SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
That's erm quite alot isn't it the land isn't that big so could be looking at a 7 story building?

This area would be great for student acomadation I always thought round there would be good as it's close ish to princess ave I'd say if it's not manor we could be in luck

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
That land looks even smaller than I thought! Could be a good sign if the plans are for 124 rooms.
The travelodge is on slightly larger land and has 74 rooms (I think) and 74 rooms = 5 storys so as I've already mentioned 124 rooms could be 9/10 storys!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's on the land bounded By Spring Street/Colonial Street/Grey Street as KuH has mentioned, i'm sure the site's larger than the Travelodge site but will have to provide a large amount of off street parking. The architects are apparently Harrison Ince.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It says that they are associated documents/plans with the application but I'm on my iPhone so can't view them because I don't have adobe reader. Can anyone have a look?

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
associated documents are uploaded a few days after the application is put online

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Small write up in the paper regarding the student flats just says that plans have been submitted and that it will go before planners by febuary

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Its not great but its better than the combination of empty buildings and waste ground thats currently there.

The OS extract shows the proposed site including the landscaped area infront of TK Maxx. I would rather that remain unbuilt on as it would ruin the view of St Stephens from the back.

http://web.hullcc.gov.uk/WAM/doc/OS...LUME1&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

Elevations:

http://web.hullcc.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Dr...LUME1&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

http://web.hullcc.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Dr...LUME1&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,540 Posts
Student blocks aren't renowned for their architectural finnese. If it can help to spur other development around there and have a knock on effect for businesses on Spring bank (thus helping to link the avenues more fully to town) then I suppose it might be worth it. Might be good to see it knocked back and a better design proposed though, even if it adds a year or two to the wait.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Could this be the extention st stephans manager was talking about?
I think it's a step in the right direction. Just imagine many more buildings like this around there the impression train passengers got of hull city centre would improve.

Overall I think this render is simple so I think it would turn out ok and it's 8 stories:)

·
Banned
237 Posts
I expect this development will be passed without any problems get it built be good for the area and create a bit more of a evening buzz.

I would expect every single retailer, restaurant and cinema in St Stephens will encourage this development to be granted.

And pubs like the star and garter will benefit also.

Once passed those type of flats are built built pretty quickly, if they build it.

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,540 Posts
Hull is the only university city I can think of without a large centrally located student accommodation block. It can only benefit it's footfall and vibrancy. Perhaps it would also create a greater sense of engagement with the city for the students, as opposed to them sticking to the cott rd campus, avenues and cottingham as part of a cloistered, flying visit. I'm willing to bet there are some in their third year of study who have never even been into the centre of town, and dont realise what it has to offer.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts