SkyscraperCity banner

Would the sponsorship scandal create another Quebec seperation referendum?

• YES, but the referendum vote would not have enough votes to split Quebec from Canada.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • YES, but there would not be enough votes to split Quebec from Canada.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • NO.

Votes: 15 55.6%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very fearful that we Canadians are heading toward a dark age and possibly, the end of our very fragile nation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

PM risked Canada: Gagliano
Predicts separation

Jack Aubry
CanWest News Service

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

CREDIT: Montreal Gazette, Dave Sidaways
Alfonso Gagliano

OTTAWA - Alfonso Gagliano is predicting the end of Canada after Quebec separatists win the next referendum in the province -- and he says the country will have Paul Martin and his inquiry to blame.

In a telephone interview from Florida, the former Chretien Cabinet minister and Quebec lieutenant called Mr. Martin and his election team "a bunch of amateurs" in last year's election and suggested that Transport Minister Jean Lapierre may have acted improperly as a lobbyist before returning to federal politics in 2004.

Mr. Gagliano said Mr. Martin has badly damaged the Liberal party in Quebec and predicts the Bloc Quebecois will "sweep" the province's 75 seats in an upcoming election. He says the separatist party's big win will boost the fortunes of the Parti Quebecois.

"The next provincial election, unless there is a miracle, the PQ will win and they will call a referendum right away," Mr. Gagliano said. "And 'goodbye Canada.' This is the end, thanks to Paul Martin's leadership."

Mr. Gagliano, who was Mr. Chretien's Quebec political lieutenant for the 1997 and 2000 election campaigns, said he was "much more successful" in the province than Mr. Martin and Mr. Lapierre last year.

"I don't have to take any lessons from Paul Martin and Jean Lapierre. They were running a campaign like a bunch of amateurs," Mr. Gagliano said.

He said Mr. Lapierre is infamous for his "short fuse" and made numerous ill-considered statements during the campaign that hurt his party's chances. Calling him "opportunistic," he said the former Bloc Quebecois co-founder joined Mr. Martin believing they would sweep the country in last year's election.

"I think the first mistake Paul Martin made was calling the inquiry on his own party. Imagine if there had been a Gomery inquiry into the Mulroney years, or any political party. This is a very politically driven inquiry," said Mr. Gagliano.

He said "it is too late" to turn the Liberal party's fortunes around in Quebec: "The damage has been done for the next 10 years. The Liberal Party of Canada will have a tough time in Quebec. I mean, that is the only federalist party that can face the separatists."

Still bristling from Mr. Lapierre's comments a few weeks ago about "rotten apples" in the Liberal party, Mr. Gagliano recalled Mr. Lapierre, a consultant to several businesses at the time, approaching him when he was minister of Public Works, asking him to meet "a friend."

Accompanied by Mr.Lapierre, Mr. Gagliano said he met with Francois Dufort of Cossette Communications Group for a presentation on publicity services and only found out later that Mr. Lapierre was a lobbyist for the firm.

"If I'd known he was a lobbyist, I definitely wouldn't have gone," he said, adding that Mr. Lapierre had "in a sense" misrepresented himself.

"I am not settling accounts. I was asked about it and that's what happened," he said.

Cossette Communications has since landed the lucrative federal contract for placing ads for the government.

When asked about adman Claude Boulay's relationship with Mr. Martin, an issue that has dominated Question Period the past week, Mr. Gagliano said the pair first came together in 1990 in the leadership campaign.

He said Mr. Boulay also worked on Mr. Martin's LaSalle-Emard riding campaign in the 1993 election, and the pair both own properties in the same area of the Eastern Townships of Quebec. But he backed away from saying they were more than acquaintances: "I don't know really. What I know is the business side. I don't know the personal side."

© National Post 2005

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Gagliano's talking mostly garbage. There will be another referendum, but you can thank Charest for that, not the sponsorship scandal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Answer no 1: Yes referendum, No separation
Answer no 2: Yes referedum, No separation
Answer no 3: No referendum, No separation

None of the three answers are about what Gagliano is musing about. Try to keep your questions and answers short, or we'll need another clarity act on poll questions. :nuts:

·
Welcome to the Rail World
4,671 Posts
salvius said:
Gagliano's talking mostly garbage. There will be another referendum, but you can thank Charest for that, not the sponsorship scandal.
This is true, which is sad, because I had hopes for that man when he first took office as a Liberal. What a P.o.S.
We've got McGuinty as the only smart Liberal now - because he's turned against them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really fear that there will be a referendum coming up because of sponsorship. The Liberals have equated federalism with corruption and managed to revitalize a moribund Bloc Quebecois in the process. Unless Charest manages to gain a TON of public support in the next two years, the next Quebec gov't will be a PQ gov't and it will call a referendum.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So they'll seperate, so what? They'll be forced to either return to Canada, or to join the U.S., where their language rights would be all but obliterated.

Give them a referendum, at least it would end all the special treatment of Quebec once they realize they can't survive economically with a Canadian embargo on their trade.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What the heck are you talking about boiiiii ? Are you wishing an embargo upon us ? You seem to have some hostile feelings towards Québec and our culture...

Anyways, first of all I dont have much trust for whatever Gagliano has to say. Also, this hole scandal thing is being somewhat blown out of proportion in that it is not breaking news that politicians are dishonest thieves, whatever party they represent. This being said, the sponsership scandal is definitely fueling the separitist movement in Quebec, altought probably not as much as Charrue Charest (as stated by others). I think there will be another referedum, as for the outcome, your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I love Quebec I would hate it if they separated. I dont think this Liberal scandel has much to do with Quebec, I agree with what the leader of the Bloc said its a Liberal scandel that happend in Quebec. The liberals will get there asses handed to them in the upcoming election.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Lp_Verdun said:
What the heck are you talking about boiiiii ? Are you wishing an embargo upon us ? You seem to have some hostile feelings towards Québec and our culture...
I have nothing against Quebec and their culture, I just think they should be treated like all other cultures in this country, not put on some pedestal. French and English are our official languages, not our official cultures.

Another thing, after Quebec has been taking our equalization payments for who knows how long, I believe there should be some retaliation if you guys cut and run. Then again, when you guys realize you can't have cheap daycare, well maintained roads, premium quality of education, etc. without the help of equalization, that might be punishment enough.

·
Banned
229 Posts
I think the biggest scandal is that nobody in Quebec will say out loud
that the bloc is a racist party.
Only a racist or the truly ignorant would vote for the bloc.

The conservative party was the birthplace of many a slimily separatist.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sk8rboiiii said:
I have nothing against Quebec and their culture, I just think they should be treated like all other cultures in this country, not put on some pedestal. French and English are our official languages, not our official cultures.

Another thing, after Quebec has been taking our equalization payments for who knows how long, I believe there should be some retaliation if you guys cut and run. Then again, when you guys realize you can't have cheap daycare, well maintained roads, premium quality of education, etc. without the help of equalization, that might be punishment enough.
Whatever. Most of your ridiculous statements seem to be wishfull thinking more than anything else, and obviously you wish nothing positive upon us.

·
Registered
676 Posts
MisterPing said:
I think the biggest scandal is that nobody in Quebec will say out loud
that the bloc is a racist party.
Only a racist or the truly ignorant would vote for the bloc.
I don't think they're a racist party. They are a party of bigots, however. They think that they as a group are better and deserve preferential treatment over everybody else.

·
Banned
229 Posts
The so called “money and the ethnic vote”
will want Montreal to stay Canadian.
The Cree and Mohawks will want to stay Canadian.
A separated Quebec will be even smaller.

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
It ain't gonna happen. The sponsorship scandal isn't that big of an issue to push people off the edge. If Québec is divisible from Canada, some parts of Québer are divisible too (parts of Montreal, Outaouais, the North, the St. Lawrence Seaway).

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
Yeah, I honestly don't think that Quebec will seperate. EVER.
It's not in the best interest of the people.
Only the radicals want to seperate.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have actual heard that the sponsership scandel has talk in Quebec of seperation/referndum, though, its from a very unrealible person that told me.

But its funny if it actually is true. Quebec, pissed that Ontario and Albertan money is getting mispent. It would be sure seperation if Quebec was actually a net transferer in equalization.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The sponsorship scandal as a result of a corrupt federal Liberal government means should there be another referendum, there's no one to defend Canada and especially the Liberals. The Liberal's brand is shit and no maple leaf love-ins in Montreal will help sway Quebecers to Canada's side next time.

·
Banned
229 Posts
The bloc or any other A-HOLE who refers to my flag
as a red rag can kiss my ass.

Not even flesh-eating disease can stomach a whole separatist!

·
Registered
318 Posts
There was a short blurb about this on CNN.
Can someone please explain to me the bolded line:

---------------------------

OTTAWA, Canada (Reuters) -- A majority of voters in French-speaking Quebec back sovereignty for the province, the highest level for more than seven years, according to an opinion poll released on Wednesday.

The Leger Marketing poll for the Globe and Mail newspaper said 54 percent of people in Quebec said they would back sovereignty in a referendum, reflecting deep anger about allegations of federal government corruption.

But asked if a vote for sovereignty still meant that they wanted Quebec to be part of Canada, 56 percent of respondents said yes and 40 percent said no, the Globe said.

Quebecers voted against sovereignty by the narrowest of majorities in an October 1995 referendum.

Officials from the separatist Parti Quebecois, in government in the province at the time, said later they had been prepared to declare Quebec independent if they had won the vote.

The federal Liberal government responded to the result of the referendum by setting up a program to increase Ottawa's presence in the province.

But the program was deeply flawed, and last year an official report into the program said C$100 million in public money had been funneled to Liberal-friendly firms, often for little or no work.

In recent weeks a public inquiry into the scandal has heard allegations that Liberals in Quebec demanded kickbacks from firms in return for advertising contracts, and the revelations have crushed support for the Liberals in the province.

The Leger survey also showed that 76 percent of Quebec voters felt betrayed by federal government actions after the 1995 referendum.

Leger surveyed 1,008 people in Quebec between April 24 and 27 and its poll is considered to be accurate within 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Previous polls in the past year put support for sovereignty at between 44 percent and 49 percent.

-----------------------

So let me get this straight. Quebec wants to seperate but still be part of Canada? I don't get it. What, use Canadian money, passport, trade agreements?

Ottawa hands Quebec something like $13 billion a year in equalization payments. How the hell would they make up that shortfall without taxing the people and running in ever greater debt?

Honestly, I'm sick of hearing about this. If they want to go, go. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. Get your own money, national defence, passports, renegotiate trade agreements etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts