SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've finally gotten around to watching "The Walking Dead" on AMC, which is filmed in Atlanta and has some great aerial shots around downtown, nicely showing off the density (and good old urban grit) that too often gets overlooked. some nice rooftop views too.

and Atlanta will be on "Ghost Hunters" this week.

Birmingham was on "Ghost Hunters" last week when they investigated Sloss Furnaces; there was a nice skyline shot at the end.

-

·
Like an aged wine
507 Posts
Miami had all those 80s shows, too. Atlanta's just now seeing a huge surge in productions with a ton of recent movies and some new shows. It's because there is a relatively new and sufficient tax credit for movie productions in Atlanta.

Atlanta has all those God-awful Tyler Perry shows (shows that could be good, but the humor is completely off imho). And we can't fail to mention the horrendous Real Housewives of Atlanta, a show that tries to caricature the cities it takes place in (a black Atlanta, a blonde Beverly Hills, a trashy Italian Jersey, etc).

Atlanta's kicking butt in the movie front nowadays, but it needs to do something better about its TV shows, and The Walking Dead is a good start. I have been watching it, and being filmed in Atlanta is not what makes it good (though it's fun for us Atlantans), but AMC is truly good at script/production/plot development, etc. There are only 2 episodes left, so it has been a short season and I'm worried they are going to pull the show. I don't know what ratings it has been getting, but it is a very graphic show and that could be part of the problem.

·
Registered
385 Posts
There are only 2 episodes left, so it has been a short season and I'm worried they are going to pull the show. I don't know what ratings it has been getting, but it is a very graphic show and that could be part of the problem.
They won't pull it. It had better opening ratings than any other of the year, and best in AMC's history, better than both Mad Men and Breaking Bad. The show is averaging ~ 5 million viewers a week.

AMC would be idiotic NOT to renew the show, and AMC isn't idiotic.

·
Like an aged wine
507 Posts
Way off topic, but since it is one of my favorite 80s movies...I love how a skyscraper/architecture geek like me was always able to tell (even when I was like 8) that Robocop was set in Detroit but so obviously filmed in Dallas :)

And regarding CSI Miami, I have a fraternity brother who lived in Miami for a time, and used to watch the show at a friend's with me. I got in a debate with him by saying that the show was mostly filmed in various LA locations like Long Beach (I only knew that because I could tell by the "to me" obvious Long Beach skyline in background shots and the CA foliage). He thought the whole show was filmed in Miami, which would be awesome if it was remotely true, but really only opening credits and a few other panos and shots are filmed in Miami. All "action" and indoor shots are filmed in LA.

You know I hate to say this and I am completely joking, but if Real Housewives is going to mischaracterize every city it claims to represent and make a mockery of wealthy housewives, it should do a Real Housewives of Miami with formerly Chonga women turned rich housewife. That would be quite a stereotype, but that seems to be the thing the show is good at. There should be one of Dallas with either a bunch of superficial women in tacky/poofy dresses or young women married to older rich cowboy/oil executive types.

Edit: And good to know The Walking Dead is not going anywhere...I wonder why the season is so short, though.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
And regarding CSI Miami, I have a fraternity brother who lived in Miami for a time, and used to watch the show at a friend's with me. I got in a debate with him by saying that the show was mostly filmed in various LA locations like Long Beach (I only knew that because I could tell by the "to me" obvious Long Beach skyline in background shots and the CA foliage). He thought the whole show was filmed in Miami, which would be awesome if it was remotely true, but really only opening credits and a few other panos and shots are filmed in Miami. All "action" and indoor shots are filmed in LA.
Yeah, Dexter does a much better job of disguising SoCal as Miami than CSI:Miami does. They don't fool much people in Miami. But they actually do regularly come and shoot some episodes. The local CBS affiliate covers it everytime.
Dexter was entirely shot in Miami for the first two season until a hurricane forced them to move production to California. They've kept the CSI:Miami model of shooting sporadically in Miami. Burn Notice is the only show entirely shot in Miami since Miami Vice. A Charlie's Angels remake for ABC is set to be set and shot in Miami next year. LINK

You know I hate to say this and I am completely joking, but if Real Housewives is going to mischaracterize every city it claims to represent and make a mockery of wealthy housewives, it should do a Real Housewives of Miami with formerly Chonga women turned rich housewife.
I actually thought Miami already had one of those sleazy housewife shows. Miami already has bag load of crappy reality shows shot in town. I won't even get into those yet. After a quick Google search, it looks like Miami will have a housewife show.LINK :eek:hno:
Cast will include basketball wives, an art scene socialite, a magazine editor, a publicist and a drag queen! :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
The DFW area is actually seeing a lot of TV time as well:

Chase (Set in Houston, but filmed in Dallas)
Long Star (Set in Houston, but filmed in Dallas) *Cancelled*
Football Wives (Set in DFW area)
16 AND Pregnant (Two of the girls are from the Dallas area)
My Life as Liz (Set outside of FW)

There's more, but I just can't think of any more off the top of my head.

·
Registered Menace
2,851 Posts
Chase is set in Houston but filmed in Dallas.

poorly set in Houston I might add. i actually watched this the other day ago. and all the ariels are houston shots but then they had a car chase and you see the skyline which is obviously dallas. so my questions is why did they just not set it in Dallas? its not like it would have effected the plot, which is bad anyway. but that show is destine to fail. come on they have cole hauser as one of the leads behind the yard boy from desperate housewives who also cannot act well. total crap show.

·
Registered Menace
2,851 Posts
Way off topic, but since it is one of my favorite 80s movies...I love how a skyscraper/architecture geek like me was always able to tell (even when I was like 8) that Robocop was set in Detroit but so obviously filmed in Dallas :)

You know I hate to say this and I am completely joking, but if Real Housewives is going to mischaracterize every city it claims to represent and make a mockery of wealthy housewives, it should do a Real Housewives of Miami with formerly Chonga women turned rich housewife. That would be quite a stereotype, but that seems to be the thing the show is good at. There should be one of Dallas with either a bunch of superficial women in tacky/poofy dresses or young women married to older rich cowboy/oil executive types.

Edit: And good to know The Walking Dead is not going anywhere...I wonder why the season is so short, though.

robocop 2 = filmed in Houston. i had a friend that had a speaking part in it.

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
There are only 2 episodes left, so it has been a short season and I'm worried they are going to pull the show. I don't know what ratings it has been getting, but it is a very graphic show and that could be part of the problem.
The show has already been renewed.

I've read that Lifetime series "Drop Dead Diva" and CW series "The Vampire Diaries" are also filmed in Atlanta but I've never seen any of them.

My favorite might be "Curb Appeal: The Block" on HGTV because it usually highlights some great intown neighborhoods.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Richmond gets a fair number of TV and film projects. A horror called NUTCRACKER in 3D filmed here for a few days recently. Prior to that a Lifetime TV movie called UNANSWERED PRAYERS (based on the Garth Brooks song) shot for about a month in the area.

A large part of the award winning HBO mini-series about John Adams was filmed in and around Richmond.

Last week Steven Spielberg was in town checking out locations for his upcoming major film about Abraham Lincoln. It will star Daniel Day Lewis.

The Martin Agency, one of the top ad agencies in the country, is headquartered in Richmond's Shockoe Slip. Its accounts include GEICO, Walmart, Pizza Hut and Cool Whip. Some of the commercials for its clients are shot here.

I might add that New Orleans is becoming a major center for movie-making if it hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts