SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the talk of another high rise proposal in the Harewood Quarter got me thinking about how geographically dispersed the proposed skyscrapers in Leeds are.

I was working in Frankfurt a couple of months ago and visited the financial district (know as Mainhatten to the locals!) which has a large number of extremely impressive skyscrapers, I'm guessing the tallest is around 50 storeys. These are all built around a public park in a relatively compact space which looks fantastic and the impact made by all the buildings together is much greater than if they were spaced out.

My point is therefore, rather than having ad hoc spacing of high rise development in Leeds, would it not make sense to have an area in which the majority of the developments over say 25 storeys are located, the area around BWP would seem ideal. As someone mentioned earlier in the week, it would be great if the awful lowrise building in the middle of the roundabout opposite BWP were to be replaced with a skyscraper. Imagine the impact to visitors coming off the M621 to drive through a number of 30 plus storey developments! There won't be this impact if single buildings are located here there and everywhere.

This applies for other development as well. I would love the centre of Leeds to have a more finished feel to it. Rather than getting edge of city centre developments, it would really give the city centre a world class feel if the Trinity Quarter, Harewood Quarter and Warehouse Hill were to be completed as absolute priorities. There would then be a whole area of the city that was completely sorted. Surely the council has the power to push these schemes forward by fast tracking planning (obviously provided the proposals are up to scratch).

I feel its key to have an overall strategy for developing the city centre (like there is for HUV) rather than ad hoc development. I went to see the Will Alsop exhibition at Urbis in Manchester last weekend (what a great building BTW, I love it!) and whilst I don't like what he proposes, I love the strategic thinking behind it.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is the Koetter Kim masterplan for that area:

http://www.koetterkim.com/images_me...terplan.data_/images/ukleedsmasterplan_13.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot get it to full size, but if you go onto the website, you will find it. It is interesting what you say regarding the spread of high rise in Leeds. Originally, it was going to be at gateway locations, and it could be argued this is still the case. Most of the high rises I can think of form a ring around the centre - BP, Globe Road, Doncasters Monkbridge, Bridge House, The Plaza are all location at major access points. The ones that are (slightly) out are CP and Whitehall Tower (if it exists).

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
firstly, wheres Warehouse Hill, and secondly most of Leeds' high rise proposals seem to be along the riverside, and along the route of the inner ring road. I think some of Leeds city centre feels 'finished' but I feel the east of the city centre, Boar Lane area, and the northern parts up towards the Merrion Centre etc feel a bit unfinished. I think though the most unfinished area would have to be the end of the inner ring road area from the international pool down to where the warehouses start and the railway viaducts. It needs something doing with it.

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leeds No.1 said:
firstly, wheres Warehouse Hill, and secondly most of Leeds' high rise proposals seem to be along the riverside, and along the route of the inner ring road. I think some of Leeds city centre feels 'finished' but I feel the east of the city centre, Boar Lane area, and the northern parts up towards the Merrion Centre etc feel a bit unfinished. I think though the most unfinished area would have to be the end of the inner ring road area from the international pool down to where the warehouses start and the railway viaducts. It needs something doing with it.
Warehouse Hill is the site on The Calls which has been derelict for years, it's between Aire Bar and the old Thistle Hotel building.

You seem to be missing my point about clustering the high rise developments. The riverside covers a large part of the city centre and I feel that most of the highrise developments should be within a very small area to produce the maximum impact, like I said above similar to in Frankfurt, if you haven't been there then there must be some pictures on the Frankfurt forum.

Regarding the unfinished feel of the city centre, all major city centres are going to have areas that feel unfinished and indeed fairly ropey looking areas, it goes with the territory of being a big city. However my point is that the real core city centre area contains areas that are very visible to visitors and unfortunately give them a poor first impression of Leeds, being Trinity Quarter, Harewood Quarter and as you rightly say, parts of Boar Lane.

The bottom section of Wellington St that you mention and also the Merrion Centre are not in my mind the core city centre and are less important for giving people a good first impression of the city centre.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
true- the worst bit I'd say is the primary route from the station-core shopping area. City Square is nice but its just off it really. The area needing improvements in appearance is all the area outside the front of the station- thats New Station Street and the roads below, as well as that part of Boar Lane and up towards Commercial St. along Albion Street.

Yes it would have more of an impact to have all of Leeds' skyscrapers in a cluster, but I think this will come in time. From some angles, it would have an impact anyway. I don't see the south of the city centre aka around the station as a major gateway- the main sites are the A61 from the North at Quarry Hill, A64 from the East at Quarry Hill, A61 from the south at Clarence Dock, and probably the most important one is the start of the inner ring road, A58 near the Yorkshire Post Building which has potential to be like Holloway Circus, in the way of the imposing skyscraper style.

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leeds No.1 said:
Yes it would have more of an impact to have all of Leeds' skyscrapers in a cluster, but I think this will come in time. From some angles, it would have an impact anyway. I don't see the south of the city centre aka around the station as a major gateway- the main sites are the A61 from the North at Quarry Hill, A64 from the East at Quarry Hill, A61 from the south at Clarence Dock, and probably the most important one is the start of the inner ring road, A58 near the Yorkshire Post Building which has potential to be like Holloway Circus, in the way of the imposing skyscraper style.
Er, how is the south of the city not a major gateway? The M1 comes in through the south of the city centre and much M1 traffic will eventually go past the station and up the A65. Not everyone lives north of Leeds you know!

·
dE/dm
2,411 Posts
Frankfurt would appear a very strange example to use of clustering of skyscrapers. As far as I was concerned it's very spread out - much more so than Leeds. Perhaps La Defence in paris would be a better example.

Leeds council had officially objected to 'pepper potting' of tall buildings around the city, especialy in the city centre, preferring instead to build them in 4 gateway positions as previously stated. Most of the new tall buildings are concentrated along the river aire, give or take a bit. The only other one's are the plaza and the little london student flats located in the north of the city.

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talisker said:
Frankfurt would appear a very strange example to use of clustering of skyscrapers. As far as I was concerned it's very spread out - much more so than Leeds. Perhaps La Defence in paris would be a better example.
I dunno how to post an image, but look at this picture http://www.skyscraperpicture.com/frankfurt008.jpg Looks pretty clustered to me.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
no, some roads from the south are major gateways, but not where the station is I wouldn't say. I think its quite a major route out of the city though but not into the city.

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leeds No.1 said:
no, some roads from the south are major gateways, but not where the station is I wouldn't say. I think its quite a major route out of the city though but not into the city.
What an absolute load of rubbish! Have you ever actually visited Leeds?

·
heavymetalmayhem
92 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
Whenever I return from London or the South whether I’ve come up the M1 or the A1 I always join the M621 then come off at junction 3 past Bridgewater Place under the station and into City sq. I always go that way because I get a fantastic ‘its good to be home’ feeling from the impressive entrance to the city as soon as you come off the motorway your right there. If people come to visit I always direct them that way because it gives by far the best first impression of Leeds. I would say it’s the most important gateway to the city as anybody from A1, M62 or M1 will usually come in on this route. Its impressive now, especially at night, I think it should be the main focus for high rise - a cluster around this gateway would make it awsome!

·
dE/dm
2,411 Posts
si,
there are individual clusters whithin a much larger, sprawling skyline in frankfurt. The same situation is likely to occur in Leeds (ie BWP/criterion place, mayfair/kite tower etc.). It's not such a bad thing IMO

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talisker said:
si,
there are individual clusters whithin a much larger, sprawling skyline in frankfurt. The same situation is likely to occur in Leeds (ie BWP/criterion place, mayfair/kite tower etc.). It's not such a bad thing IMO
Yeah I hope you're right. The area that I was really alluding to is the cluster to the right of your top picture where the Commerzbank building is located, it has a real New York feel about it and I really want a similar effect in Leeds rather than a spread of high rise buildings here and there diluting the impact of each.

Great pictures and I've now learnt how to post images! ;)

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
I agree with Talisker. Should be pretty much the same in Leeds, but on a much smaller scale. I dont like the fact that Frankfurts best scraper, the Messeturm is separated quite a bit from the rest though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I know what you mean, I too thought Leeds should concentrate on a cluster around the station rather then a wide spread. To be honest we are getting a cluster, all the biggies around the station with a few mid rises on the outskirts.

Either way will look great however. In the long run this will benefit the skyline. Manchester are doing the same thing.

·
Mhmm?
3,723 Posts
Having a quick read of this thread. It seems that clusters may be starting to spring up here and there as predicted. Around Bridgewater Place, we now have the prospect of Criterion. Around Lumiere we have the potential for Wellington Place to have high-rise at the West Point end. And there is the top end of the city, around Tower House, which I personally believe will be Leeds' first cluster, as we already havfe Tower House, and it seems another 25 storey building, followed by potentially a 36 storey Unite Plaza development. Any thoughts?

Subliving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts