putting up Auroras spire

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
From The Age
By Chris Beck

The Melbourne Arts Centre Spire

Designer: Sir Roy Grounds

Facts: As with a church steeple or spire, the purpose of the Arts Centre Spire is symbolic, providing a visual feature and signpost for the entire complex.
Sir Roy Grounds’ 115-metre space frame design included spectacular gold webbing around its lower section, stimulating the folds of a ballerina’s tutu. As a result of increasing structural deterioration of the original upper spire structure, with cracks discovered in four of its 12 largest stainless steel nodes, the centre trust’s engineering advisers recommended the upper spire be replaced.
Completed on January12, 1996, the new spire reaches 162 metres above St Kilda Road with a 10-metre mast at its peak.
The spire, with the capacity to create images that will glow, sparkle and twinkle, has 6600 metres of fibre optic tubing, 17,700 metres of power and control cables, 14,000 incandescent lamps, 150 metres of neon tubing on the mast alone, 496 computer control devices to manipulate the colours and movement of the lights, and 900 power and control plugs.

Verdict of Melbourne writer Andrew Masterson: “Forget the Sydney Opera House. The true symbol of Australian performing arts is that tubular, yellow, vaguely Parision, vaguely phallic thing that perches atop our Arts Centre. Far from the jerry-built embarrassment that some are wont to describe, it is, in fact, a carefully blended mix of symbolism that, when seen from the correct perspective, amounts to a triumphant expression of Victorian artistic endeavour.”

Model of copper sheathed spire above.
What we see here is Roy Ground’s soaring copper centerpiece as it was meant to be and below, the poster used to promote donations for it.

Below is the truncated version of the spire that was erected in the 1980s.

How it looks today.

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
It's shit we never got the original Roy Grounds proposal. It would have gone green by now.
I agree. Always thought it was underwhelming and had a tacky sort of late-70s feel to it. It's also very unfriendly and disoriented to the street. I think saying it's a better symbol than the Opera House is more than a stretch, it's a delusion.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I agree. Always thought it was underwhelming and had a tacky sort of late-70s feel to it. It's also very unfriendly and disoriented to the street. I think saying it's a better symbol than the Opera House is more than a stretch, it's a delusion.
Well of course its a delusion... but the Roy Grounds' copper clad spire would have truly been more of an Australian icon than the curren spire.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Pfft. The current arts spire is perfect. Only thing wrong now is the monster blocking the view of it. I wouldn't have liked the copper one much at all.

the 1980's one was horrible.

·
Registered
76,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3RD friggen time ive posted these
century tower

the 140m high wind turbine planned for 40storey units on george st about to start

the 152m spire of sydney central

·
Registered
539 Posts
One of my favourite spires is the one on the Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church in Annandale, Sydney. At 56 metres, it was the tallest church spire in NSW for 111 years, until St Mary's Cathedral finally completed its twin spires (70 metres) in the year 2000.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I remember being in Sydney when they were (hoisted, I think? There was a crane) put there in about '98. They were steel. I remember finding it strange seeing such an old building being built in a modern era like that.

The same needs to be done for Victorian Parliament House, it's dome (along with some portions of the building) were never completed. Except in this case I think something like Norman Foster's Reichstag dome in Berlin would look amazing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^^

Yes, it did look strange at the time. Also, for several years afterwards (and even now to some extent) the contrast between the old sandstone, darkened by years of soot and grime, and the new spires, still relatively clean, is rather jarring.

·
Registered
76,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the Hunter baillie church is a real gem. Architect Edmund blacket sons designed the church and wanted a landmark, instead of "normal" 45m/150ft spire, they increased spire to 182ft/56m high to give it a landmark status.
the 32m (total74m) twin spires of st marys cathedral were constructed in year2000.
I was there ALL day on June25, 2000, when large russian helicopter placed the sections of the 12tonne spires.the 650 stones were then placed around the steel over next few months.The cathedral was finally blessed on Aug20, 2000 by Cardinal Canalini after 135 years of construction.
The stone under the spires which belong to the 40m towers have recently been restored and look same new colour as spires!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
^^^ Ahh, now I remember. A chopper, not a crane!

I didn't actually see it happen, but I was in the area shortly afterwards because I remember the crowd in Hyde Park. :)

·
Registered
76,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
both spires frames were put up in 5 sections. there were 4 guys up there bolting them toghther. i was there from 8am-5pm. long day.
heres some photos i took in 2000, i was lucky enough to be invited up the lift to see spires up close.

i remember the lifts were really slow. took 15mins to get to top.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts