SkyscraperCity Forum banner
141 - 160 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Australia Fair Metro is definitely going well and you can see in this picture that the inside is almost completely cleared now.

The article above that says the entrance will directly line up with the Confucius statue is factual as can be seen in these plans:

I think it's fair to say that most of the food tenancies that will line Young St will be Asian themed to blend in with the Chinatown precinct. The existing retailers are only found along Scarborough St which include stores like Amcal, TAB, Comm Bank etc. Then you have the general retail stores that appear once you actually enter Australia Fair Metro. You can also see the concourse continues south towards Southport Central.

This is what the inside is intended to look like:

Now for more info on Chinatown itself. You can see in this picture that red lanterns are being installed on the awnings through Davenport St.

Another picture of a red lantern attached to the awning and a Chinese restaurant in the precinct, despite the media claiming there is nothing Chinese about the Gold Coast Chinatown.

I also noticed this big banner attached to the awning in front of the JPOPS karaoke bar. Most of it was blank and coloured black but on the corner there was a dragon with what I presume in Chinese letters. I have a feeling the banner will be completely filled with pictures/writing in the near future.

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Chinatown opened today Sat 28th of Feb I have never seen so many people in Southport the place was packed the street was standing room only this is just the best thing ever to have happened in Southport. The Council would have to have been so pleased with the response there were thousands and thousands of people there today all the street stalls ran out of food so good to see the people of our city get behind a project like this.

·
Registered
325 Posts
A DA to demolish 80 Scarborough St was submitted last week. If you look at the site on the map you will find it actually backs on to one of the alleyways of Chinatown. Is is possible the owner is looking to open something Asian related?

Has anything new been added to the Chinatown precinct since it opened?

·
Registered
325 Posts
80 Scarborough? Apart from that late 80s- early 90s "retro" facade on it, I've always thought of it as one of the better looking buildings along that stretch, so I'm surprised to see it go before some of its neighbours.
I agree but the land is too valuable to be wasted on a two-storey medical centre. We're talking about prime real estate here that really should become a high rise. Does anyone have any idea of the ownership of 80 Scarborough? Recently sold perhaps?

I think I might start a thread in the Gold Coast sub forum to discuss spare unused land in the Southport PDA. There is quite a bit out there that doesn't appear to have any plans as of yet.

·
Registered
508 Posts
RE: 80 Scarborough Street

Hi Matchu

I went to a Chinatown Traders Meeting last month and we were told by Council the the criss cross street lights/lanterns and the Eastern Gate on the corner of Young and Scarborough Street will be installed to coincide with the opening of Australia Fair Metro in September. Australia Fair want there refurbishment completed and all the shops fitted out in time for the September School holidays and Council told us they would like to see the Chinatown precinct finished and tied in with that opening.

Council are still trying to get funding for the two other remaining gates from our sister cities in China so that has been the delay and these two gates won't be up until at least next year. Council also said they are trying to sort tiles for the building of the Eastern Gate that has funding in place and hope to start work on this gate around the end of July or early August and want it completed in time for the Australia Fair Metro opening in September.

Three new Chinese restaurants have just opened one on Davenport Street in Chinatown called Red Dragon and one on the cnr of Nerang and Davenport Street at the top of Chinatown directly opposite the Mayors office Mingsanity has just opened and Memory Taste of Fu Kang has just opened in Scarborough Street near the corner of Young Street in Chinatown I will try and get some photos of them for you so it's getting there but very slowly.

With regard to 80 Scarborough Street I was told by other Southport traders that building is owned by a Chinese family with links to a large Chinese government owned pharmaceutical company they are an incredibly wealthy family who have just recently purchased the property and paid the REJECT Shop the major tenant in the buildings lease out so that the building would become vacant but I heard it was to be turned into a massive Asian karaoke restaurant but this could be wrong as there is no parking on the site.

I have taken some pics today (above) showing you the front and back of the building it's huge with access to one of the old lanes in the heart of Chinatown.

·
Registered
508 Posts
GOLD COAST CHINATOWN UPDATE.

(Photos taken Anzac Day 25 April 2015) showing the construction of the $20 million dollar refurbishment of Australia Fair's Chinatown Retail Precinct due to open in September also have taken pics of the three new Chinese Restaurants that have just opened in the Chinatown precinct.

There are now four Chinese Restaurants operating in Chinatown and lots of Korean, Japanese, Thai and Vietnamese food places and businesses nearby, word on the street is Australia Fair has signed up 8 Asian food outlets for there 20 million dollar Chinatown refurbishment that faces Young Street but this can't be confirmed.

I feel once the Chinese Gates go up in Chinatown and the criss cross street lanterns and lights are installed in the precinct and the work on Australia Fair is finished in September Chinatown will start to really pump.

Council in the past has come under fire from trying to build this precinct from scratch but what many who criticise this project have forgot is only a year or so back the Southport CBD was run down, full of ferals, homeless people, empty vacant shops for lease, decaying buildings and failing businesses now the CBD is pumping. The flow on effect from the Chinatown experiment from what I can see is it is helping change Southport from a run down tied suburb into what in time will be a very hip place to live, work and play sort of like Fortitude Valley in Brisbane lots of cool lounge bars and places to eat a very multicultural suburb not a nightclub party place but a cool funky CBD.

Australia Fair shopping centre in Southport is owned by a Chinese/Australian Family, the family (Queensland's second richest family) also owns Sunnybank Plaza in Sunnybank, Brisbane's unofficial Chinatown so a lot of the Asian shops from there shopping centre in Sunnybank are taking second leases out to open in the Chinatown Retail Precinct in Southport so this should guarantee the Gold Coast Chinatown project will be successful.

I think credit should be given to council and also to Cr Crichlow the local councillor for supporting this controversial idea of a Chinatown as it is a wonderful showcase on how to redevelop an ailing suburb that a few years back had lost it's way.

Chinatown and Southport will take time to grow and develop much like Fortitude Valley in Brisbane has changed over the years but Gold City Council has planted the seed and our Chinatown is growing into something wonderful and I take my hat off to all involved for the foresight in running with this project and breathing life back into Southport and our CBD.

·
Registered
508 Posts
HARMONY GATE

I have just come from a Chinatown Traders meeting with Council and can confirm that the above pic is the design Council and local traders have formally settled on for the HARMONY GATE that will be built near Australia Fair West just down from the TAB on the corner of Scarborough and Young Street at the Eastern entrance of Chinatown in Southport.

Council has budgeted and approved the funding of $275,000 dollars for its construction and the Chinatown traders have signed off on the design and gave it there tick of approval so construction of this gate has now been given the green light, tiles are currently being sort and work on building the gate will start in July the installation of the night projectors and criss cross street lights and lanterns will also take place around this time and have been signed off and approved by council and the Chinatown traders.

Funding and construction of the other two remaining gates set to be built at the Northern and Western end of the Chinatown Precinct in Davenport and Young Street is still ongoing and will not happen till next year. What is known is the Mayor and traders are pushing for the remaining two gates to have a much more traditional design and that it is hoped the Gold Coast sister cities in China will come onboard to help with the deign, cost and construction of the remaining two gates hence the delay. Work on the above Harmony Gate can start earlier than the remaining two as this Gate is being designed, built and funded locally here on the Coast by the City Council not in China and should be completed by August this year.

Finally Council told us at our meeting that on Sat 28th of Feb, fifteen thousand people visited the inaugural Chinese New Years 2015 Celebrations in the Chinatown precinct, WOW way to go Southport.

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/documents/bf/chinatown-masterplan.pdf

Above is a link to the Gold Coast Chinatown Plan

·
Registered
508 Posts
CHINATOWN SATURDAY STREET MARKET

Free events - Starting this Saturday 2 May

Chinatown Street Markets - First Saturday of the month

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/gold-coast-chinatown-17077.html

Taste your way through Asia without leaving the Gold Coast – a free event not to be missed! First Saturday of the month from 4pm - 10pm with the first markets commencing this Saturday 2 May.

First three markets:

Saturday 2 May
Saturday 6 June
Saturday 4 July

Showcasing the very best of multicultural cuisine from across Asia, Chinatown will transform into a vibrant street food and entertainment scene as the first Asian inspired food market takes over the streets of Southport.

The street markets will change with the seasons through live entertainment, regular showcases, live cooking demonstrations, and cultural celebrations rotating monthly to invigorate the culture, creativity and energy of Gold Coast Chinatown.

Local traders will also extend their hours during market times. Applications for ‘Asian-inspired’ stallholders are currently open. To register your interest in these monthly markets, please email [email protected].

Parking

Free parking is available at the Athol Paterson, Mal Burke and Carey car parks after 5pm on Saturdays. Visit our City parking map for details.

Transport

Ride the G: Disembark at the Southport Station, Nerang Street.
Bus: Contact Translink for bus transport options from different areas of the city.
Taxi: Contact Gold Coast Cabs.
Cycling: Ride your bike and park in one of the many bike racks around the precinct.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Can't they just get some set designers form Movie World to re-theme this whole street. As in if you're going to make it a China-Town then go to town with the concept.

Reactions: taroom

·
Registered
508 Posts
Soil testing started today for the Chinese Gates

Soil testing started today for the base of the Harmony Paifang Gate in Chinatown on the cnr of Young and Scarborough Streets just near the Southport TAB. The Harmony Gate will be the first of three gates to be built the other two are Wealth and Harvest.

141 - 160 of 398 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.