Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1765 Posts

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right ya bams! I'm starting a Glasgow sports thread. This city is sports mad and a great sporting city. This thread is long overdue! Discuss all sport in the city, Old Firm included. I dont give a **** if the usual suspects moan and groan either - I like ma sports!

Buchanan: No other Scot will join me in Hall of Fame

Ken Buchanan, the former lightweight world champion, does not expect to have the privilege of welcoming another Scot to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in New York during his lifetime.

"I was inducted in 2000 as the first living British fighter to be so honoured and I cannot see any of my countrymen following in my footsteps, not in a million years," said the outspoken Buchanan. His comment is likely to rile Alex Arthur, the most successful boxer to emerge from Edinburgh since the halcyon days of the self-styled Tartan Legend's reign in the early 1970s.

However, Buchanan made no apology for expressing the view yesterday at the launch of Setanta Sports' coverage of this weekend's International Boxing Organisation's world light-welterweight title bout featuring Ricky Hatton and Jose Castillo in Las Vegas. Indeed, Buchanan seriously questioned whether super-featherweight Arthur will eventually fulfil his glittering potential after claiming: "Alex should have been fighting for world titles by now.

"I cannot understand why he chose to give up his British, Commonwealth and European titles. It just does not make any sort of sense, given that he did not do so in exchange for a world title shot.

"Frankly, I think Alex was daft to do so without the guarantee of something bigger because everybody wants to fight the champion. Alex is 29 later this month and while he is not too old to win a world title, I was 25 when I became champion and it gets progressively harder as the years roll on.

"The biggest problem is shifting the pounds and Alex maybe walks around at two stone above his fighting weight when he is not in training. That is stupid, in my view, because boxers should fight at a natural weight. Given the weight issue, I believe Alex should have moved up to lightweight at least because I think he would have become a champion in the division. He would have been a lot stronger and he would have also thrown more punches instead of posing quite so much."

Buchanan, who doubts that Arthur's forthcoming bout with Georgian Koba Gogoladze in Cardiff next month for the World Boxing Organisation's interim world title means very much, also espoused the view that the boxer has made the mistake of constantly changing handlers.

"Alex has had far too many trainers," said Buchanan. "He should have stuck with the one guy, Owen Smith, instead of just dismissing him, and I believe that not having a settled training regime has cost him. I did expect Alex's progress to be much greater."

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How much longer for Boruc at the celic?

Boruc fancies ‘a better club’

by Thomas Jordan

ARTUR BORUC has again called into doubt his long-term commitment to Celtic.

The Polish goalkeeper has repeated his desire to join "a better club". But, while he suggested in a Polish newspaper he would welcome interest from leading clubs, he also says he is happy with life at Celtic.

Celtic are keen to tie him to a longer deal, but his latest comments appear to suggest he doesn't see himself in the SPL for the rest of his career.

Boruc, who has been linked with the Premiership and Serie A, has become a massive favourite after helping the club to four trophies in two years.

Boruc at the Celic?He was relatively unknown when he arrived from Legia Warsaw, but his displays against Manchester United and AC Milan earned him Euro-wide praise.

He said: "I cannot complain about anything. But if there is a chance to play at a better club, why not?

"All the time I am doing everything to become a better keeper. I'm trying to improve my skills. I can't stop as it would mean moving backwards.

"There are still many challenges in Scotland. The derby matches against Rangers drive the whole league. Only for those games is it worth staying at Celtic.

"Yet we are in the Champions League again. Last time, we managed to get to the last 16. Why shouldn't we make another step forward?"

Certainly, Gordon Strachan won't be making any plans to find a replacement on the back of the comments.

The Celtic boss is confident Boruc will be in place next season, as the SPL champions aren't interested inlistening to offers.

But Strachan will be hoping to get Thomas Gravesen out the door, and a reported bid from Sheffield United would be encouraged.

United boss Bryan Robson wants the Danish midfielder to spearhead his side's bid to return to the Premiership and could be willing to match Celtic's £2m valuation.

But Gravesen's £40,000-a-week wages could put off United, as well as various other sides who have registered an interest.

United are also believed to be keen on Craig Beattie, who is also being tracked by championship rivals West Brom.

The striker realises he has to quit Parkhead to play regular first-team football after Strachan signed Scott McDonald and Chris Killen.

West Brom boss Tony Mowbray looks the front-runner, as Beattie believes they offer the best chance of taking him to the Premiership.

As well as Sheffield United, Cardiff City and Ipswich Town are also keen on the Scotland international and Celtic are hoping the posse of clubs could bank them as much as £1m for the 23-year-old.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats a blog like?

·
Izzle Bizzle
1,512 Posts
OK - that's not very helpful of me - sorry. A blog is like an online diary. Check out www.blogspot.com or www.livejournal.com if you want to know more. Or you could just Google it.

Oops - should also have said 'blog' short for 'weblog'. God I need to get out more...

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers. So instead of talking to myself on this thread, I can talk to myself somewhere else on the net? Wahay!

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Champions League, third round qualifying round.

Celtic v Spartak Moscow

Rangers v Red Star Belgrade

Ouch!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That's assuming Rangers get through against Zeta and after their incredibly inept performance this week, thats no sure thing. Red Star Belgrade should be beatable; all the best serbian players play in Italy or Spain now. Don't fancy being in Celtic's shoes, Russian teams have got loads of cash these days and quite often have quite brilliant brazilians who you've never heard of but who, nonetheless, will eat the likes of Mark Wilson and Gary Caldwell for breakfast.

Also, I see Shaun Maloney is angling for a move back to paradise. Homesick @ Villa Park apparently. pathetic. what is with Scots players not being able to hack being more than 20 miles away from home?

·
Use your words
4,857 Posts
I'm not certain about that Maloney thing. Sounds like agent talk to me..
Although - if I were a celtic fan, I'd rather have Maloney than Naismith.

Spartak Moscow's record in Europe in recent years is abysmal. They managed something like one win in a couple of campaigns if memory serves correctly. I think Celtic's coefficient is something like three times better than theirs..

Arsenal always seem to get a tough draw, don't they?

·
Registered
989 Posts
id welcome back Maloney with open arms. Hes a quality wee player and can score goals too. If we get him before the Spartak game all the better. Id have him, McGeady, Brown and Naka in the midfield. i'll pass judgement on Donati when the season starts. McDonald and Riordan up front. Big Jan is out of form and doing no-one any favours. At the back, Naylor and McManus for definate... I think we should've signed a decent right back this summer but we didnt even get Joe Doumbe on a full term contract. So Mark Wilson it is... Id play Bobo ahead of Caldwell any day. fucking legend and by far the most entertaining player O'Neil ever signed although that was often to his detriment. I remember a CIS semi final against Dundee Utd when he more or less played upfront... good times :lol: . im not worried about Brown in goal. hes a safe pair of hands.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So Rangers have destroyed Lyon and are favourites to qualify with Barca in the hardest champions League group of all time. Celtic need to beat Milan to keep up our co-efficient, hopefully they wont let us down and play like a bunch of weans again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So Rangers have destroyed Lyon and are favourites to qualify with Barca in the hardest champions League group of all time. Celtic need to beat Milan to keep up our co-efficient, hopefully they wont let us down and play like a bunch of weans again.
If by 3 shots, 3 goals against 25 shots, 0 goals equals destroy then I guess they did.

Celtic- similar story to many Glasgow projects really; you spend paltry sums chances are you'll end up with a shabby product and Gary Caldwell and his defensive cohorts are just that!

·
Use your words
4,857 Posts
2-1 against AC Milan, who only got a goal because of a cheat of a penalty!

Let's keep it nice guys, please none of the Old Firm bitterness.

I realise it's not a Glasgow thing, but how about getting behind the Dons tomorrow!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
If by 3 shots, 3 goals against 25 shots, 0 goals equals destroy then I guess they did.

Celtic- similar story to many Glasgow projects really; you spend paltry sums chances are you'll end up with a shabby product and Gary Caldwell and his defensive cohorts are just that!
Cough-just kidding Gary- goan yersel big man!
Shame the actions of one imbecile could be costly.

Milton- I'll be right behind the sheep tomorrow night!!

·
5,957 Posts
Wow indeed what a week for Scottish football!

And Celtic, beating the Champions of Europe - it's incredible.

But what a mess with that supporter... I was at the game and saw it clear as day - a cheeky slap and nothing else, and suddenly Dida is stretchered off...

However what he did was completely inexcusable: I just can't believe a "fan" would actually do this though - what a complete arse - I hope he gets a good kicking tonight from his mates for being such a prick!

Anyway, two great results, and hopefully the Dons can do it tomorrow night too...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Wow indeed what a week for Scottish football!

And Celtic, beating the Champions of Europe - it's incredible.

But what a mess with that supporter... I was at the game and saw it clear as day - a cheeky slap and nothing else, and suddenly Dida is stretchered off...

However what he did was completely inexcusable: I just can't believe a "fan" would actually do this though - what a complete arse - I hope he gets a good kicking tonight from his mates for being such a prick!

Anyway, two great results, and hopefully the Dons can do it tomorrow night too...

I hope Dida's mates give him a good kicking too, that was as bad a piece of simulation as Rivaldo clutching his face in agony after a ball bouncing off his shin v Turkey at the 2002 world cup.

Great results all round this week; c'mon the Dons and make it a hatrick!

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pleased for Cetic as that Milan penalty was soft as shite. Great win, Milan looked utter pish. Cant believe that complete arsehole that ran onto the pitch though - wasn't any of yous was it? I shall of course be rooting for the Dons tonight as I want every Scottish team to do well in Europe.

1 - 20 of 1765 Posts