Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the airport expansion going in Colombo?? I tried looking for some pics, but only found the new runway. If anyone has any pics of the airport, post them!! :) :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Colombo Airport (BIA) New Terminal

Next month a new terminal with eight aerobridges is scheduled to open. The capacity will be lifted from the current 3 million to 5 million. New duty free shops and a lounge has been added previously.

Could someone who has recently passed Colombo post some pics up of the new terminal??

Thanks

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
nice

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sri Lanka to get a 2nd International Airport

Ahhh, Today was a horrible day for me....until I saw this:D:D

From Daily News

Work on Southern Int'l Airport begins in April

COLOMBO: President Mahinda Rajapakse yesterday directed the relevant Departments and officials to begin preliminary construction work on the new Southern International Airport in Hambantota in April.

He made this directive at a discussion on Southern development held at Temple Trees.

The acquisition of lands for the airport, preliminary plans and technical details were discussed at length.

It was also agreed to accelerate a series of major projects under the National Programme to Develop the South. Several of these projects will extend to the adjacent Eastern Province.

Among the main items on the agenda were the Hambantota Port and International Airport and Southern Expressways. It was agreed to extend the Southern Expressway to Kataragama in 2008.

The President also emphasised the need to bring the 37 Government institutions in Hambantota under one roof at the proposed mega-administrative complex.

This will have accommodation facilities for officers from other areas.

He also directed officials to explore the possibility of building the proposed Southern Information Technology Park in Godagama, Matara.

The President also directed his attention to the wild elephant problem affecting farmers in the region and instructed officials to expedite compensation to those whose cultivations have been ravaged by elephants.

He told the Wildlife Director to take steps to re-direct the elephants away from built-up areas.

Ports and Aviation Minister Mangala Samaraweera, Deputy Minister Duminda Dissanayake, Deputy Minister Mahinda Amaraweera and senior officials participated in the discussion.

·
Scarebarian
600 Posts
Bertez said:
It was agreed to extend the Southern Expressway to Kataragama in 2008.
if only expressway actually meant expressway, its little more than a two-laned road. Sri lanka has to start building highways, its really pathetic driving between different cities, the amoutn fo time driving through other cities to get to your destination is incredible.

i think the first one was to start from Matheli(i spelld it wrong) to Kandy i think.

·
Scarebarian
600 Posts
Bikaner said:
Good news! Sri Lanka has been needing a 2nd International Airport for quite some time now. This will save a lot of time for people living in the South.

i dont see which airline would transfer their service to Hambantota or have a new service to that airport, Colombo makes more sense for all the foriegn carriers. Sri Lankan might have a few of its flights there i guess.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nitzomoe said:
i dont see which airline would transfer their service to Hambantota or have a new service to that airport, Colombo makes more sense for all the foriegn carriers. Sri Lankan might have a few of its flights there i guess.
It might be used as an alternate airport, in case CMB gets shutdown

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
I was board Air Sri Lanka ten years ago from BKk to Hk and left me a very excellent and deep impression , it's pleased to see the related news here !

·
Scarebarian
600 Posts
cmoonflyer said:
I was board Air Sri Lanka ten years ago from BKk to Hk and left me a very excellent and deep impression , it's pleased to see the related news here !
its a tad bit overcrowded nowadays, when i went in March they were in the process of adding a depatures area with Jetways, one flight(cathay pacific) was enough to pack the entire arrivals area to overcapacity levels.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
How is the reno going anyways?? I heard a hotel is under construction. Also when i went in Jan (I think) I saw another 8 piers under construction as well as the front (checkouts etc).

The Airport Expressway needs to be built and the front has to be expanded so that it isnt so crowded.

Overall I was really impressed. Over 1 year they had done so much. When I went last year the terminal was rundown and shabby. Now it is nice with good shops, jetways etc.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.