SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1596 Posts

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Actually with this nobody knows for sure- A lot of unconfirmed speculation. Didn't somebody say they were just waiting fro vacant possesion of the site- Barclays moved out months ago but not sure about the rest of the building.

For all we know this could be starting tomorrow..or next year...or never.

At the very worst even if this was cancelled & the site sold there is planning permission to build a tall tower here so whoever owns the site should be able to get planning permission for another new scheme- Just means we would have to wait a few years...as usual ..lol

·
Registered
24,741 Posts
Completely unrelated but what city is that in today's banner? In a weird way if you squint I reckon you could mistake it for the City with Canary Wharf over on the right in the distance.

I've been thinking about the long term future of Canary Wharf recently. I honestly think in twenty years or so the Bank Street towers will be demolished and something taller and elegant built there.

I know Canary Wharf has height limits, but it really needs to get away from the horizontal 'block' that is starting to appear on the flat skyline. It will make a coherent cluster, but could, in fifty years time or so, be nothing more than an ageing business district that will be positively dull compared to the City.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The banner is Singapore.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No! This building will go up, but not anytime soon. It needs to be complete by 2012-15 because thats when london is expecting a ''boom'' in its overall demand. Many developers, especially australian ones, are looking to bid for a property and ''build up'' because they kno that London's demand is recovering at its highest rate in four years. Every year after 2006 London's residential demand will rise 30,000 per an.. at present its 26,000 per year. and by 2015, as we've discoverd, some 90m sq ft will be needed for office space. So, if the developer acts logically, he'll realise that the best strategy will be to do the building in time for the games. Any time sooner, the building will be under threat of being empty, making its daily expenditure up to £30-45'000 out of the developers budget..........not good!

·
1,173 Posts
Gothic has hit the nail on the head.

In 2/3 years time....

LBT will start
Bishopsgate/Minerva/Heron/122 Leadenhall

In 2000/1 thats when HSBC, Citigroup and the 3 Bank Street towers all started breaking ground.

Even if only these 5 get built London will have an amazing skyline. There's more to cities than skyscrapers believe it or not. And London with these will look absolutely amazing.

Anyway, 2 1000 foot towers by 2012 was beyond our wildest dreams on this site 4-5 years ago.

I don't care how many towers London has... all I care about is whether they are any good. All of these designs are superb so fear not. We'll just have to be patient.

·
37,153 Posts
youre forgetting swiss re dom. people arent aware of this because they probably dont remember but there was a big wait between seeing those towers start and their original plans being announced and approved. im not overly concerned, everything is coming online now...
lime street, 1 millharbour and ontario tower were all proposed in late 2001 early 2002.

·
Registered
24,741 Posts
clarky said:
When the London 2012 olympics marathon is taking place London will look like a construction site with half built scrapers.Pathetic!
Just about the only reason I didn't want London to win - I knew full well we'd have a skyline of cranes and cores come 2012 - something which, for once, is not a good thing.

To use the excuse 'well it shows London is an ever changing city' is a pathetic excuse - those 3 weeks in 2012 is the one chance London has to show itself off to the world and make people see how modern, efficient and 'complete' London is. Showing a skyline of building sites, concrete cores and unfinished cladding will just make people go 'ooh dear, ran out of time on that didn't they! Silly Brits, always getting things done late aren't they!'

I know you can't stop progress, but I would seriously put some incentive towards companies having their skyscrapers finished or at least dressed attractively in some form for the Games. It's London only chance.

·
Waiting for 122
3,801 Posts
DarJoLe said:
Just about the only reason I didn't want London to win - I knew full well we'd have a skyline of cranes and cores come 2012 - something which, for once, is not a good thing.

To use the excuse 'well it shows London is an ever changing city' is a pathetic excuse - those 3 weeks in 2012 is the one chance London has to show itself off to the world and make people see how modern, efficient and 'complete' London is. Showing a skyline of building sites, concrete cores and unfinished cladding will just make people go 'ooh dear, ran out of time on that didn't they! Silly Brits, always getting things done late aren't they!'

I know you can't stop progress, but I would seriously put some incentive towards companies having their skyscrapers finished or at least dressed attractively in some form for the Games. It's London only chance.
You don't build Skyscrapers for Olympics. You build stadiums and transportation links. London as it is now would still host a fantastic games.

1 - 20 of 1596 Posts