SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just curious to see what a person from the South(from Pennsylavnia down) thinks of New York City and the rest of the state. I'm from NY and I've heard a lot of criticism from out of staters saying NY's too populated and big. I love the size and population. I think it's perfect. So what do you think about NY? :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It's a big city...I like it. I'm not into the Yankee thing. It's many out West who seem to be far out and different from everyone and everything East of the Rockies, IMO. I wouldn't particularly want to live there, but, it's nothing against New York. It's just not home. New Orleans is home, for me. And I'm glad it's that way for me.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I was in Manhattan in April 2005. My aunt lived there most of her life, and kept her apartment on the Upper West Side even when she moved down here. So we had a place to stay for free, it was small but nicer than several hundred per night for a hotel room.

I love to visit NYC for a few days at a time. I like the endless things to do, though I rarely do any of them, and I like that you can get almost anywhere on the subway. We wanted to spend the day at Brighton Beach (where some of my family grew up). We took the train from 79th street, it was much easier than getting in the car, fighting traffic, etc.

I love the different people, languages, food, etc. that can be found all the time.

But I don't think I'd like living in New York. After awhile, it gets overwhelming. And I don't do cold, so I wouldn't be interested in New York from Oct-Feb whatsoever.

But it's a nice city :) Nicer now that it's a little cleaner than when I first went in '85, or than it looks in Taxi Driver or Midnight Cowboy.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Fast paced, huge skyline and skyscrapers, lots to do, something for everyone, expensive, crowded, busy, cold, historical AND new, vibrant :)

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
well, i'm originally from upstate new york so i still see NY as 'home' even though i have no desire to ever live there again.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ocober isn't bad. You can go out on Halloween in a long-sleeved shirt. But I love Christmas here. Radio City, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, and all the Christmas lights. Just AWESOME!!! :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
mid-town said:
Ocober isn't bad. You can go out on Halloween in a long-sleeved shirt. But I love Christmas here. Radio City, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, and all the Christmas lights. Just AWESOME!!! :)
Maybe I'll give it a try sometime... but I've always been in NY in the summer until last year, and even in April it was pretty warm most of the time.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
i'd love to explore the state and live in NYC...although i think i like London more than NYC now. NYC's fallen to be my third favorite city in the world (Glasgow and London beat it.)

-

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
Never been. But might go to college there in a few years. I've only been to one of the largest three cities in the nation and I'm only 4 hours south of the largest.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buffalo has parts that are depressing. But it also has beautiful parts. Delaware Ave. masions, Delaware park tudors, and North Buffalo tree-lined streets with old houses. About 15 miles from Buffalo is one of Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece houses.

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
I love New York. I dont think I would want to live there for a long itme but a short 6 month to a year tenure would be fun.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I love going to New York even though i mostly go to long island something about it that i like, traffic sucks though and its old but thats what makes it unique.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
If you want to feel a mini-New York, complete with different dialects by neighborhood, food, income, etc, you would enjoy New Orleans.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sean in New Orleans said:
If you want to feel a mini-New York, complete with different dialects by neighborhood, food, income, etc, you would enjoy New Orleans.
I was in New Orleans a couple years ago for a week. I absolutely loved it!! It's a GREAT city. :applause: :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Been to NYC twice. I have visited many cities throughout the US from NY to California, and I think NYC is the most amazing city I have been to. It truly is the capital of the world. Everything from the architecture, food, diversity, museums....it's just an incredible place. I want to live there badly.

Pensacola

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I like NYC a lot, especially Midtown and all the world-class things there.

But... I have to say, Americans tend to have this automatic "best city in the world" response, and I'm not so sure about that. London is at least as amazing a city, all things considered.

·
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan
1,839 Posts
I am a New Jersey native and all of my family is from NYC; many native Southerners have the impression that New Yorkers are rude UNTIL they go to visit. Just like most New Yorkers think Southerners are slow/backwards until they spend some time here. Everyone has their regional biases.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts