SkyscraperCity banner

2481 - 2490 of 2490 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
There is an excellent article in "The Mag". It contains an exact copy of a letter sent to the Premier League by a gentleman called Gordon Stein. This letter threatens legal action it really is worth a read. To be fair i also picked up an article in the Guardian that was posted on the "News Now" web site that is surprisingly worth a read maybe not so biased and a wee bit more informed you could say. Cheers

·
12,968 Posts
Well written letter but..

<<I am therefore putting the EPL on notice that if the EPL does not either approve the takeover within the next 10 working days – or at least explain the reasons you failed to approve it – I (and others) will instruct lawyers to commence proceedings against the EPL and Mr Masters.>>

Got to ask on what legal grounds?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well written letter but..

Got to ask on what legal grounds?
It’s an embarrassing letter for the reason you give in your last sentence. You would think someone with all of the experience he proclaims would realise that.

I don’t like NUFC but the process has been handled shambolically. You can’t have one rule (or start actually implementing the rule) for the potential new owners of Newcastle while allowing others to own clubs who allegedly have dodgy histories. It’s also interesting that the outrage reserved for these new owners isn’t applied to gambling firms, etc.

·
12,968 Posts
just to inform all that the article about the Guardian may have come from a different publication than the Chronicle, i read a lot of comments posted on football APPS so it may have come from one of those. I wrote it down and copied it onto here a few weeks after it was published but it is definitely out their on the internet probably after an article in the Guardian attacking the take over,. I do promise the forum members it is out there and i have been asked numerous times to qualify the article but cant remember the poster's/ user name or publisher. Sorry to keep on about this but NP is pushing for an answer. Cheers.
Thanks for that, just picked up on this. For completeness I didn't ask for the source.

PM ing you I informally thought that some [not just me] were having trouble differentiating the quote from the post - what was a quote and what was 'you' in the post and wondered if you wanted to highlight it to make it clearer which was which.

I then asked you if you wanted a hand with it, but in PM's in friendly terms. You were not pressed for any answers as you imply. There was no request for a source etc, just a thought that the post might be clearer.

I'd ordinarily keep this via PM but as you suggest some sort of co-ercion " Sorry to keep on about this but NP is pushing for an answer" I feel obliged to clarify.

I may not have been clear, if so I apologise, I thought I was I was actually trying help you to promote a view I don't agree with :).

No desire to continue this here [and won't] but happy to reply via PM or even over a beer :).

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Letter from the Premier League to Chi Onwurah MP : (on CO's website)

In which they say: in June the PL determined who the controlling entities post-takeover would be, the consortium disagreed, the PL offered to take it to a tribunal, nothing else happened

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
In June the PL found a way to muddy the water for their Qatari friends by questioning the controlling entities, despite evidence given to the contrary. Knowing the PIF wouldn't wish to to take them to court over this and risk any negative exposure, as well as not enough brown paper envelopes being handed around, the PL then decided to sit it out and wait for the PIF to pull out.

Of course the knock on effect of this is the likely relegation of Newcastle United (a club the PL is supposed to represent) unless another buyer is found. But what the hell. The upset fans are way North and they can all turn a blind eye, safe in the knowledge that the SA/Man Utd relationship can go on as normal, Qatar are happy, and Liverpool and Spurs (the more important PL clubs) are happy they won't have to deal with ANOTHER rival in their rightful self entitled PL/European place.

Hope this Malaysian rumour isn't more Mike Ashley investment delaying tactics.

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Newcastle United's explosive statement: What it means for long-running takeover saga

Newcastle United's explosive Wednesday night statement confirmed that the Premier League has now officially rejected the Saudi-backed takeover bid that was bogged down for 17 weeks in a summer of frustration.

The PIF had withdrawn the deal in late July but effectively it was up to Newcastle to withdraw from the Owners and Directors Test, which had left the bid in limbo for a few weeks.
Now it appears that limbo is over and the gloves are off, with United accusing the Premier League of failing to act appropriately. It's an extraordinary accusation which leaves the door open for legal action: either through the courts or by challenging the decision.

These are the two lines in the Newcastle United (Mike Ashley) statement that are key:

1 - "This conclusion has been reached despite the club providing the Premier League with overwhelming evidence and legal opinions that PIF is independent and autonomous of the Saudi Arabian government."

2 - "The club and its owners do not accept that Premier League chief executive Richard Masters and the Premier League have acted appropriately in relation to this matter and will be considering all relevant options available to them."

Lawyers for all parties will now be watching with interest - and it feels like this long-running saga just took a new twist. We'd heard for a few weeks that discussions were continuing between the consortium and the club. PIF, Amanda Staveley's PCP Capital Partners and the Reuben Brothers all remain "committed" to the deal and Ashley has made it clear that he is too. There has been quiet work going on: political manoeuvring and strategies discussed.

The Premier League fought back the other week when they spoke to the NUST, saying no commitments were even given and no-one ever said there were "no red flags", but it's understood the consortium disputed that and felt assurances had been given to Newcastle United. Perhaps any action may revolve around this point. This certainly won't have discouraged the consortium, who say they have been "fighting" behind-the-scenes to keep this deal alive.

We now know is Ashley on their side and that is some financial muscle trying to move the Premier League. Either way a situation that has been bubbling away since the takeover was withdrawn is now firmly back on the agenda.

This could get very messy.

Read More - NUFC explosive statement: What it means

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
The Premier League respond to Mike Ashley . . .

"We are disappointed and surprised by the Newcastle United statement regarding its potential takeover by PCP/Ruebens/PIF.

"The club’s assertion that the Premier League has rejected the takeover is incorrect".

"The Premier League board has, on a number of occasions, given its opinion about what entities it believes would have control over the club should the consortium proceed with the acquisition. That opinion is based on legal advice."

"This means the potential takeover could proceed to the next stage should the relevant entities provide all appropriate information."

"They should then be subject to a suitability assessment by the board."

"As an alternative, the board has repeatedly offered independent arbitration as a way forward since June."

"It is also incorrect to suggest these decisions were taken by an individual; they were agreed unanimously by all Premier League board members."

Read More - Premier League deny it officially rejected the Newcastle United takeover

2481 - 2490 of 2490 Posts