SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Sri Lanka Towns

21K views 84 replies 23 participants last post by  skylover2222 
#1 · (Edited)
Beautiful Sri Lankan Towns

Nuwara Eliya

See less See more
#7 ·
A beautiful place, Galle is,(I re-watched the Star Wars series)
If the government renovate the fort and preserve it as a tourist attraction only, with cafes, bouquets, large public areas (such as plazas), restrict the movement of vehicles and make it pedestrian friendly, etc that would be awsome.

#13 ·
Wish

Beautiful pictures....
I wish the British could stay in SL for a little longer, The whole of SL could have easily be this pretty and orderly. Just see Hong Kong, Singapore.

Please, I am very concious that this may not go well with many and I can expect and take some abuse.

#14 ·
Please, I am very concious that this may not go well with many and I can expect and take some abuse.
You got that right.

I wish the British could stay in SL for a little longer, The whole of SL could have easily be this pretty and orderly. Just see Hong Kong, Singapore.
What a ridiculous statement and desire. Only someone lacking brain cells or enjoying the white mans back side would say such a foolish thing.

Lanka was orderly and peacful for centuries, it was because of the British and the rest of those European destroyers did Lanka become a "developing" nation. All the baggage associated with 3rd world statues, such poverty, starvation, drug abuse, alcoholism came to Lanka AFTER the white man, not before.

#16 · (Edited)
True that ! The only rule SL people understood and will ever understand and obey is of a monarch which was rather successful before the foreign invasions in the 14th-19th centuries. As Praetorian said SL was orderly, peaceful, honest (to a large degree), religious, tolerant, and patriot before the invasions and that is a hard fact. Countries like those you mentioned are like that because they licked the british backs unlike us who nearly overthrew the British from Kandy in 1818 and 1848... We should never forget that people, patriots gave their lives to protect our freedom and we should value that, the current generations seems to have forgotten that !

#27 ·
To be ready for 2015 holiday season US$ 25 m cable car, ice skating rink in Mahagastota

For the first time in Sri Lanka, MLM Associates will be designing and constructing an ice skating rink in conjunction with the cable car project which was set to be erected in Nuwara Eliya between Lake Gregory and Mahagastota. The entire project will be completed at a total investment of US $25 million.

The cable car project was due to be completed in April this year but due to difficulties and a lack of support from the Forest Department in the clearing of lands for the construction of permanent structures, the project had to go through a complete redesign.

Due to the redesign of the project and plans to introduce the ice rink along with a gym and a hot water swimming pool, the company was able to bring down the return ticket price from Rs. 1000 to Rs. 700.

“We are awaiting the clearance of land in Single Tree Mountain to be approved within the next two months in order to be able to work on the permanent structures as the project will also include a luxury hotel. We are currently under discussions with the Land Reforms Commission (LRC) in this regard. With the cable cars, the installation and operation will hopefully be completed by April 2015,” Milanka Gajanayake, Executive Director, MLM Associates said.

The project is being segmented into three phases that would extend to nearly 7.5 km, with the first phase pulling out from Lake Gregory to Single Tree Mountain with an investment of US $ nine million alone.

The cable cars would be dual powered; solar and wind and each cabin would have the capacity for 15 persons. Over 750,000 visitors travel to Nuwara Eliya each year and there is hope of attracting 70% of these travellers and holidaymakers for rides on the cable car.

http://development.lk/news_details-7-1373.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.