SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Spring District/Bel-Red Development News and Photos

184189 1126
From the DJC's recent Urban Development special piece

http://www.djc.com/news/re/11201144.html
1081 - 1100 of 1127 Posts
Can confirm: I have a 20 year old truck that's got 60K miles on it. I've been driving to work every day this week because of the smoke. I might have to fill my gas tank for a third time this year :(

If I were in an apartment I'd probably rent a place to store it instead of ditching it. But I normally drive the car once a week, if that much.
FWIW outside of the dense urban core (and even in there depending on the resident) we have found it difficult to get the rents necessary to justify new construction if residents aren't able to park in the building. I'm not talking about underwriting models, just actuals. As someone who is always looking at ways to "value engineer" a building to make it work financially so we can get equity and banks interested enough to move forward, I would love to be able to shave down the parking ratios, but we really struggle to rent units at the rents we need them to be at in our buildings that are under parked. Even in our TOD buildings where people use transit a lot, they seem to want to be able to own a car and park it in the building, even if they don't use it every day. And that is with the parking being unbundled from the unit (you pay for the stall(s) separately).
Reactions: geoffloftus
10/27/22

Holy smokes BNB works fast (Block 13). 2 weeks ago they were barely below grade.
Also, steel is above ground for Block 5
I can't recall, did we ever find out who the buyer of the Cadman property is? There's a new proposal that popped up this week for the site with CollinsWoerman as the architect

Construct a multi-phased, mixed-use residential project which will complete the required street grid as outlined in the Bel-Red zoning code.
The only thing I'd read was that the 9-acre site was for sale in June, and the property record doesn't (yet) show a sale.
Previously I missed that they had named it "Station 130", and that led me to CBRE's ad and a related LinkedIn post that suggests 1,000 apartments or 1.2M sqft of office.
But that's all so far.
I can't recall, did we ever find out who the buyer of the Cadman property is? There's a new proposal that popped up this week for the site with CollinsWoerman as the architect

Construct a multi-phased, mixed-use residential project which will complete the required street grid as outlined in the Bel-Red zoning code.
11/18/22

Spring District Updates

A Comansa crane stub has appeared on the Block 13 site:

The Block 5 double core has topped out (basically), and steel is on floor 2:

Also, the manlift was removed from Block 6.
Spring district is shiny and nice but man do I wish it had more residential.
I wish it had more anything. More commercial. More entertainment. More transit (yeah, I know.) Companies that aren't Facebook.

I know someone who lives there because he thought he wouldn't need to learn to drive. He just bought a car. The Spring District is still very Bellevue.
Spring district is shiny and nice but man do I wish it had more residential.
Renderings for a housing project at 130th and 20th.

Some info from the packet. Portman Residential is the developer and the architect is CollinsWoerman

1605 130th Ave NE is a multi-phased, four-block development bounded by a future road extension of 128th Ave NE to the west, future road development of NE 18th St to the north, existing and reconstructed 130th Ave NE to the east, and future NE Spring Boulevard extension to the south in the Bel-Red subarea adjacent to the 130th Street Light Rail Station. The site is zoned BR-RC-1 with a maximum allowable height of 150 feet. The site area is 402,588 SF with a base FAR of 1.0 and a maximum FAR of 4.0. The site currently consists of a gravel and concrete industrial operation. The site has steep slopes along the west and south, with an overall elevation change of approximately fifty (50) feet from the northeast corner to the southwest corner.

The project is anticipated to be constructed in two phases, with the initial phase along NE Spring Boulevard and wrapping around to 130th Avenue NE. This phase will consist of 572,996 SF of residential with 18,585 SF of ground floor retail along the corner of 130th Avenue NE and NE Spring Boulevard and supporting parking. The second phase will consist of 560,766 SF of residential with 10,710 SF of ground floor retail along 130th Avenue NE and supporting parking. The second phase will lie between NE 17th Street and NE 18th Street. Once completed, full build-out will total 1,133,762 SF of residential, 29,295 SF of retail and parking for up to 1,236 cars.

The goal of the project is to create a catalytic, memorable, and vibrant residential development that takes advantage of the unique location adjacent to the future light rail station and complements the rapidly evolving urban context of this major node in the Bel-Red subarea. With its proximity to Interstate 520, the future light rail station, and the future 130th Station Park-andRide, the project will be highly visible and accessible to both cars and pedestrians. Active uses, publicly accessible green streets, and enhanced landscaping and streetscapes will promote connectivity through the site and to surrounding uses, while careful attention to design, proportions, and massing will ensure the project is a good neighbor and contributes to an attractive and vibrant place. The mix of residential and retail uses, green streets and pedestrian-oriented design will promote an active environment for residents, retail shoppers and visitors, who, along with pedestrians, will take advantage of the streetscapes that link the site to the developing urban grid and to public transportation.

The project will complete a significant portion of the 130th Station street grid with the partial or full development of 128th Ave NE, 129th Ave NE, NE 18th St and NE 17th St as anticipated in the Comprehensive Plan, Bel-Red Subarea Plan and Zoning Code requirements. Utilization of the site’s slope will take advantage of views, establish a hierarchy of scale, and provide openness within and through the site. Pedestrian-oriented design principles will create an inviting environment for this important node and establish this light rail station as a destination.

The only thing I'd read was that the 9-acre site was for sale in June, and the property record doesn't (yet) show a sale.
Previously I missed that they had named it "Station 130", and that led me to CBRE's ad and a related LinkedIn post that suggests 1,000 apartments or 1.2M sqft of office.
But that's all so far.
Wow. Very impressive scale! Some of my least favorite architects, but oh well. These are preliminary massing studies so will of course get updated as design progresses.
Also, I hope this will spur the city into gear on completing Spring Blvd. Last I checked the city hadn't even allocated funding, let alone started design and construction. I assume it's at least ~3 years away at least.
The 130th Station is going to have a critical mass of residents soon after it opens. This really is impressive. Didn't someone count projects around the station...at least another 1,000 before this one?
Reactions: apardoe
There are three apartment buildings currently under construction in this part of BelRed (Vicino, Big1, Ondina) totaling about 830 units. Plus 10 more officially in the pipeline (I don’t have their numbers handy) and now this big one at Cadman.
The 130th Station is going to have a critical mass of residents soon after it opens. This really is impressive. Didn't someone count projects around the station...at least another 1,000 before this one?
Not technically in the Spring District but close enough. Good to add more residential.
I feel that the Spring District has overtaken all of Bel-Red between downtown and Overlake. It certainly dominates the city's Bel-Red plan--mostly because something tangible happened with the Spring District and nothing much happened with the rest. (Recognizing, of course, that a lot of these apartments follow the Bel-Red rezoning.)
Not technically in the Spring District but close enough. Good to add more residential.
Reactions: araman0 and csAxer8
288 more homes coming to Bel Red
This is the project previously called Bellevue Station. Good to see it breaking ground though.
288 more homes coming to Bel Red
Reactions: cameronrex
Facebook parent Meta shrinks office space in Hudson Yards amid cost cutting

And they've got all this office space in the Spring District. Wonder what's gonna happen next.
This looks more like consolidation than it does giving up space. From the article, they're keeping 1.2m SF in Hudson Yards 50 out of 1.5m SF leased originally. They're giving up the smaller portion in buildings 30 and 55. They have almost 2m SF in 770 Broadway and the Farley building/old post office. They gave up the building at Bryant Park and 225 Park Avenue but added space in 770 Broadway, giving them almost all of 770's 1.2m SF. And Farley is about 700-800K SF.

I don't know what this means for the Spring District nor if the company plans to give up space in Seattle/Bellevue. They certainly have a lot of space and are building more.
Facebook parent Meta shrinks office space in Hudson Yards amid cost cutting

And they've got all this office space in the Spring District. Wonder what's gonna happen next.
Appears the crane is being erected on Block 13. Was driving on 520 and saw the mobile crane over there.
1081 - 1100 of 1127 Posts