SkyscraperCity Forum banner

What is your opinion on the sale of the KC stadium?

• Sell it! And allow Walton street car park to be built on.

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Sell it, however prevent walton street car park from been developed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not sell it! The KC should remain under public ownership

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 5.3%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past few weeks the plans by Hull citys new owner Assem Allam have got serious with there ambitious sets of plans for a sports village and possibly even a new stadium! The plans are 100 million pound plus, The plans are the preferred option and include:
•An Olympic sized swimming pool
•Squash courts (the owners also hope to bring the next squash open to hull)
•A hotel (overlooking a lake and the ground)
•A multistory car park
•Two cafes
•An new hull city afc football academy
•Football pitches (full size and half size pitches)
•Gymnastics facilities
•State of the art gym
•Expansion of the KC stadium to 40,000 or a new stadium
•State of the art landscaping

Due to the size of this project, politics involved and the amount of topics this comes under I think it's best this has it's own thread

Opinions on the plans to move hull fair?
The sale of the KC...

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have no beef whatsoever with moving Hull Fair or getting rid altogether. I can't really understand how emotional people get about it as most say it's not what it used to be. One thing though is wherever within the city limits it may go, East Park would not be a good site - place would quickly become a quagmire, especially if Hull Fair weather hits. A large carpark or waste ground would suit.

The twice weekly market is more of a car boot and could go anywhere.

·
Hullensian...
1,023 Posts
Hull City owner Assem Allam: My £100m-plus sports dream

Hull Daily Mail - 4th May 2011

HULL City's owner has revealed detailed plans to spend more than £100m creating a sports village in Hull or Melton.

The spectacular plans include a hotel, tennis, squash and gymnastics facilities, an Olympic-size swimming pool and a multi-story car park.

The plans – revealed exclusively to the Mail – show for the first time the huge scale of the proposed sporting village.

It will either be created around the KC Stadium or on the back of a new 40,000 capacity stadium at Melton.

Assem Allam said: "I want to do this for the community.

"The idea behind the sports village is that it will become a day out for the whole family.

"People of all ages will be able to come and play here.

"I want to see our younger generation only go home to eat and sleep, rather than hanging around on street corners."

Read full article here: http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Undefined-Headline/article-3515816-detail/article.html

Reposted from Hull City Thread

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without been to controversial, why can't this tradition just be slowly cancelled? It's not the same as it used to be. It's absolutely zero benefit for the city economy yet cost the council thousands for various organizational reasons but most of all the amount of money it costs to clean up the mess behind. The amount of money hull folk spend on hull fair is massive yet the money goes straight to the errr travelers ;) who most if them do not even live in the city.

Anyone know where Hull fair was held before the kc stadium was built, I seem to remember been told it was a different site?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Without been to controversial, why can't this tradition just be slowly cancelled? It's not the same as it used to be. It's absolutely zero benefit for the city economy yet cost the council thousands for various organizational reasons but most of all the amount of money it costs to clean up the mess behind. The amount of money hull folk spend on hull fair is massive yet the money goes straight to the errr travelers ;) who most if them do not even live in the city.

Anyone know where Hull fair was held before the kc stadium was built, I seem to remember been told it was a different site?
I think it's been at Walton Street since the 1890s, I could be wrong though.

I don't mind Hull Fair, but it does seem a bit daft to keep that tradition going in favour of a proposal that will benefit the City all year round, and one that'll make the city unique, I can't think of another major city that has a complex like this right in the middle of the city.

Saying that, I do think that if the KC Stadium sale goes to a referendum then provisions will need to be made for Hull Fair, they could move it to the summer and hold it in East Park, but then would it be Hull Fair? Failing that, they need a large car park that's not going to cause anyone trouble by being closed for a week, the only place I can think of is the Ice Arena/Odeon site, if the Ice Arena is replaced in this village and Odeon finally closes down.

·
Hullensian...
1,023 Posts
There is plenty of land in the city that could hold it.

Not to mention 3 decent size parks. East Park, Pickering Park & Pearson Park.

Although looking on google earth it does need to be a big space which only Pickering Park fits the bill. How apt for it to possibly move near Gypsyville.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The amount of money hull folk spend on hull fair is massive yet the money goes straight to the errr travelers who most if them do not even live in the city.
No it doesn't, most of it goes to the major ride owners, who after the season is finished go off to their mansions in Spain for the winter. There may be some travellers, but also most of the food outlets are run by local people.

I agree with moving the fair, but dont see why it should finish. The council actually gain revenue from the plot charges, many ride owners pay quite a substantial amount for the week.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Would you be so kind as to provide those stats? I know how much a plot is for a small burger van for the week and it isn't cheap! So would be interested to know how out of pocket the council are because of the fair, if indeed what you are saying is correct.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
A friend of mine got quoted over £400 for the week, for a small burger van. He did take it up as he made a reasonable profit.

Im sorry Hull but I do not believe Hull Fair costs the council anything. The rates they charge cover things from health and safety and policing to the tidying up operation. I have been quoted figures verbally some time ago from my mate within the council.

What you are alledging could be quite significant, as most people accept that the high charges being put onto the ride and stall owners cover the full costs to the council, and it is wrong to be flippant in that respect Hull, stating things as 'fact' which most likely aren't just to back up your own opinion.

Surely wherever you saw it will have been in the public domain Hull, so if you could point me in the right direction, if of course what you are saying is true.. (Which I doubt very much).

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand the need to back up a fact, however all I can remember is it was a set if stats in the HDM. I've done a 20 min search and found nothing however. Maybe I'm wrong I admit that after all the HDM is not the most reliable source is it ;)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If you are confusing it with using resources such as police then fair enough, but it is not fair to suggest that the tax payer subsidises Hull Fair. It has become so established that the council can charge pretty much what they like and the ride operators and stall holders will pay it, but the full cost of the fair to the council is met, and I am told it is friendly to the council coffers.

If it did cost the tax payer then I would agree with phasing it out, but as things stand I dont see why moving it would be such a problem, should the Allams be allowed to buy the site.

·
Hullensian...
1,023 Posts
There's a nice big plot by the a63 behind macro... Just needs a bit of clearing

Not sure where on Suttonfields they could put a fair - surely the land is better used for industry?
Spotted that on Google Earth earlier, looks like a old go-kart track on there too. The only issue I thought was that it is not as accessible as walton street for the many that walk to the fair. But it would look good on the river front.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.