Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
No offense to Raleigh, the state of North Carolina, or its fine people, but the NC capitol isn't exactly the most aesthetically pleasing capitol out there.

West Virginia's capitol is quite nice:

But of course my favorite would be my own state's capitol:

The African-American monument on the Statehouse grounds, the first such structure to be built on the grounds of a state capitol, was dedicated in March 2001; it was designed to recapture the rich history of African Americans and their contributions to the state of South Carolina. The monument's panels pick up the story from their arrival in the port city of Charleston to the 21st century. The unique design includes four rubbing stones from regions of Africa where slaves were captured at the base of the obelisk.

The story of the monument, as well as various panels of the monument, can be read and seen here.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
krazeeboi said:
No offense to Raleigh, the state of North Carolina, or its fine people, but the NC capitol isn't exactly the most aesthetically pleasing capitol out there.
I agree, but why make a comment like that in the first place?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Virginia's is currently undergoing a major renovation... but here are some pics, pre-renovation (from various sources):

big pic

And as it's known, Jefferson's Temple on the Hill:

It's modeled after the Maison Carrée in France. It was completed in 1788.

And a few pics I took in January from the City Hall observation deck... as you can see the Capitol is under serious renovation:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The West Virginia capitol is very attractive.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
triadcat said:
I agree, but why make a comment like that in the first place?
Just making an observation, not trying to ruffle any feathers.

But I do believe there is a story behind it not being quite as "grand" as most other state capitols; did it have to do with a lack of certain building materials?

·
Registered
754 Posts
The Mississippi state capital building is nice, but I don't have a picture of it in Jackson.

·
Capital City
202 Posts
Well, as you know North Carolina was a poor state in the mid 1850's when this building was constructed (it was also the second state capitol in Raleigh - the first burned). It could also have to do with our state motto - "Esse quam videri" - To Be Rather Than to Seem.

This was taken from this site.
Esse Quam Videri--Bound by vain Virginians on our northern flank and smug South Carolinians on our southern one, we in North Carolina have never been accused of harboring the pretentious or pompous attitudes of our neighbors. Way back, in fact, one of our state's good people remarked that North Carolina was "a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit."

Our state motto says it best: To Be, Rather Than To Seem. We don't put on airs in North Carolina, never have. What you see is what you get. And what you get in North Carolina is a lot, not only from our people but also from all our state has to offer. Come with us as we explore the virtues of our great state.
I think that goes nicely with our understated, yet elegant, state capitol building.

And here is just a little history on the building, taken from the official site for the state capitol.

The North Carolina State Capitol, completed in 1840, is one of the finest and best preserved examples of a major civic building in the Greek Revival architecture style.

The Capitol is the second building on this site. In 1792, Raleigh was established as North Carolina's permanent seat of government. A simple, two-story brick State House was built on Union Square between 1792 and 1796.

In plan, the Capitol is a cross shape, centering on a domed rotunda where the wings join. It is 160 feet from north to south, 140 feet from east to west (including the porticoes), and stands 97-1/2 feet from the rotunda florr to the crown atop the dome. The exterior walls are built of gneiss, a form of granite. The stone was quarried in southeastern Raleigh and hauled to the site on the horse-drawn Experimental Railroad, North Carolina's first railway. The interior walls are of stone and brick. The massive, original wooden truss system still bears the weight of the roof.

Completed in 1840 at a total cost of $532,682.34, the Capitol cost more than three times the yearly general income of the state at that time.

·
Capital City
202 Posts
That being said, the Kentucky and West Virginia statehouses are beautiful, as are Texas' and South Carolina's.

One other question - how many other states, besides NC, have seperate legislative buildings, or do most have their house and senate in the state capitol still?

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I have to say that North Carolina's State Capitol Bldg isn't exactly the nicest I've seen :( However, let me share a couple of photos I have taken of it recently:

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
Louisana has my favorite capitol. Art Deco! :D

The Senate and House were in the NC Capitol Building years ago. When the old wooden capitol burned in 1831, North Carolina's state capitol almost moved to Fayetteville. The city of Raleigh was built in reaction to negative comments made by vistors about the state. NC wanted to be like its neighbors to the north and south and tried very hard to impress, but the state's economy at that time wasn't that great. Things have really changed in the past 100 years though. :D

The Capitol Building had five architects and was said to be one of the greatest stone structures built during that time period and one of the most original Neoclassical designs, thanks to architects from New York, Fayetteville and England working on the structure during those seven years. Each of them tried something new. Something different from what other architects of the day were doing. The original architect's drawings for NC's capitol are on display in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. I have a copy of the drawings and elevations and a few photos showing the interior today. It's not my favorite capitol, but it is a nice building.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Esse Quam Videri--Bound by vain Virginians on our northern flank and smug South Carolinians on our southern one, we in North Carolina have never been accused of harboring the pretentious or pompous attitudes of our neighbors. Way back, in fact, one of our state's good people remarked that North Carolina was "a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit."
Oh how times have changed....:D

Thanks for the info. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
NC's capital definitly is ugly. My favorites on the list are West Virginia and Virginia. I like Virginia's because its unique compared to other US capitols and the Jefferson connection in history is great. It reminds me of the Parthenon alot. Kentucky's is beautiful but i wish it was in the middle of a vibrant city.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I never really cared how it looks ...it was just an historis building with a lot of importance to it. However, I do like the LA state capitol...........the tallest state capitol in the US. Well................Buffalo has the tallest City Hall...... right?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts