Roof Height (AGL) 49.30
Total Floors (O.G) 15
Architect Renzo Piano
Developer Legal & General
Primary Use Office
Secondary Use Residential
Floorspace (sq m) 66,000.00
Flats 109

Haven't been able to find any bigger render.

This should smarten up a much negected part of the West End and provide a good deal of public space which was absent in the previous building.
The old building was misrable. I'll dig out some pics of it at some point.

Demolition has progesses quite far on this since I was last here, these aren't very indicative as I was in a rush at the time.

The spire is that of St. Giles

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
A bit dissapointing for a Renzo Piano design but i guess we have to be pragmatic, its going to be of high spec and is an much needed improvement on what was there.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
I actually like the area as its a nice break from the busy shopping and entertainment areas , a slight breather. The new buildings ok but i'm getting a bit sick of renzo pianos terraccotta facination, its been going on for years!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Stanhope has a website for this development with a good photo-gallery recording progress;

http://www.buildingcentralsaintgiles.com/default.htm

I really like the amount of new public space in this development, it will take a lot of pressure off this part of New Oxford Street.

This is the old building, nightmare!

The current state of demolition.

Some facade panels being tested, presumably for colour-matching. Look interesting and definitely not terraccotta.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
A bit annoyed by Camden regarding this area in general, Camden planning dept did a decent urban design doc for this area and not one development here has related itself to the plan, this one does in some ways but what is the point if no other development makes an effort?! The travelodge relclad is a glaring example where developers are making a lot of money by not contributing anything to the urban design aspirations of an area.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Interesting side note to this scheme. It says the Totenham Ct Rd LU redevelopment wil be starting in 2008

- - - - - - - -- - - - - -- - - - -

Tottenham Court Road Station Upgrade

For your information London Underground will be carrying out works to Tottenham Court Road station during the construction of Central Saint Giles. For the duration of the project we will liaise and co-ordinate our works informing you through this website. Below is an approximate programme of the work involved.

Diversion of utilities – March to June 2007

Earnshaw Street road works – June 2007 to June 2008

Demolition works to the west of Centre Point tower – mid 2008

Construction of new station entrance – early 2009

Road works to St Giles High Street and Princes Circus – 2007 to 2009

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Strange, I wonder how this ties in with the Crossrail proposal for Tottenham Court Road Station? According to Westminster Council;
“A separate congestion relief scheme for the Tottenham Court Road
Underground Station had been planned by London Underground. This
entailed the provision of new escalators down to platform level, the creation of
a new ticket hall and station entrance at the base of Centrepoint tower. This
scheme has now been incorporated into the Crossrail Bill.”
http://www.westminster.gov.uk/environment/planning/sitesandprojectspolicies/tottenhamcourtrdeast.cfm
Have they finally got tired of waiting for Crossrail I wonder and decided to proceed anyway?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I’m just surprised that no-one has commented on their similarity to this wooden palette! :lol: I quite like the updated weatherboard effect, but it remains to be seen if it’s going to work on such a large building.

The demolition has also revealed a rarely seen view of Centrepoint. Quality.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
its is amazing how new open areas make an area seem fresh and enticing, especially this dark dank corner of London. I think the problem with this scheme is although it theoretically presents a bit more open space with new through-routes, as seen by the diagrams; in practice the domineering massing of the scheme will make these new routes heavily underused and will close off any of these newly created views again.

1 - 20 of 476 Posts