SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1072 Posts

·
Banned
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start off with a news post-

Sri Lanka to use embarkation fee revenue to develop Kalpitiya Dutch Bay Island

Sri Lanka plans to part of its embarkation fee revenue to develop the Kalpitiya Dutch Bay Island into a tourist attraction, the government said Saturday.

Cabinet of ministers had agreed to initiate the project across 5,000 acres of land at a cost of 350 million rupees.

Tourism Minister Anura Bandaranaike said the first and second phase of infrastructure development will be carried out by the Urban Development Authority and the State Engineering Corp., subject to approvals and clearances from the Central Environmental Authority, Coast Conservation Department, Fisheries and Defence Ministries.

In November, Sri Lanka announced plans to impose a 10 dollar fee on tourist visiting the island, as part of revenue collection measures for 2007.

Tourists from 78 countries are currently issued 30 day visit visas free of charge at the time of arrival.

President Mahinda Rajapakse, who is also the island's finance minister said in his budget speech that the funds collected from overseas visitors will be used for environmental protection and to maintain archeological sites.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
FOr me i think the tourism sector could recover the lost western visitors if they went for low prices, resulting in more tourist and eventually bringing in more money than the current: high price, few people focus.

Take Egypt as an example after the massacre a few years ago...

·
Banned
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, we are considerably cheaper than our Big neighbour, and Maldives. But Security Situation does need to improve (Frigging terrorists *can i say that ?*)

Anyway News time -

Sri Lanka Coastal Conservation Department removes the unauthorized structures on beaches

Thursday, December 21, 2006, 13:42 GMT, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Dec 21, Colombo: Sri Lanka Coastal Conservation Department is taking tough measures to remove the unauthorized structures on the country's coastal belt that are causing damage to the environment and the beauty of the beautiful beaches of the island country.

Unauthorized structures in the beaches of the tourist cities, Hikkaduwa and Ambalangoda were removed yesterday by the Coastal Conservation Department.

Sri Lanka police assisted the officials of the Coastal Conservation Department to proceed amidst the chaos of the angry squatters. Back haws were used to remove the structures that had been constructed completely disregarding the Coastal Conservation Ordinance and the post-tsunami regulations.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Well that is a good thing. However I hate when these enviromental agencies halt big projects that are vital for the people in the country and the overall economies and lifestyles...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well that is a good thing. However I hate when these enviromental agencies halt big projects that are vital for the people in the country and the overall economies and lifestyles...

The environmentalists always come out with their problems all the time. :bash:

Many people who riot over development activates think only in the short term. I read how in a era long gone, protests were rampant when plans were drawn up to build better/improved railway lines down south- now look at the south, lodged in backwardness till recently. (And wasn’t it because of Unions launching protests in Colombo port that Colombo lost all appeal resulting in Singapore booming?)

Even the second international airport is getting condemnation that farmers livelihoods and their families are going to be affected. All i can say is so what if farmers sons and daughters become aviators? Or aeronautical engineers or control tower people (do they have a name for that profession?)They are getting new opportunities. Short sightedness is on of the biggest reasons for poor economic growth in the past. These mega construction projects are long term ventures, the benefits of which we won't see for some time- yet people howl and whine now due to their impatience. :eek:hno: :bash:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yah, but the news people tell the people that it is to dangerous for holidays, which is absurd the war is in the North-East, not Down South or in the Western Province...

·
Banned
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Presidential Square in Colombo Fort

go to LankaPage.com

Sri Lanka::
* A Presidential Square in Colombo Fort
Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 13:43 GMT, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Dec 26, Colombo: Sri Lanka government is to construct a Presidential Square in Colombo Fort, close to the Presidential Palace as a part of a program to establish a tourist area with hotels, art galleries and museums etc.

Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa issued a Gazette notification on December 1 declaring the specified lands that are required for the Presidential Square Project.

The government intends to acquire 4 acres and 11.72 perches in Sri Lanka's one of the most economically valued areas for this purpose.

A Sunday newspaper stated that the areas under consideration are Janadhipathi Mawatha, Sir Baron Jayatilake Mawatha (Prince Street), Mudalige Mawatha (Baillie Street), Chatham Street and Hospital Lane in Colombo Fort. The area includes country's oldest buildings that are still used for business purposes.

Source - Colombopage

·
Banned
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sri Lanka welcomed 549,308 visitors in 2005
cumulative arrivals from Jan-Nov were up to 520,378,

Source - SL Tourist Board

·
Banned
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think they would be doing that. Better to convert those old buildings into entertainment/tourist destinations. This project would loose a lot of support if it tears those buildings down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Need Promotions

SL tourist board should do more to get European Tourists to SL. Promotions in Western Europe is almost nil. Actually there are more negative promotions than any positive. Dutch, Germans and Belgians are very keen on Sri Lanka but tourist offers are very limited. Only the local travel agents are doing some promotions together with SL hotels only to sell some tickets, no organized programs from SL side. Thailand, Indonesia, Mauritius, Maldives and India are promoting tourism very much in Europe and becoming popular destinations. Time to learn from our neighbors…

·
unBANNED
4,166 Posts
SL tourist board should do more to get European Tourists to SL. Promotions in Western Europe is almost nil. Actually there are more negative promotions than any positive. Dutch, Germans and Belgians are very keen on Sri Lanka but tourist offers are very limited. Only the local travel agents are doing some promotions together with SL hotels only to sell some tickets, no organized programs from SL side. Thailand, Indonesia, Mauritius, Maldives and India are promoting tourism very much in Europe and becoming popular destinations. Time to learn from our neighbors…
welcome tothe forum. Always nice to see a newface :)

According to tourism trends, the tourists from Eastern Europe isdramatically dropping. Western Europen tourists are also on the decline. Having said that there is a huge increase in tourists from South Asia and Australia. Tourists from other parts of Asia is also on the rise.

I think the rising Indian economy and the introduction of more flights to India probably explains the latter. I think with the opening of the Weerawila airport and some attractive airfares tourists can again be lured back to Sri Lanka from the west. The later is very important to counter the opening up of Indian flights /airports to the west. ie. Direct flight to Goa and Kerala etc.

1 - 20 of 1072 Posts