Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked to visually explore the concept of a Spaceport on the site of the current Liverpool airport. The proposal is to make Liverpool the epicenter of £40bn a year industry (£400bn globally) within 15 years.

The following visuals will be displayed on Wednesday 9th July at The Hope Street Hotel at 7.30pm for a free presentation.

Imagine; Liverpool to Beijing in two hours.

Imagine; Liverpool being the gateway to Europe, to the entire planet and to worlds beyond.

Imagine...

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
woww, lets start a collection

·
Registered
11,941 Posts

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
double post. Sorry

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
The proposal is to make Liverpool the epicenter of £40bn a year industry (£400bn globally) within 15 years.
But this is at odds with what I have been advised is Peel's plans. I have it on good authority that Peel's plans for the airport's expansion is on a 20-30 year time frame. i.e. When MAN reaches it's capacity and can no longer expand on it's present footprint. The logic being that it will be politically easier to displace a few hundred migratory birds which occupy the site for a couple of weeks, spring and fall, than to bulldoze whole communities and pave over productive, arable land.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But this is at odds with what I have been advised is Peel's plans. I have it on good authority that Peel's plans for the airport's expansion is on a 20-30 year time frame. i.e. When MAN reaches it's capacity and can no longer expand on it's present footprint. The logic being that it will be politically easier to displace a few hundred migratory birds which occupy the site for a couple of weeks, spring and fall, than to bulldoze whole communities and pave over productive, arable land.
The second part I don't really understand and why should Liverpool wait even more decades for decent international links?

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
The second part I don't really understand and why should Liverpool wait even more decades for decent international links?
Why indeed? However, I am sure they (Peel) will, in the interim, be trying to attract international carriers to LPL but will, likely, only reach it's full potential when MAN has reached it's capacity. The alternatives all favour Liverpool at it's present location. Being a regular user of London's airports, especially Heathrow, I can see the gyrations being performed in trying to keep LHR from becoming totally gridlocked. The constant tinkering with terminals does not alter the fact that a new, unencumbered, site is needed for London's air traffic needs. The foregoing is the history, worldwide, of this industry and why should any airport be different? Peel know they are sitting on a potential gold mine and, just like with Liverpool/Wirral Waters, is prepared to wait the 25-30 years to realise the full potential of their investment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm no expert on Spaceports, but wouldn't they need a remote location with very quiet airspace? The airspace around Liverpool is extremely busy with Liverpool, Manchester and Hawarden in very close proximity. It's also surrounded by airways. I don't see how it would ever work.

It's a shame though as it's a nice idea, it would be amazing, imagine Liverpool Spaceport! The images are fantastic.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I'm no expert on Spaceports, but wouldn't they need a remote location with very quiet airspace? The airspace around Liverpool is extremely busy with Liverpool, Manchester and Hawarden in very close proximity. It's also surrounded by airways. I don't see how it would ever work.

It's a shame though as it's a nice idea, it would be amazing, imagine Liverpool Spaceport! The images are fantastic.
Yes, I could get the bus to Speke and go to Mars.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts