Skyscraper City Forum banner
21 - 40 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
it's just you.

Myself I was just making an observation from my experience. When talking about populations as a whole you can only talk in generalisations.

Shuan indicates he has lived on the Chinese mainland, so i suspect there isn't any racism from his side, just merely commenting personal experience and observation -but that is for him to substantiate.

Me, well my wife is chinese, my two boys then are obviously half-chinese. And therefore my in-laws are chinese as well - Australian chinese, mainland chinese and hong kongers.

·
Registered
263 Posts
China

Yes Samuel, I live in China ( Nanning ) Earlier ( in 2008, 2009 ) I lived in Wuhan. I come back to Brisbane every five months or so. I have found the Chinese to be very closed minded and set in their ways.

Many foreign men have moved to China as it is much cheaper to live here ( outside of Shanghai , Guangzhou, Beijing, Shenzhen ) Another reason is because of the intense dislike many Western men have for Western women.

I have nearly married twice here. One woman I was in love with, but she wanted to move to Australia full-time ( I don't want to ) so that killed off that relationship. She was OK though, she was not greedy, did not want or need money.

Some Chinese women can be as greedy and lazy as any Western girl, I have really learned this. Many just want money and a visa. However I HAVE met many Chinese women who were well educated, self-reliant, stylish, attractive, and who want a love marriage.

Some men get burned by a bad Chinese girl and call them all "bitches" or "scum" but that is unfair to the good ones, and there are still many of them. The problem in China is that economically it is progressing, but socially and morally it is going backwards. It is the result of the fast buck mentality and greed, materialism and over-consumption.

A lot of Chinese men here also have strange attitudes toward women: won't marry anyone over 30, divorced women are ignored, girl must be a virgin,etc, unrealistic and stupid thinking.

If a women is 28 or over in China she is sheng nv ( maybe sheng nu ) in pin yin, it means "leftover woman". They are considered to be useless here and are not marriageable.

Anyway, no, I don't hate Chinese people, I just don't like many Chinese attitudes, and I don't like the way their society is progressing and the lack of compassion one sees here ( to people, and even worse to animals )

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
A lot of Chinese men here also have strange attitudes toward women: won't marry anyone over 30, divorced women are ignored, girl must be a virgin,etc, unrealistic and stupid thinking.

If a women is 28 or over in China she is sheng nv ( maybe sheng nu ) in pin yin, it means "leftover woman". They are considered to be useless here and are not marriageable.

Anyway, no, I don't hate Chinese people, I just don't like many Chinese attitudes, and I don't like the way their society is progressing and the lack of compassion one sees here ( to people, and even worse to animals )

I agree on some of your points, but mind you, the second generation Chinese born in Australia will be completely different from the typical Chinese people, and the third generations won't even speak Chinese and 100% Aussie inside.

·
Registered
17,674 Posts
^^ An "ABC Banana"? :lol: Never heard that one before!

But yes, a major point is that the social perspective of people with a foreign background will change over the generations. As the younger generations grow up here, they have a social perspective much more in tune with the overall "national social perspective" (ie that of the majority of Australians), as opposed to the social perspective that their parents/grandparents may have had, which was largely influenced by where ever they originated from. I think that we will see similar things occurring with the wider Australian Muslim communities, where some of the more "hardline" views from that community which are seen at the moment (and exaggerated often by Today Tonight and ACA) will give way to a much more moderate viewpoint in the coming generations.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I think that we will see similar things occurring with the wider Australian Muslim communities, where some of the more "hardline" views from that community which are seen at the moment (and exaggerated often by Today Tonight and ACA) will give way to a much more moderate viewpoint in the coming generations.
This is an interesting one. Juding by trends in other countries, you're absolutely right. There is, also, another phenomenon that tends to occur two or three generations down the line where some develop an quasi "identity crisis" where there's a feeling of removal from their original ancestry. This is leads to small clusters popping up where neighbourhoods and communities start looking inward and can become fiercely protective of an identity they, perhaps don't have, but feel as though they should. As a result, more extreme behaviour and antisocial problems crop up.

The UK has lots of examples of this.

·
Registered
17,674 Posts
^^ That's an interesting phenomenon, and one I hadn't thought of. I would imagine that there would be other issues in addition to the "identity crisis" that could lead people down this path (I'm thinking largely social & financial 'quality of life' type issues which seem to afflict large portions of the UK in general).

Have to say that I'm a fan of the Chinatown branding they're going with. There was the possibility that they could have made it really tacky/cheesy looking (this is the GC we're talking about after all) but they've come up with a rather nice visual identity of the area. I look forward to seeing how the area itself ends up looking.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
^^ I agree, I'm sure there are a number of factors that contribute.

The other example is Vancouver - a mate of mine lives there (and yes, this is all hearsay). He said there's a large Indian / Sri Lankan contingent. The "newbies" have a hard time adjusting to the social differences, the second and third generations socially integrate well, but the fourth and fifth generations are the "trouble makers" and tend to be part of "cultural cliques". Obviously this is a sweeping statement and only relates to a tiny percentage of the pop, though.

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. I think Chinatown for Southport sounds fantastic - they're usually such great melting pots!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Why is it the last thing the Gold Coast needs? Southport has a large concentration of Chinese/Japanese and Korean immigrants, and the precinct I imagine to be a success. I'd love to see it established.
:)

And particularly in a place like the Gold Coast, which naturally has a large Asian/Asian-Australian population and plays host to thousands of visitors from all corners of the world, an Asian-themed precinct, provided it's well planned and executed, could prove to be a big draw card. The Asian culture already exists here, why not build on the strength of having that culture by building it into a tourist precinct?
Ok Shaun! This will make you feel better. I am calling these two posters racist and not you.

You try telling a Korean, or Japanese that they can go put their shop in Chinatown and watch the reaction. They aren't the same and they don't really get along. If there was a Francetown you wouldn't expect it to cater for Spain, Germany and England would you? China is China, not Asia.

Anyhow I think Southport can easily support it so it's fine to go ahead and a nice addition

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks for that well thought out contribution. In an around the proposed Chinatown area (including Davenport Street) there are already a number of Korean BBQs/offerings set up next door to Chinese noodle shops, etc. On Davenport Street there's another Korean BBQ, A Japanese Karaoke Bar, and Thai Massage parlours too. I don't think they give two hoots, tbh.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ok Shaun! This will make you feel better. I am calling these two posters racist and not you.

You try telling a Korean, or Japanese that they can go put their shop in Chinatown and watch the reaction. They aren't the same and they don't really get along. If there was a Francetown you wouldn't expect it to cater for Spain, Germany and England would you? China is China, not Asia.

Anyhow I think Southport can easily support it so it's fine to go ahead and a nice addition
I don't really think any posters on here are racist. There have been Asians on the Gold Coast for quite some time now. Most people are used to it, and in general they are law abiding people who contribute a lot to GC society.

If white Australian people and Asians marry each other in Australia I think that's good, and there should be more of it. I just don't like any sort of enclave, and sorry to say, I think Chinatowns can become enclaves.

Even some Chinese have told me they don't like them, they are a crutch for Chinese immigrants, and they hinder English learning, as they make the Chinese lazy as far as language and culture adaption are concerned.

Anyway, if it goes ahead then so be it. I already like Southport, it does not need this project IMO, it is good the way it is, a nice and different part of the coast.

In general, you are right, the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese generally don't like each other much, although a lot of K-pop and Korean soap operas are popular in China.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
You try telling a Korean, or Japanese that they can go put their shop in Chinatown and watch the reaction. They aren't the same and they don't really get along.
You obviously haven't been to Chinatown.
There is a lot of Japanese/Korean restaurants/shops in Sydney's Chinatown, let alone Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian, Vietnamese, etc. Chinatown isn't only for Chinese people anymore, it's mixture of all Asian culture. Japanese people love Korean BBQ and Chinese people love Japanese Ramen noodles. Politics doesn't matter in Chinatown.

·
Registered
17,674 Posts
The unofficial Chinatown that is Sunnybank is the same. From the main intersection I could see neighbouring restaurants from at least 6-8 South East Asian nationalities. The smell that wafts over the area from the numerous restaurants in awesome!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The unofficial Chinatown that is Sunnybank is the same. From the main intersection I could see neighbouring restaurants from at least 6-8 South East Asian nationalities. The smell that wafts over the area from the numerous restaurants in awesome!
"Unofficial"? PLEASE! Sunnybank leaves the valley for dead when it comes to Asian stores and Cruisine! The hive of activity in Sunnybank is always more then the Chinatown mall in the Valley!

·
Registered
263 Posts
"Unofficial"? PLEASE! Sunnybank leaves the valley for dead when it comes to Asian stores and Cruisine! The hive of activity in Sunnybank is always more then the Chinatown mall in the Valley![/QUOT

I have not been around there for about four years. Will have to check it out when I am back in two weeks time. Sure it has changed quite a bit.

21 - 40 of 398 Posts