SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
The most pictureque city in Texas and one of the most photogenic cities in the country.

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
Gorgeous! With the lush green and houses on the hills, it looks more like a city in the Ohio Valley.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Cool. I really like the 8th picture. The photo of the homes on the hillside reminds me of taking off from Montego Bay in Jamaica.

...although Austin's homes look a little nicer.

:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous! Austin is the only major city in Texas that I haven't visited, but I have a feeling that it would be my favorite if I did. Beautiful pictures.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Wait till you see traffic in this little town.. although it's not so bad because while your stuck in never-ending traffic, often you're surrounded by nature. Or a ghetto. Depending on what part of town you're in. And as for the 6th Street pics, that was barely a sample. 6th Street goes on and on for a few blocks. I love the hills out toward the Colorado River. One time I was stuck in traffic on 360, at the Colorado River bridge, and I saw a little rocky outcropping so we pulled over and parked the car, got out, and scaled some of the bluffs along the Colorado River, and came back 30 minutes later and traffic was eased up. There are not many cities in America that are as outdoorsy as Austin. One thing for sure to its credit is that people from all over go down there all the time (regrettably for school) and decide to never leave. And it has nothing to do with the economy or the downtown, it's all about the outdoors, and it's all about the people. The people in Austin are great.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cool. I really like the 8th picture. The photo of the homes on the hillside reminds me of taking off from Montego Bay in Jamaica.

...although Austin's homes look a little nicer.

:)
Yeah, it reminded me of the Virgin Islands actually. Great pics, I'd love to visit Austin one day.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wait till you see traffic in this little town..
You do realize that this "little town" is bigger than OKC right?

But you're right about the ridiculous traffic problems Austin has. I know the state is building multiple toll roads around the metro area to try and relieve the center city traffic, but until the CapMetro light rail starts later this year, I don't think things are going to get better anytime soon.

·
My user title is the bomb
631 Posts
OH MY GOSH! Great pics! I love Austin! I have family there. The neighborhoods in the hills are breathtaking!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great, more "expert" information from SRG. This guy is full of so much "useful" information.:lol:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Beautiful city - little wonder why Austin is a major growth center. I love the hills - very nice. maybe I should move to Austin.....hmmmmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most of the metro west of downtown is rather hilly and expensive. You also have a lot of preserve land, and impervious cover limits to protect the Colorado River and Edward's Aquifer, as well as some endangered species like the Golden-cheeked Warbler and Barton Springs Salamander.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts