Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Well, I would not call Cabramatta in Sydney for instance ,a fine example of cultural integration. Generally, Asian people stick together, and are opposed to inter-racial relationships and marriage.

I don't like Chinatowns, they encourage segregation. Do you think you would be able to go to Beijing and build an "Australia Town". You would be laughed at! So why do we allow it, and they don't?
Well theres Amemura in Osaka - tranlates to "American Village". Its just a shopping district though.

But I do agree with your point in that the Chinese as a nation are culturally closed and although very rich in heritage, they are not mature culturally, and very inward focussed people. Thats just my experience.

But I do not see that as any reason for us not to celebrate our diversity by having these type of developments. It does lead to less integration but on the positive it allows many Australians to experience another culture that may not otherwise do so. I think these things as a whole are a benefit to the rest of our society. I for one do not want immigrants to be entirely integrated into traditional Australian society and ways, I like them to be proud of their culture and show that to to the rest of Australia by displaying it in these developments. It adds to the rich fabric of our society.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
it's just you.

Myself I was just making an observation from my experience. When talking about populations as a whole you can only talk in generalisations.

Shuan indicates he has lived on the Chinese mainland, so i suspect there isn't any racism from his side, just merely commenting personal experience and observation -but that is for him to substantiate.

Me, well my wife is chinese, my two boys then are obviously half-chinese. And therefore my in-laws are chinese as well - Australian chinese, mainland chinese and hong kongers.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
yeah my wife is an ABC banana (Aus. Born. Chinese., yellow on outside, white on inside)

Totally different perspective to the previous generations.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Chinatown is a big part of what makes the valley. Taking it away would only detract from its vibrancy.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Don't start slapping each other on the back yet. The businesses need to remain there and be viable for the precinct to take hold. I am hopeful there is a decent budget in GC tourism and council for events and marketing so events can be held in this new precinct, like Chinese new year, Buddha festival etc etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts