Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coast Chinatown design gets feng shui tick

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/05/30/419931_gold-coast-news.html

A FENG shui master has given the proposed Southport Chinatown precinct the tick after a spiritual visit two weeks ago.

Sydney's John Wong was brought in to inspect the Gold Coast Chinatown area on Davenport and Young streets to ensure the precinct had appropriate feng shui.

Feng shui involves the placement of space and objects to achieve harmony within an environment.

Gold Coast Chinatown Association adviser Brett Saville said Mr Wong had "seemed quite positive about it all".

"He had no issues with the location but he gave us some indication of where the paifang (welcome gates) should go," Mr Saville said.

"He said they needed to be in certain locations and those locations are available."

Chinatown Association chairman John Howe said the architects would be getting back to him with a plan that fitted in to the feng shui suggestions.

"We're about two weeks away from the masterplan being drawn up," he said.

Mr Howe said the Chinatown would be part of an internationally flavoured precinct in Southport.

"I think it's all positive and I don't think there's negativity towards it ... as long as we build it into an overall plan for an international precinct," he said.

"We've got to take it through two new governments and unless council is behind us it's all a waste of time."

Gold Coast mayor Tom Tate said he would throw his full support behind the Chinatown proposal and confirmed that public consultation would be part of his cornerstone.

"I am anxious to see what the masterplan proposal has," Cr Tate said.

"The tourism market from China is a growth market so this will send out a signal to them. The China blend should be the major influence but we want to add an international flavour as well."

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why is it the last thing the Gold Coast needs? Southport has a large concentration of Chinese/Japanese and Korean immigrants, and the precinct I imagine to be a success. I'd love to see it established.

Similar to your view on Jewel - I don't think you'll have much backing here :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Why is it the last thing the Gold Coast needs? Southport has a large concentration of Chinese/Japanese and Korean immigrants, and the precinct I imagine to be a success. I'd love to see it established.

Similar to your view on Jewel - I don't think you'll have much backing here :)
Yes, it is similar. However, I don't oppose Jewel for the same reasons. I don't know why Australian people are in such a hurry to throw away their cultural identity. The Chinese/Korean/Japanese people do not pander to every whim of foreigners, they are very nationalistic.

If you don't believe me then go and live in one those countries for a few years ( I have ) Chinatown is NOT Australian, and it will become another enclave.

Well, I guess I will be called a "racist" now, it is typical.

The Gold Coast Council and Tom Tate should be ashamed of themselves!

·
Registered
17,681 Posts
^^ Firstly, the Chinatown concept was started by the former council, so it's not a Tom Tate idea, just one that he is rightly supporting.

Secondly, how is having a Chinatown precinct not Australian? Australia is one of the most multicultural countries in the world, and has been so for decades. Embracing international cultures is a HUGE part of our Cultural Identity, to the extent that modern Australia is more of less an amalgamation of the cultures of the world. We embrace the cultures or numerous people around the world with various precincts, whether named or not, that are distinctly Asian, or European, or African, and a Chinatown precinct like this is no different.

And particularly in a place like the Gold Coast, which naturally has a large Asian/Asian-Australian population and plays host to thousands of visitors from all corners of the world, an Asian-themed precinct, provided it's well planned and executed, could prove to be a big draw card. The Asian culture already exists here, why not build on the strength of having that culture by building it into a tourist precinct?

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it is similar. However, I don't oppose Jewel for the same reasons. I don't know why Australian people are in such a hurry to throw away their cultural identity. The Chinese/Korean/Japanese people do not pander to every whim of foreigners, they are very nationalistic.

If you don't believe me then go and live in one those countries for a few years ( I have ) Chinatown is NOT Australian, and it will become another enclave.

As Nath said, the modern Australian cultural identity is an amalgamation of cultures. I certainly don't think the proposed Chinatown is a case of throwing away any such cultural identity - not that the area can claim much in the way of culture (unless lad and reckless youth culture count) in which case, a cultural cleanse sounds appealing.

Cannot wait to see Butterbeats go, along with the stupid Kiwi shop and 6x Thai massage joints!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Go and live in Sydney ad Melbourne and see first hand a great precinct of cultural deversity and integration!! China Town in Sydney is a mecca for locals and visitors to the city! Calling any "Chinatown" a racial enclave is stupid and ignorant! Creating a China town in Southport will improve the area dramatically, bringing thousands of visitors every week! Go to the Chinese New Year celebrations in Sydney and the tens of thousands of spectators stretch from Park Street through to Town Hall all along George Street through to Hay Market! It's one of the best times to be in Sydney! Having something similar on the GC will only make the city better!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Go and live in Sydney ad Melbourne and see first hand a great precinct of cultural deversity and integration!! China Town in Sydney is a mecca for locals and visitors to the city! Calling any "Chinatown" a racial enclave is stupid and ignorant! Creating a China town in Southport will improve the area dramatically, bringing thousands of visitors every week! Go to the Chinese New Year celebrations in Sydney and the tens of thousands of spectators stretch from Park Street through to Town Hall all along George Street through to Hay Market! It's one of the best times to be in Sydney! Having something similar on the GC will only make the city better!
Well, I would not call Cabramatta in Sydney for instance ,a fine example of cultural integration. Generally, Asian people stick together, and are opposed to inter-racial relationships and marriage.

I don't like Chinatowns, they encourage segregation. Do you think you would be able to go to Beijing and build an "Australia Town". You would be laughed at! So why do we allow it, and they don't?

·
Registered
17,681 Posts
Shaun, it's because a considerably large portion of Australia's population (particularly when measured against total population) is made up of people from Asian backgrounds, particularly from China/Taiwan, and they have a long history of being in Australia (well over 100 years). However, there is not nearly as sizeable an Australian population living in China, and we have no strong, traditional cultural association with China, like the Chinese have with us.

However, examples of the reverse do exist. If you were to talk about Hong Kong on the otherhand, there are still strong influences of Hong Kong's British Imperial history, as there are in numerous other former colonial countries in South East Asia. And I do believe that there is still a sizeable population of people of British origin who still reside in Hong Kong, although it is a relatively small amount in relation to total population.

As for encouraging segregation, I think segregation is more down to the social norms and the personal preference of people from a particular background. People of an Asian background I imagine would more often than not (but not exclusively) be attracted to people also of an Asian appearence, just as the majority of caucasians are attracted to other caucasians, people of southern European origins like Greeks and Italians are likewise often attracted to other Greeks and Italians. It's not forced segregation, it's personal preference.

If anything, Chinatowns promote racial harmony, respect and interest in the culture, particularly in way of their food, products and architectural and artistic influences.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Well, I would not call Cabramatta in Sydney for instance ,a fine example of cultural integration. Generally, Asian people stick together, and are opposed to inter-racial relationships and marriage.

I don't like Chinatowns, they encourage segregation. Do you think you would be able to go to Beijing and build an "Australia Town". You would be laughed at! So why do we allow it, and they don't?
China have built several European Towns. I know of a German Town, New England and others, I forget but Greek, Spanish and of course Little Italy: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...talia-now-remade-in-china-20111110-1n9bb.html

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

:eek:hno:

The problems that occurred in Cabramatta in the '80's and '90's were because of many reasons and not because "Asian people stick together". The Vietnamese people that were placed their by the government of the time were actually Refugees seeking a better way of life from their worn torn country! The failings in Cabramatta stemmed from Australia being completely unprepared for the thousands of boat arrivals from Vietnam over 30 years and also for the general "*******" Aussie viewing them as "Cockroaches from the jungle" (suggest you watch the SBS doco 'Once upon A Time in Cabramatta' to get an idea of attitudes at the time!

As for your segregation argument, are you living under a rock? Segregation implies we are forcing the asian community to live there! Take a walk around ANY suburb in our major cities and you'll come across people of all racial backgrounds living together peacefully and proving how multicultural this country is!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

Well theres Amemura in Osaka - tranlates to "American Village". Its just a shopping district though.

But I do agree with your point in that the Chinese as a nation are culturally closed and although very rich in heritage, they are not mature culturally, and very inward focussed people. Thats just my experience.

But I do not see that as any reason for us not to celebrate our diversity by having these type of developments. It does lead to less integration but on the positive it allows many Australians to experience another culture that may not otherwise do so. I think these things as a whole are a benefit to the rest of our society. I for one do not want immigrants to be entirely integrated into traditional Australian society and ways, I like them to be proud of their culture and show that to to the rest of Australia by displaying it in these developments. It adds to the rich fabric of our society.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well theres Amemura in Osaka - tranlates to "American Village". Its just a shopping district though.

But I do agree with your point in that the Chinese as a nation are culturally closed and although very rich in heritage, they are not mature culturally, and very inward focussed people. Thats just my experience.

But I do not see that as any reason for us not to celebrate our diversity by having these type of developments. It does lead to less integration but on the positive it allows many Australians to experience another culture that may not otherwise do so. I think these things as a whole are a benefit to the rest of our society. I for one do not want immigrants to be entirely integrated into traditional Australian society and ways, I like them to be proud of their culture and show that to to the rest of Australia by displaying it in these developments. It adds to the rich fabric of our society.
Ok, I agree that the Chinese ( especially mainlanders ) are very insular and closed off, and in general, don't like Western people ( there are exceptions ofcourse ) Everyone on here is entitled to their opinion. I have not lived in Taiwan or HK, it is possible that the Chinese are more open there, but as for the mainland, they are still in a timewarp. Having said that, there are some mainlanders hoping for change, but old habits die hard.

Anyway, I don't like Chinatown's, there are enough already. I would prefer Southport to stay the way it is. In the late 90's there were plans to have a Chinatown in Parramatta also, which I did not like either, as it is a very historical part of greater Sydney with a lot of character.

BTW, to all posters here, I am not against ALL Chinese development. For example, the Midtown project in Brisbane is something I support, and it is Chinese backed. I know many people on here think it is hideous, but it is only 90 or so metres, it is ok for that location and won't stand out too much.

Any sort of reasonably affordable CBD housing is welcomed, and the developers are quite smart to recognize that. Is it possible that some less wealthy investors, or owner-occupiers ( including non-rich Chinese people ) might take interest in it. Anyway, that is off topic on here.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
"Chinatown" is just a name for Asian themed eat street. It will be a tourist attraction and will activate Southport.
Not necessarily. There is a variety of retailers that you can find in Chinatowns these days. They do have nice giftshops and other speciality stores.

1 - 20 of 398 Posts