Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fly Nashville!
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on a shooting spree of the airport here. If for no other reason than to pass the time away at the overlook. Anyways, here are some pics of the former hub for American Airlines and the blossoming "mini-hub" for Southwest Airlines. Surprisingly, this airport; despite being a non-hub airport, host over 8.6 million passengers annually. Currently they have four runways, three parrallel and one crosswind international, with a fifth in the planning stages. Cargo and passenger traffic has increased dramatically over the past few years here as passengers try to avoide the bigger, busier airports both north and south of here.

Site will be updated as I take more pictures.
www.pbase.com/lexyky/nashville_international_airport

Pano of the airport>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sunrise...

That's mine. Post yours.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Heh, I just flew into BNA just ... eh, 45 minutes ago.

Great pics.

The airport desperately needs upgrading though. I'm shocked by the absence of moving walkways and the rental car pickup is simply horrible - it's so far removed from everything and is out in the elements - not fun in this weather we're having. BNA needs to leave the 80s and now!

·
Fly Nashville!
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. These are some of the better ones. But of course, I have more in the galleries at my site. Plan on more pics this coming weekend though as I venture out in the wee hours of the morning to capture some pics.

I agree DT. I know a major renovation is coming up in the next few years. Right around the re-route of Donelson Pike and the construction of the fifth runway, supposedly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Really nice shots -- then again, aviation (along with urban development) has been one of my lifelong interests, so I find these especially interesting.

Incidentally, I'm departing from BNA this weekend. While it still may scream 1980s, it seems to get the job done; I've never endured a long delay there, neither at the gate, nor at security, unlike at some other airports. That said, I've heard about the upcoming terminal renovation, and look forward to what will come of it. (I hadn't heard anything about the proposed 5th runway before, but if traffic has recovered enough from the AA days to warrant it, so much the better! If only there was still trans-Atlantic service...)

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Nice picture of Nashville's Airport. I would like to see pics of New O's, Biloxi-Gulfport, and Savannah International Airports. I couldn't find any pics of our airport (Middle Georgia Regional Airport).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here is a link to the new terminal that they are building at RDU. It has a little video to go with it. Unfortunately the Red Tin terminal will still exist until this new terminal is finished. Maybe RaleighNC can get some pictures of the terminal with out breaking his camera because of the ugliness of Terminal A ( Red Tin Terminal)

http://www.rdu.com/airportdev/termc-proj.htm

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
good thread idea...I may use it over in Midwest.

I have flown into BNA and the similarity of that airport and Indy's is uncanny. Both (as mentioned) stuck in 1982! Indy is currently constructing an entire new airport. Nashville should do the same.

·
Registered
440 Posts
cwilson758 said:
good thread idea...I may use it over in Midwest.

I have flown into BNA and the similarity of that airport and Indy's is uncanny. Both (as mentioned) stuck in 1982! Indy is currently constructing an entire new airport. Nashville should do the same.
I agree. BNA definitely needs to be seriously renovated if an altogether new airport isn't built. I hate flying into it every time I visit Nashville. It's not an exciting arrival. Of course, I'm spoiled with the Northwest terminal here in the Detroit metro. Now, that's a beautiful terminal.

·
Fly Nashville!
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ariesjow said:
I agree. BNA definitely needs to be seriously renovated if an altogether new airport isn't built. I hate flying into it every time I visit Nashville. It's not an exciting arrival. Of course, I'm spoiled with the Northwest terminal here in the Detroit metro. Now, that's a beautiful terminal.

There is a major renovation in the works for it soon, as well as a fifth runway to go along with it. The airport suffered from the AA hub closure in the late 90's and has just now picked business back up to the levels close to it's past numbers. Time is of the essence here, but count on the fact that it will be changing soon. I promise all of you that. The airport is in the process of drawing up master plans for an extensive renovation of all facilties.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I can't wait for renovations.

BNA still is showing some effects of AA's departure - a lot of gates in the C concourse are still empty after all these years :(

Southwest saved BNA.

·
Fly Nashville!
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DallasTexan said:
I can't wait for renovations.

BNA still is showing some effects of AA's departure - a lot of gates in the C concourse are still empty after all these years :(

Southwest saved BNA.

I agree. I know that Jet Blue has been in talks with the airport about service out of there recently. So it's my hope that they will take some of that dead weight and empty space out in Concourse C if in fact they start service from here.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
I don't have my own pics of Tampa International Airport(TIA0 so I got these pics from the net.

Aerial view of TIA. Building on bottom right is the International Mall. Plans are for another terminal just north of the terminal.

Layout of TIA

Control Tower and Marriot Hotel with nice restaurant on top.

Interior view of TIA

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
When built, TIA had the tallest Control Tower in the US. Also, not TIA related, but Tampa/ St Petersburg was the first cities to have a airline fly, in Jan 1 1914. Crazy looking plane though.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ralphcooper/pimaga5.htm

TIA is a great airport. Nice layout, except it screws up part of Tampa skyline,but not by much. One thing it lacks, well all of Tampa, is mass transit. It has no transportation from the airport to DT Tampa and else where.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
very nice photos...thanks for sharing them. i love seeing pictures of different airports and different airplanes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts