SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a very sunny and warm today:

Looking across the Marine Lake towards Pleasureland from the new bridge

Lord Street. Probably the best street in the North West.

Random church spire from outside the Post Office

One of the many streetside gardens on Lord Street

Architecture

The Cenotaph

A classic hotel on the seafront

The new bridge from outside Pleasureland

and from on the Pitch and Putt...

Inside one of the columned war memorials on Lord Street

The marine lake and a swan...

·
Fugly
11,569 Posts
Southport is a resting ground for the elderly and a breeding ground for smackhead scum. Note the uplights that were smashed in a baseball bat attack on the first pic.

Have to say though, those are pretty decent shots by Southport standard Accy lad. I spent several drunken hours one night with a couple of mates jumping across the pond in the fourth pic wearing a pair of new Samba Suede. Big mistake. :(

It aint bad to visit I suppose, but you wouldn't want to live there. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The living standards in Southport have always struck me as being very high. You have the huge houses along all those straight avenues and all the big new developments towards Formby and Ainsdale. I suppose it isnt great if you want a big career though.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Last time I was there (about four or five years ago) I walked around quite a lot, and I was surprised by the volume of huge houses. Huge house after huge house - big, good quality late Victorian and Edwardian villas, detatched and semis. In half-decent areas of London each house would be worth more than £1m. But it's a depressing little town, really - no local economy to speak of, and something sad about it. Even when it's sunny and you are trying to be happy, something in Southport drags you down.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Accy, snap on huge houses - but its "quality of life" rather than "standard of living". Wages are low and jobs very hard to find for anyone there who doesnt a) commute to Liverpool or Manchester b) own a business.

·
Registered
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of Southport residents also commute to Preston. Most of my teachers at school live in Soutport.
Here is another thing which dissappoints me:

Ocean Plaza is so unbelievably bad... :(
Even as a retail shed park its pretty lousy.

·
Fugly
11,569 Posts
Even the big mansions and villas you speak of have been diced up and turned into cheap flats and bedsits, like Princes Road in Toxteth. The only truly wealthy bit up there is the drag between Birkdale and Hillside.

·
Liverpool, England.
13,533 Posts
English seaside resorts have not done that marvellously over the past few decades and Southport is definitely not the place it would have been back in the 50s but I still think it is an attractive town as Accura's photos show. Maybe most of its residents commute to Liverpool or Manchester but hasn't that always been the case - certainly since the Northern Line was electrified in the early part of the last century?

I think that Lord Street and the marine lake are really attractive features but I'm still astonished how they let something as poor as Ocean Plaza be built there.

·
Registered
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bustcapl said:
southport is good for a day out but not much else!
Must disagree there! Southport, unlike a lot of UK towns and cities (Liverpool and Preston included) isnt jam packed full of the same high street name shops. Most of the shops down Lord Street are very unique in character and you wont find them anywhere else in the country. Both Liverpool's and Preston's main shopping areas have this problem where its just FCUK, JD Sports blah blah...

BTW, nice pub dave :)

·
Fugly
11,569 Posts
Lets see, Chapel Street has Dixons, Toni & Guy, Wallis, Woolworths, Boots, M&S, Game, Littlewoods, Phones 4 U, Costa lot for Coffee, Specsavers, Orange, O2, Vodafone, Carphone Shithouse, Clintons Cards, Adams, MK1, Topshop/Topman, Burton, Dot Perkins, BHS, River Island, HMV, Clarks. JD Sports couldn't hack it and left.

Eastbank Street, Blacks, McDonalds, Subway, KFC, MVC, Global Video, Oasis, the arse of TK Maxx.

Lord Street, Argos, Wetherspoons, B&M, Yates', Edinburgh Woolen Mill. Bon Marche, The Works, Sayers, Roseby's, Pizza Hut, Waterstones, the arse of Woolworths, Debenhams, Etam, K Shoes, Marie Curie, Help the Aged, John Duncans, Next, Julian Graves dried fruit and healthy crap emporium.

Seems jam packed full of the same high street shops to me Accy. Shopping in Southport is overrated. True, there are the odd independent shops and designer fashion boutiques there, but the same can be said about pretty much every other large town or city in the UK. :)

:cheers:

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Bunnyman said:
Lets see, Chapel Street has Dixons, Toni & Guy, Wallis, Woolworths, Boots, M&S, Game, Littlewoods, Phones 4 U, Costa lot for Coffee, Specsavers, Orange, O2, Vodafone, Carphone Shithouse, Clintons Cards, Adams, MK1, Topshop/Topman, Burton, Dot Perkins, BHS, River Island, HMV, Clarks. JD Sports couldn't hack it and left.

Eastbank Street, Blacks, McDonalds, Subway, KFC, MVC, Global Video, Oasis, the arse of TK Maxx.

Lord Street, Argos, Wetherspoons, B&M, Yates', Edinburgh Woolen Mill. Bon Marche, The Works, Sayers, Roseby's, Pizza Hut, Waterstones, the arse of Woolworths, Debenhams, Etam, K Shoes, Marie Curie, Help the Aged, John Duncans, Next, Julian Graves dried fruit and healthy crap emporium.

Seems jam packed full of the same high street shops to me Accy. Shopping in Southport is overrated. True, there are the odd independent shops and designer fashion boutiques there, but the same can be said about pretty much every other large town or city in the UK. :) :cheers:

:cheers:
Mark, you're a right miserable bugger this A.M. Long may it continue :) :cheers:

1 - 20 of 451 Posts