SkyscraperCity Forum banner
361 - 380 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Also a HUGE TV Screen or electronic billboard has been placed on the side of the ugly Telstra building that was the old Exchange facing the main Southport Tram Station opp the Cecil Hotel it looks fantastic gives Southport a real Asian CBD feel. It’s part of the 5G Innovation Centre at the Southport Exchange. The screen is massive it runs almost the full length of the building and is 1 story’s high, just near Chinatown.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Free Southport CBD Street Party - 4 April to the 15 April.
All right Gold Coasters, so theres no traffic or cars on the road? Treat it like your own royal motorcade and swing down to Chinatown. Front door parking at Australia Fair Metro (off Garden St), local restaurants dishing up the finest Asian foods, Museum of the Moon in flight, Comm Games action on the Big Screen, street food dining, and live bands until 10pm AND amusement rides for the kids. All within 2 city blocks... why sit on the couch on such a great day. See you soon.. For info on the Museum of the Moon click here https://my-moon.org

·
Registered
508 Posts
Some great Asian food places have opened up recently at the base of Southport Central Towers in Chinatown, Southport, Gold Coast. So if you like Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Tiawanese, Singaporean, Cantonese, Philippines, Indonesian or Malayasian you can grab a nice quick meal for under $10 bucks.....bargain

I live and work in Southport and every week a new Asian business opens not just food but other services as well. I can see within the next 5 to 10 years Southport will overtake Sunnybank as the Asian Business Capital of Queensland.

Chinese have bought the old convent site and ANZ Bank, Koreans have just bought the Court House Hotel and are renovating it into a Asian school and business centre, Chinese have bought the development site next to the Westpac Bank ect Southport is pumping.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
^ Without checking the menu, Panda in the Kitchen probably have it.

It's very easy to eat cheaply in Southport these days, even if my all-time favourite remains Ichiban Boshi which has been there for at least 15 years.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just got sent this email from the Office of the Gold Coast CBD.

Good afternoon Chinatown Traders,

The Chinatown Street Markets have been operating now for over three years. We have seen this event grow in popularity and establish itself as a much loved regular event in the Gold Coast calendar.

Now it’s time for a makeover! The Markets will continue to operate on the first Saturday of every month, however the footprint will change. It will now operate along Davenport Street and Davison Lane.

We hope that this new layout will
- Provide a different product offering, keeping people coming back to explore the event
- Reduces the footprint of the Markets allowing Young Street to remain open – over the years we have received a lot feedback from local businesses unhappy with the loss of parking and access due to road closures
- Showcase the new urban artwork down Davison Lane
- Get the community exploring Chinatown laneways

We will continue to monitor the new layout and make changes where we feel necessary to ensure its continued success. If you would like a stall at the Markets or would like to run some type of activity or entertainment please contact the CBD Office.

The remaining event dates for 2018 are as follows.

Remaining Event for 2018
• 7 July - Chinatown Street Markets 5pm – 9pm
• 4 August – Chinatown Street Markets 5pm – 9pm
• 1 September - Chinatown Street Markets 5pm – 9pm
• 6 October – Chinatown Street Markets 5pm – 9pm
• 3 November - Chinatown Street Markets 5pm – 9pm
• December – no event

Thanks for your ongoing support.

Kind regards
Gold Coast CBD Office

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
That's kind of good news. Only thing is, the Chinatown Markets are often really crowded as it is. I'm assuming they're just going to be using food trucks on Davidson Lane, but I'm going to lowkey hope this may be the catalyst to seeing more permanent offerings on the laneway (other than just the Karaoke place who nobody really even knows is there).

·
I only buy it for the pic
497 Posts
9pm seems a little early (though not having been there maybe no-one there then?).

Most night markets in SE Asia are open much later. Is this for a westernised Asian experience? Our climate particularly in summer lends itself to more evening/ night outdoor activities. Seems this may be aimed more at locals than tourists though done right could attract significant numbers of both. The GC population is reaching a level that ideas like this should be well supported.

·
I only buy it for the pic
497 Posts
Just saw your reply DMT.

Good that they are crowded- I read Taroom's post as if it needed to downsize due to lack of numbers. Perhaps more than once a month would make it worthwhile. Not sure the thoughts of the local businesses re impact. I would have thought it would be a positive for most businesses if done regularly enough.

Do you know what the feeling is Taroom?

·
Registered
508 Posts

The Southport Sex Shop in Young Street Chinatown (photo above) has just been leased and will be turned into a Vietnamese Grocery and Butcher Shop this will be a great addition to the Chinatown precinct. There are no vacant shops on Young Street or Davenport Street in Chinatown all shops are now fully leased. Prior to the creation of Chinatown these two streets were run down and full of vacant shops.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi Eastern it is really coming together slowly but its getting there the Chinatown precinct has given Southport and the CBD a point of difference to other areas of the GC so that is a good thing. I was down in Burleigh today and couldnt get over how different the two suburbs are. More shops and businesses are needed but every week a new asian buisniess opens in Southport and the CBD so that is a good thing as more Asian tourist are coming into the suburb to dine and shop something they didnt do before. At night almost everyone in the CBD is asian so the area is fast becoming like Sunnybank without Chinatown Southport would just be another Broadbeach or Coolangatta. The light rail destroyed many businesses in Southport so its pleasing to see the suburb is picking itself up and moving forward. It is hoped with all the great cheap Asian food places to eat in Southport (you can get a great meal for under $10 bucks) will lead to some cool bars opening to cater for the after dinner crowd.

·
Registered
508 Posts
SOUTHPORTS Courthouse Hotel has been sold to Koreans and is set to be transformed from a temple of boozing to a sanctuary of ... Academique, which provides foreign students with English language, remedial massage and hospitality. The hotel is located opp Chinatown in the Southport CBD.

361 - 380 of 398 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.