Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my recent trip to Melbourne I also visited a friend in Ballarat and she showed me around the town including Sovereign Hill. Also went with another friend from Melbourne

Sovereign Hill is a theme park that attempts to recreate life in the Victorian Goldfields during the 1850's. A must do if you are visiting Ballarat or if in Melbourne looking for a daytrip outside the city. :)

Some photos appear dusty because it was very windy the day I went and there was alot of dust blowing around

The main street

Charles Spencer, Confectioner

Hope Bakery

My friend and I made some Candles here

Inside

This is how the miners lived in the 1850's.

Panning for gold

View from the shaft over the town

·
Registered
982 Posts
Sorry I missed Sovereighn Hill when I was in Ballarat a couple of years ago but I loved Ballarat. It is a real gem. I saw my first "live" roo there also, in a place called Canadian. Up until then, all the roos I'd spotted were road kill.

·
Registered
78,049 Posts
sydney had an old theme park called "old Sydney town". it was near Gosford. not sure what ever happned to it?
Sovereign hill looks cool. love the chimney

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for this set! I have to visit it one day since it looks awesome. I remember when I was in Melbourne and saw a travel advert on Victoria; Sovereign Hill was included. It actually almost reminds me of old Sydney town also which I once visited on an excursion (and fell in the mud also when I tried to chase a bird (don't ask) - my uniform was covered in mud and I wanted to go back home :p).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry I missed Sovereighn Hill when I was in Ballarat a couple of years ago but I loved Ballarat. It is a real gem. I saw my first "live" roo there also, in a place called Canadian. Up until then, all the roos I'd spotted were road kill.
You did well to see a Kangaroo in Canadian. It's an inner suberb of Ballarat, so to see a Roo in Canadian is a pretty rare thing.

I grew up in Ballarat and spent the first 18 years of my life (currently 21) living pretty much right next door to Sovereign Hill. I think I went there every year for school. The Gold Museum across the road is also pretty good.

I remember spending 3 days at Sov. Hill in 1996 when I was Grade 6. We had to go there every day, get dressed up in 1850s clothing and attend one of the schools there. It was certainly a different experience.

Glad to see people enjoyed Ballarat. For those who remember Lake Wendouree (1956 Olympic Rowing Course), and a bit of an update..it is now 100% dry! Absolutely no water in it at all.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My friend told me that she did the same thing having to go to school for two days there one year, and all the lessons were taught in 1850's style including learning your 16x multiplication. She always went on school excursions there.

I was also told that Lake Wendouree was also used for the 2006 Commonwealth games for rowing. It was sad to see the state of the lake but that belongs in another thread. I still have to post general shots that I took.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend told me that she did the same thing having to go to school for two days there one year, and all the lessons were taught in 1850's style including learning your 16x multiplication. She always went on school excursions there.

I
I got a second chance to go over the summer with a few folks from uni. :)

The 1850's classroom!!! Kids were nominated by the teacher to answer questions and they had to stand up. They also had to wear period costume.

Inside an 1850's house

Gotta love the renactments

Try your luck folks...

Very tough living on the Goldfields

1 - 12 of 12 Posts