is a bit of a stretch to say 'coming soon' when it is at least 2.5years away!!!

It is all very strange!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is all very strange!
Yes it is certainly is very strange, but you wouldn't think that those particular brand names would allow their logos to be used without something concrete in the wings - refer to the Mercury for the advert.

Don't think it is the Myer site as this has been branded as the "Icon Complex" since inception.

Could it be a development of the old Mercury newspaper site? This may make more sense when you look at who the owner is of that site.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's just an exhibit for tonights Mona Til Midnight. Notice the sandstone wall on the right. I think they've set it up for tonight. It's gross looking and perfect for Mona to have a laff at.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
It's just an exhibit for tonights Mona Til Midnight. Notice the sandstone wall on the right. I think they've set it up for tonight. It's gross looking and perfect for Mona to have a laff at.
Well, if that is true then MONA might get a nasty letter from some of the high end retailers for using their names without permission!:bash:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another option could be , considering Mona have practically taken it over for Dark Mofo, the Odeon site. The whole block was to be developed ?.. And there is room here for car parking and entertainment space.. (could it be the retail area on the Vodaphone car park currently under construction or the Woolworths to be built at Lauderdale (surely not) mind you Lauderdale - Southdale)...

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Another option could be , considering Mona have practically taken it over for Dark Mofo, the Odeon site. The whole block was to be developed ?.. And there is room here for car parking and entertainment space.. (could it be the retail area on the Vodaphone car park currently under construction or the Woolworths to be built at Lauderdale (surely not) mind you Lauderdale - Southdale)...
The Odeon Site is still owned by RiverLea Properties and as far as I know the plan is to still develop that site sometime in the next 3-5 years by them.

Mona is not a retail developer and it wont be the retail area in the Vodaphone Building as that is not high end enough for those retailers.

I cant see Hugo Boss and Calvin Kline opening up a luxury shop in Lauderdale...unless it was Fort Lauderdale in Florida!

I am starting to think it is just a gimmick...:eek:hno:

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
From the Mercury today...

HOBART is buzzing with questions over MONA claims that a “world-class” mall is set to open in the city.

An advertisement placed by MONA in the Mercury today says the Southdale Shopping Centre will be Tasmania’s first centre of fashion and luxury goods.

The ad, on page 7, features Victoria’s Secret, Calvin Klein, Chanel, Estee Lauder and Hugo Boss brands and what appears to be the Jerusalem’s Wailing Wall.

MONA senior curator Delia Nichols claims the Southdale Shopping Centre is a new promotion for the group.

“There will be other events and music at the free Dark Mofo free event tonight, MONA till Midnight,’’ Ms Nicholls said.

The advertisement directs readers to a website which simply says that the shopping centre is scheduled for completion in early 2015 and will include 30 new speciality retailers and an additional 100 new car parking spaces.

However, the web address for the shopping centre is the same as that listed for a MONA art installation in the Southwest National Park that the Sunday Tasmanian revealed in a report this week.

That installation features a holiday camp for displaced European Jews and is also advertised as a Southdale development.

It is believed that all will be revealed tonight at MONA till Midnight.
Obviously, its a MONA stunt...probably going to open a second hand clothes store at the site on the South West selling just top end recycled clothes but of course you cant actually get your car there to park in the 100 space car park....very funny!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
For what it's worth, the website appears to be done on the cheap and fast. The domain name is owned by the webhost which is something anyone serious about their IP and who has a serious IT team would never do.

It is a joke and I think a play on how the community is so hung up on the Myer progressing.
An exciting new shopping experience is coming soon.
Is this not the exact same phrase the Myer center is/was using for years on the sign outside the hole?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts