Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These two centres are horrible. They look horrible, inside they're cramped and the shop offering is poor. When the Arena opens, it will be hidden away behind both of these-directly cut off from the city centre. And don't even get me started on the useless piece of 80s crap that is the Core.

This led me to think-if Manchester and Birmingham can revamp their main two indoor city-centre malls, why can't we refurbish ours? (Money problems asdie obviously)

These two centres form the main shopping & nightlife Avenue from the Headrow to the end of the city centre, and they should reflect that. A single wide boulevard could cut through the two, crossing Merrion Street by a link Bridge and coming out next to the Arena (opposite the Stick or Twist)

This would allow a vast improvement on the Woodhouse Lane/Albion Street frontage, while the MSCP at the Merrion could be expanded, with improved access off Wade Lane to make up for the loss of the SJC MSCP.

Dortmund Square could then be given better access from Albion Street, Merrion Street Gardens opened up to view, Merrion House given a huge revamp/reclad/get replaced and new bars/clubs could open up near the Arena, massivley expanding the 'top of town' where a large amount of the nightlife is focused.

This would remove some of the most hideous architecture in the cfity centre, and, with the opening of the Eastgate quarters, would lead to a reconnecting of New Briggate to the retail core, as it (and Merrion Street) would now be slap bang between two 'hubs' of the city centre.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
There are too many competing interests (TCS for one thing), and technically they have both had refurbishments in recent years.

Leeds would look less dated as a city if they were demolished, and there would be a little more substance behind our claims to be a shopping capital. Manchester doesn't really have any dated shopping areas (although it has one crap one though)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielrobot/215342802/

·
Banned
2,138 Posts
Merrion centre is the one which needs knocking down, the buildings above it too, wade house and merrion house, they both clearly need knocking down, the whole site needs clearing up and a fresh start.

1960's concrete horrors don't do Leeds any favours!!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Would personally not want the St Johns or Merrion Centres demolished imo considering their demolitions would presumably leave either just an empty waste land or an inevitable car park.

Surely an extensive refurbishment of both would be better imo especially as the creation of an arena would be a perfect opportunity to revitalise both. Also I quite like Wade House myself.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
And you are forgetting - the Merrion is actually arguably our most successful mixed use centre?... Busy at all times of day despite fringe location. Pioneer of Leeds city centre supermarket. Manages bowling, nightclub and offices alongside shops and parking AND a market!...

Might not be great to look at, but one hell of a success! I think the Arena will be a real shot in the arm for the Merrion - perhaps attracting a few more bars and restaurants to any empty units.

AND, if they do a refurb job on the 2 big towers anything like as good as the one they did on the smaller tower then we are in for a treat at some point!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not saying it's not a success (which IMO is down to the fact there's a Morrisons there and only that), but that it looks hideous.

A nicer centre, with bigger shops for existing tenants & new space, as well as more bars, restaurants etc. would be great-and getting Odeon back into the centre could be part of that-either them or AMI as part of the deal.

Giving us a nice-looking, all-singing, all-dancing centre that expands the core and gives much better links between the Headrow & the Arena.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys! This is my first post, though I've been reading the forums for quite a while. I'm a fresher at Leeds Uni, originally from Lincoln though.

I actually work at Morrisons in the Merrion Centre and totally agree that both the St. John's Centre and the Merrion Centre are hideous and it gives of the total wrong impression of Leeds.

The recent refurbishment of the Merrion Centre is crap. I really despise the mirrors above the shop frontages on Woodhouse Lane for a start, it looks so cheap and isn't uniform. The whole centre should be reclad on the outside, including both of the office blocks. Oceana is an absolute eyesore.

I'd love to see a bridge between the two shopping centres across the loop road, though I realise that they are on two different levels due to the offices directly above the St. John's Centre. The way the floor slopes down from the Merrion Centre to the pedestrian crossing looks wierd too - how difficult would it be to put in a couple of escalators and a lift? Everytime I go in to the Centre that way and it's been raining, the floor is so slippery and half if it is normally cordoned off!

It really gives a bad impression of that end of town, bearing in mind that this is just down the road from Millenium Square and The Headrow. It's disappointing that nothing has really been done. From an outsider's perspective, it looks dire.

Sorry for the really long first post, but these two shopping centres are such a blot on the landscape.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Hey guys! This is my first post, though I've been reading the forums for quite a while. I'm a fresher at Leeds Uni, originally from Lincoln though.

I actually work at Morrisons in the Merrion Centre and totally agree that both the St. John's Centre and the Merrion Centre are hideous and it gives of the total wrong impression of Leeds.

The recent refurbishment of the Merrion Centre is crap. I really despise the mirrors above the shop frontages on Woodhouse Lane for a start, it looks so cheap and isn't uniform. The whole centre should be reclad on the outside, including both of the office blocks. Oceana is an absolute eyesore.

I'd love to see a bridge between the two shopping centres across the loop road, though I realise that they are on two different levels due to the offices directly above the St. John's Centre. The way the floor slopes down from the Merrion Centre to the pedestrian crossing looks wierd too - how difficult would it be to put in a couple of escalators and a lift? Everytime I go in to the Centre that way and it's been raining, the floor is so slippery and half if it is normally cordoned off!

It really gives a bad impression of that end of town, bearing in mind that this is just down the road from Millenium Square and The Headrow. It's disappointing that nothing has really been done. From an outsider's perspective, it looks dire.

Sorry for the really long first post, but these two shopping centres are such a blot on the landscape.

Welcome to the forum.

A big part of the problem is, as LeedsLad points out, that the Merrion Centre is doing very well indeed and is a major money spinner for TCS. One hesitates to wish for a repeat of the IRA bombing of Manchester but that event certainly rid the Mancunians of one or two architectural horrors.

·
ßANNED
4,233 Posts
And you are forgetting - the Merrion is actually arguably our most successful mixed use centre?... Busy at all times of day despite fringe location. Pioneer of Leeds city centre supermarket. Manages bowling, nightclub and offices alongside shops and parking AND a market!...

Might not be great to look at, but one hell of a success! I think the Arena will be a real shot in the arm for the Merrion - perhaps attracting a few more bars and restaurants to any empty units.

AND, if they do a refurb job on the 2 big towers anything like as good as the one they did on the smaller tower then we are in for a treat at some point!
Well said. People who focus solely on architecture and aesthetics and not the bigger picture miss the point about just how successful the Merrion is, and how it provides a vital location for cheaper shops. Not everyone in Leeds can afford Harvey Nicks. And definitely the Arena will smarten the place up no end - the refurb process is happening gradually, but I'm sure it'll accelerate as even more of the centre is filled up with higher quality leisure occupiers towards the arena end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts