SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2936 Posts

·
Second Citizen
16,832 Posts
Thanks for the pic Foxy - I don't get to catch up on some things as often as I'd like.

I hope Latitude gets underway soon, and the Armouries are redesigned because this area looks as if it will develop a lot of character.

One thing I'd like to see though is the pedestrianisation of Hurst St between Hidden and Thorp St. There is no need for access, and this will cut out a lot of through traffic.

·
14,314 Posts
well in the questionnaire re the redevelopment fo the gay villages, it was these sort of questions being asked, i suggested pedestrianisation and tree planting to make the area more pleasent on a human level. at the moment, the only part i actualy like being is the tiny bit of pedestrianised area by the hippodrome.... i thing this nees to extend down along southside... maybe keep that road which enters the arcadian, but then further pedestrianisation along hurst street and essex street! give this area a real village feel and opne thing id like to see in this area, is a covering of fairlights... either xmas or perminant... these types of lighting can be very cheap with lowvoltage lighting but very effective in giving and area a very classy feel!

·
14,314 Posts
i so expected that remark off someone but you bio!?!?!?!?!? its my expectations that have been shattered..... i thoguht even for your sense of humur, that would have been too easy...apparently not :(

·
London Based
1,281 Posts
Haha i think we should launch our our political party - everyone else seems to be!

Has the old 'Prague' re-opened since it was arsoned a while back?

·
Registered
20,705 Posts
BIRMINGHAM GAY PRIDE 2007

Is everybody looking forward to this years gay pride? I know its a gay festivel but anybody can go and party, This is Birmingham where everyone is welcome to have a drink and a dance, so party frocks on:cheers: Happy Pride 2007, hope the sun shines

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
Well its better than last years pay £10 and the money goes to charity, except they made a loss.

Its weird this year as all posters are only advertising the free arts part of pride on sunday 27th. I only found out all the information about it in copy of Pink Paper when I was in London yesterday.

It should be good atmosphere, weather permitting.

It does raise interesting point linked to area and council's idea on a Gay Village. Parkinson report said need to do something about highlighting village and yet the councils support of pride seems to have been in name rather than real support again.

Just think what we could do with sporting facilities we got. Manchester got Pride Games on and I know there is a Gay Games an olympic's type event. If we had a council more active in representing other groups then with sporting facilities we could host the gay games and other festivals.

I must say I think the future could be very optimistic with the area having a spruce up, the markets potentially opening up easier links to bullring and Digbeth. Really would be a city of villages and the gay village would the brightest and loudest of all :banana:
hehe
just not too much pink though ;)

·
Registered
20,705 Posts
I personally feel that in a couple of years from now, when all the new developments are finished in and around hurst street, this part of the city centre will be fantastic. What they really really need to do next is make the lower part of hurst street pedestrinised(sorry for spelling) so that the new retail units on the ground floor can open up onto the streets so that it makes it a continental european feeling like canal street in manchester.

1 - 20 of 2936 Posts