SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to Toledo (again) from May 6-8, 2011. It's my third time in 2 years visiting the city and it was, once again, an awesome time. Took in the Erie Street Market, a couple of Mud Hens games and the Toledo Museum of Art.

Without further ado... the first part of my photo tour, we start in the Erie Street Market, home to the Toledo Farmer's Weekend Market, and the Libbey Glass Outlet Store...

Sign for the markets on Summit and Lafayette streets

Erie Street Market sign...

Toledo Farmer's Market, these were taken on a beautiful warm Saturday morning...

Back entrance to the Farmer's Market

Libbey Glass Factory Outlet, bought my mom some glasses (drinking) for Mother's Day. BTW, Libbey Glass is headquartered in Toledo.

Inside the Glass Store...

On this shelf, you'll find glasses with about every team possible, except Toledo Mud Hens and Walleye, they're at the Swamp Shop...

Toledo Warehouse district in bloom...

Owens-Corning Headquarters on the Riverfront and the Anthony Wayne Suspension Bridge...

Downtown Toledo, looking east...

Downtown buildings...

One Seagate, tallest building in the city...

Downtown from the Cherry Street bridge...

HCR Manor Care building...

ToledoEdison building...

Riverfront Apartments

Fiberglas Tower, second tallest, hopefully soon to be renovated, it's in the city's budget.

Fifth Third Field, home of the Toledo Mud Hens from my room @ the Park Inn downtown...

Huntington Center, home of the Toledo Walleye, ECHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings and the Chicago Blackhawks.

PizzaPapalis, Detroit-based chain specializing in Chicago-style deep dish pizza, ate here the night before, is it EVER GOOD!

Tony Packo's, a Toledo institution, made famous by Toledo-native Jamie Farr's character, Max Klinger on M*A*S*H... their food is great!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Great pics jaybird! glad to hear you had another great experience in our city!

In the summer theres a bunch more people at the farmers market. From what ik could see in your pics looks like there was about a 3rd of the people there that you would usually see in the summer season.

And Finally what floor were you staying on at the PArk Inn??

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT PICS AND SUPPORT OF OUR CITY!!

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great pics jaybird! glad to hear you had another great experience in our city!

In the summer theres a bunch more people at the farmers market. From what ik could see in your pics looks like there was about a 3rd of the people there that you would usually see in the summer season.

And Finally what floor were you staying on at the PArk Inn??

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT PICS AND SUPPORT OF OUR CITY!!
I was on the 15th floor of the Park Inn, top floor. Thanks to your city for being so great to me again. The people there are incredibly friendly, and I loved it so much the first time, I decided to visit again. There's a lot of great things about your city that many may not see. The arts, history, culture, food, sports teams, architecture, riverfront... many great things about Toledo.

It's becoming my third "home away from home" behind Detroit and Buffalo, New York.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Downtown Toledo is really nice in the summertime. They have several ethnic festivals, a barbecue event, and a City-fest. I haven't been to any in several years, but they used to be very good in the 1990's.

·
18,086 Posts
Nice pcitures! Is there a reason you go to so many Mud Hens games? Is it because of their affiliation with the Tigers? It's rare to find a baseball fan who sees his team's minor league affilaites, if that's why you go. I like to scout the prospects at the Blue Rocks games here but they're affiliated with the Royals, so I am going to games for local entertainment more than to follow players up to the parent club.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice pcitures! Is there a reason you go to so many Mud Hens games? Is it because of their affiliation with the Tigers? It's rare to find a baseball fan who sees his team's minor league affilaites, if that's why you go. I like to scout the prospects at the Blue Rocks games here but they're affiliated with the Royals, so I am going to games for local entertainment more than to follow players up to the parent club.
Thanks! Yeah, the Mud Hens affiliation with the Tigers has partly to do with it. But I enjoyed myself so much in Toledo last year that I decided to go again this year, and take in the Toledo Museum of Art and the Erie Street Market as well. Plus, I wanted to see more of the Old West Side. Heck the hotel staff remembered me from the last time I was there last year as well as the cab driver whose number I have. I also just had to eat @ Tony Packo's again!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts

Mudhens games are probly the biggest regular thing in Toledo... They draw very well 550,000+ a year... which is consistantly top 5 attendance in the league. The area around the ballpark has transformed in the past 10 yrs from maybe a handfull of bars n restuarants to well over 20 now. The ballpark itself is beautiful many say it resembles a mini safeco field. I personally dont care for the Tigers and there are many Indians and Reds fans in Toledo that fully support the mudhens (Its hard to root against the Columbus Clippers though) and also... No matter what team you like u cant hate the Toledo Mudhens... World Famous! how many other pro teams have a feminine mascot.

Jaybirds reasons may be different then mine but i just like the atmosphere... being downtown... supporting my local team. Seriously... If you went to downtown toledo say in 1995..... you probly woulnt come back. there really wasnt much down there around then. the ballpark is a huge key for our community

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mudhens games are probly the biggest regular thing in Toledo... They draw very well 550,000+ a year... which is consistantly top 5 attendance in the league. The area around the ballpark has transformed in the past 10 yrs from maybe a handfull of bars n restuarants to well over 20 now. The ballpark itself is beautiful many say it resembles a mini safeco field. I personally dont care for the Tigers and there are many Indians and Reds fans in Toledo that fully support the mudhens (Its hard to root against the Columbus Clippers though) and also... No matter what team you like u cant hate the Toledo Mudhens... World Famous! how many other pro teams have a feminine mascot.

Jaybirds reasons may be different then mine but i just like the atmosphere... being downtown... supporting my local team. Seriously... If you went to downtown toledo say in 1995..... you probly woulnt come back. there really wasnt much down there around then. the ballpark is a huge key for our community
I like the atmosphere, too, and the Mud Hens have been around FOREVER, and they're world famous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts