Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Dallas earlier this week to do some shopping. Took some pics of shopping in Dallas, including Mockingbird Station, Highland Park Village, and NorthPark area. Mockingbird is a prime example of transit-oriented development, which I've talked about a lot. I wrote a lot more on my blog, but this is just the short version. Here are some of the pics I took, all of them are posted at my forums.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Went to Dallas earlier this week to do some shopping. Took some pics of shopping in Dallas, including Mockingbird Station, Highland Park Village, and NorthPark area. Mockingbird is a prime example of transit-oriented development, which I've talked about a lot. I wrote a lot more on my blog, but this is just the short version. Here are some of the pics I took, all of them are posted at my forums.

Isn't that where Patrizio's is?

·
devonian
135 Posts
cool pics. i'd heard so much about the dart but hadn't realized it was a subway, and not just typical light rail.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I rode from Mockingbird to NorthPark. I thought it was pretty decent.. the longest I had to wait was 5 minutes for a train coming back down to Mockingbird at 5 or so. I don't know if I liked the idea of getting on public transit with a shopping bag from Nordstrom's and Armani Exchange, but it beat hunting for a parking space in the garage. The crossing over the Central Expressway at NorthPark was pretty pedestrian-friendly.

I would have gone deeper into Dallas but I had to be back in OKC for a late dinner.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Yeah I rode from Mockingbird to NorthPark. I thought it was pretty decent.. the longest I had to wait was 5 minutes for a train coming back down to Mockingbird at 5 or so. I don't know if I liked the idea of getting on public transit with a shopping bag from Nordstrom's and Armani Exchange, but it beat hunting for a parking space in the garage. The crossing over the Central Expressway at NorthPark was pretty pedestrian-friendly.

I would have gone deeper into Dallas but I had to be back in OKC for a late dinner.
Cool. Yeah, 5 minutes ain't that bad of a wait.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah Dallas public transit is GREAT. Best in the south probably.
I'm sure some Atlanta folk will disagree with you about that but yeah, Dallas public transit is actually really good and getting better all the time. I'm glad to be from here because for me on the whole the city is pretty progressive and forward-thinking.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sure some Atlanta folk will disagree with you about that but yeah, Dallas public transit is actually really good and getting better all the time. I'm glad to be from here because for me on the whole the city is pretty progressive and forward-thinking.
I haven't ever ridden the MARTA. Been to Atlanta before, but I haven't had any reason to go in the last 5 years. I could be wrong but I don't think that MARTA is expanding as much as the DART and they haven't embraced the concept of transit-oriented development nearly as much as Dallas obviously has. Seems like the key difference here is that a majority of urban growth in Dallas is happening along the rails, whereas the majority of urban growth in Atlanta is happening along various streets named "Peachtree." Peachtree Rd, Peachtree Avenue, Peachtree Blvd, North Peachtree..whatever.

And then there's Houston, whole different ball game.. a lot more urban growth than both Atlanta and Dallas and much, much less organized. It's a kind of chaos you grow to love.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
thanks for the pics. good to see the less often seen side of Dallas. i'll have to check this area out sometime. i plan on riding the rails one day (and only the rails).

-

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LSyd, you could ride the TRE from DTD into Fort Worth, which I don't think you've gotten very many pics of. I could be wrong though. And of course, from Fort Worth you can ride the Heartland Flyer straight into DT OKC.. I've never done it but I really want to.

·
***H***
4,512 Posts
Very good.

·
Red Sox Nation!
1,497 Posts
Great pic's SRG!! I will be going to Dallas in about 3 weeks to visit a friend,He live south of Dallas,in Desoto but while I am there, I will take some pics! any suggestions on where to go in Dallas- to eat, shop? I havent been there in about 10 yrs!

·
The Phoenix Rises
140 Posts
I haven't ever ridden the MARTA. Been to Atlanta before, but I haven't had any reason to go in the last 5 years. I could be wrong but I don't think that MARTA is expanding as much as the DART and they haven't embraced the concept of transit-oriented development nearly as much as Dallas obviously has. Seems like the key difference here is that a majority of urban growth in Dallas is happening along the rails, whereas the majority of urban growth in Atlanta is happening along various streets named "Peachtree." Peachtree Rd, Peachtree Avenue, Peachtree Blvd, North Peachtree..whatever.

And then there's Houston, whole different ball game.. a lot more urban growth than both Atlanta and Dallas and much, much less organized. It's a kind of chaos you grow to love.
If I may,I must correct you.Your statements are not quite accurate about what is going on in Atlanta.Much of the development has been centerd around transit development(MARTA).
Lindbergh Center Station was the first whiich started originally about 9 years ago,but in the last 5 years,it has really opened wide up.

Buckhead which has 2 stations continues to explode all around.Major retail,hotels,condo and most recently the "Streets of Buckhead" is billed as the next "Rodeo Drive of the South"http://www.streetsofbuckhead.com/

The Decatur Sation has transformed into a major destination as well.Soon as you come out of the station you surrounded by a a new renovated stylish plaza adjacent to new cafes, restaurants,retail shops,and condominiums smack dab in the middle of a town square.

The Edgewood Station recieved a new "town square type development with over the "shop" residential offerings as well as lofts.Best Buy,Target,Kroger,Barnes&Nobles,and so many other retail shops are everywhere.http://www.sembler.com/gallery.php?id=7

So MOST of the growth is NOT going on on along Peachtree or any other Peachtree.

That said nice post.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.