Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so more an idea than a real concept that is actually out there and being discussed, but I think at some point this will be looked at as a way of bringing life to Docklands.

I am talking about the idea of decking over the railyards adjoining Southern Cross Station to the north and creating a new public square for Melbourne, perhaps titled after the old station name, Spencer Square.

We already have the basis for a great square with some great buildings in the area including Channel 9, 720 Bourke and the NAB building. It just needs the DFO stores to be redeveloped and perhaps a cultural building or two on the northern edge of the square.

It would be a fantastic meeting place and entrance to Docklands, on your way to the footy or meeting friends. It makes sense as well if the Skybus or Airport Rail would come to Southern Cross along with interstate rail etc.

Thoughts? Will it happen? I would think this should be ahead of plans to deck over Fed Sq East given the way the city is heading. A sample of what is there at the moment:

Get rid of that horrid "fence" and awning:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
699 Bourke St could do with an LCD screen.

Dundas Square in Toronto: one way to tackle the old DFO, plaster it with LCD screens and neon.

·
Colin Hutson
33 Posts
I love Dundas Square.

I lived in Toronto for a while and it really is a dynamic space. It felt like a mini Times Square and I instantly wished we had one in Melbourne.

It would really help connect the CBD with Docklands.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Wow. I had no idea that existed!
Either did I. Looks good.

Spencer Square has certainly been an idea I have liked for a while, given its location would be a huge bonus for connecting the CBD to Docklands.

The best chance for this to have happened was when the former DFO was sold, given that most of those shops were empty, but now have been refreshed with the re-launch of the centre. That blank concrete wall is a big barrier to such a plan occurring, along with the $$ to build it :)

The other factor that needs to be considered is how the MRL station and associated infrastructure construction will fit into the precinct. Once that has been determined, then lets hope this kind of development does occur.

Some green space, an attraction (ie. Galley, Museum) and a few shops and cafes that open out onto the square would potentially be a huge step in the right direction.

·
Train Spotter
213 Posts
Man I wish it was NNO1 who started this thread instead. I thought this was a legit proposal for the area and was all excited before opening the page.

On another note, whatever happened to "this is our times square" lol?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
On another note, whatever happened to "this is our times square" lol?
The idea seems to go nowhere fast.

The corner of Collins and Bourke, or BoCo as someone called it a while ago, is now a park and residential buildings, which doesn't translate well to making happy residents with bright lights interrupting their nights :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Either did I. Looks good.

Spencer Square has certainly been an idea I have liked for a while, given its location would be a huge bonus for connecting the CBD to Docklands.

The best chance for this to have happened was when the former DFO was sold, given that most of those shops were empty, but now have been refreshed with the re-launch of the centre. That blank concrete wall is a big barrier to such a plan occurring, along with the $$ to build it :)

The other factor that needs to be considered is how the MRL station and associated infrastructure construction will fit into the precinct. Once that has been determined, then lets hope this kind of development does occur.

Some green space, an attraction (ie. Galley, Museum) and a few shops and cafes that open out onto the square would potentially be a huge step in the right direction.
I don´t think its a barrier to "Spencer Square", its a catch 22 situation. It IS a blank wall, because there is nothing on that side except tracks. If the Govt were to announce a plan to deck that area and call for tenders for 1/2 public buildings on the north side, someone will surely look at redeveloping it.

I would love for it to become a Tokyo style Electronic Market complete with global headline brand stores from Apple, Samsung, Sega, Nintendo etc...Neon lights and LCD screens facing out into the new square.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol. i did the exact same thing!
Ha ha, sorry! But I searched for it and thought that there would of been some actual real proposal somewhere for it but found nothing.

It seems like a prime spot to build a square and a greater priority than Fed Sq East which has had a lot of press/attention. Nothing wrong with putting the idea out there IMO, it seems a lot of influential people read this forum so perhaps the idea will stick in someone´s head and gain legs.

Docklands needs it so much also!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Ha ha, sorry! But I searched for it and thought that there would of been some actual real proposal somewhere for it but found nothing.

It seems like a prime spot to build a square and a greater priority than Fed Sq East which has had a lot of press/attention. Nothing wrong with putting the idea out there IMO, it seems a lot of influential people read this forum so perhaps the idea will stick in someone´s head and gain legs.

Docklands needs it so much also!
I agree that it would appear to be a bigger priority than Fed Square East / Jolimont Railyards, especially if MRL does go via SXS. The strategic value of the area will likely further increase as it becomes an even more important focus on the network.

Bridging what is considered to be a major barrier to making Docklands feel more of a natural extension to the CBD would be a great move.

Wouldn't expect it for some time to come though :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I work in 717 Bourke, or at least I did up until yesterday (Left Channel 9 after 2 years) and I've always thought that eventually the train lines will be built over. That's just too much prime space to waste.

There are a few drawbacks though. Firstly the square would be raised and not at ground level. Secondly the wind situation. Docklands is already wind swept, on a bad day the wind would be awful in a square.

They should have just sunken the train lines when they built Southern Cross and let Bourke Street continue into Docklands IMO.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
Wind is shockin'...means the air is clean again, but a relative term in the scheme of things...all the climate change freaks know doom is near...mark my words...the end is nigh !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts